O/C P4 1.8A: with RDRAM or DDR?

G

Hi everyone,

can someone tell me if I should go with RDRAM or DDR to
overclock a P4 1.8A? I would like to run it at 2.4GHz.

I have seen numerous contradicting posts as to which one
allows better overclocking. If I go with RDRAM, I will have
to run it 18x133, right? If the RDRAM can't handle it, can
I switch the RDRAM divider to 3x instead of 4x in order to
have 400MHz FSB? Is this mobo dependant, or all RDRAM mobos
can do this?

And if I go with DDR, should I get a PC2700 module? At what
speed will the DDR need to run in order to get 2.4GHz?

Thanks for all your help!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Samsung RDRAM can usually be overclocked by 33%, while PC2700 cannot. At stock speed, they are close to each other in performance, but overclocking the RDRAM by 33% while using a lower ratio for the DDR SDRAM will always put the RDRAM in the winners circle.
To recap, Samsung PC800 can usually go to PC1066 standards, giving it 4200MB/s, while PC2700 can't overclock so easily, requiring a lower ratio to overclock and thus less performance increase. Go with RDRAM until someone gets around to releasing a dual channel DDR board.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

I overclocked my p4 1.6a to 2.25, my ram is at 166x2 (pc3000 512mb cas2.0) with bandwith of 2890/mbs where rdram is 2450/mbs.. (sandra)
oh, the mobo is abit sd7-533, which allows me to change the multiplyer easyly. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by oproject on 04/21/02 04:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

OK, I went to the Abit site and they say that the SD7-533
officially accepts up to PC2700 DDR. But does it run OK
with the PC3000 DDR that you mention? And where on earth
can I find PC3000 DDR CAS2??? Here in the UK, we'll be
lucky to find PC2100 DDR CAS2 !!!

Anyway, thank you all for your comments... I think I will
go down the RDRAM route. Unless I can find a place to
order some PC3000 CAS2 ram :)

FatBurger

Illustrious
with bandwith of 2890/mbs where rdram is 2450/mbs..

That's funny, my RDRAM is running at 3500MB/s in Sandra, which is where his would be when he gets to his 33% OC.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I already told you DDR SDRAM does not have the bandwidth in any overclocked state to compete with RDRAM at PC1066 for the P4, if you want to ignore the best advice you go ahead and take the consequences. If you can get some DDR400, aka PC3200, it will be OK, but still stomped by a similar system using RDRAM at 133bus, which would have 4200MB/s.

G

OK, you people convinced me! I'll go with RDRAM no matter
what. Just one more question: Does it HAVE to be Samsung
RDRAM? Is it the only one that can be overclocked 33%?

Maybe is it worth waiting for the RIMM modules that are
designed to run at 533 MHz QDR? You know, the ones that
will support the P4 2533 etc...

Once again, you've all been very helpful.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Samsung is the best right now. If you want to wait any amount of time, Dual Channel DDR SDRAM boards should be out some time in June, which will put the favor back on DDR, but who knows how long until newly released boards actually reach the shelves.

G

Crashman, do you know which manufacturer will release a dual-DDR chipset for the P4?

I hope it's Intel. I have never had problems with Intel chipsets, while many people had problems with (early at least) VIA chipsets and ALI ones. You know, incompatibilities between components and poor performance (at least on Intel platforms). Don't know about SiS though...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
SiS has historically been a very problematic company. They turned completely around with the 735 chipset and have been nearly faultless since. And they have always admitted to their problems in the past. They are most likely to be the first to introduce a DC DDR chipset for the P4, I expect Intel to follow suit.