Solaris 9 and firewall

Last response: in Networking
a b 8 Security
April 21, 2004 7:41:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.unix.solaris,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

I got a box running Solaris 9, which has 2 NIC: 1) 192.168.1.1 2)
192.168.3.1.
For example, there are 2 ordinary users:1) u1 2)u2. how can i restrict
u1 to use interface 1 and use only interface 2, while u2 vice versa?
is it posssible?
TIA.

More about : solaris firewall

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 21, 2004 9:18:43 AM

Archived from groups: comp.unix.solaris,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

In article <2c5bc430.0404210241.4e2f1d35@posting.google.com>,
pennywise@softhome.net (Alex Z) wrote:

> I got a box running Solaris 9, which has 2 NIC: 1) 192.168.1.1 2)
> 192.168.3.1.
> For example, there are 2 ordinary users:1) u1 2)u2. how can i restrict
> u1 to use interface 1 and use only interface 2, while u2 vice versa?
> is it posssible?
> TIA.

set up a different hostname and IP address in /etc/hosts. Turn on NIS
and setup a netgroups entry for each hostname and only allow u1 on
host-1 and u2 on host-2. I don't know if you can do this without
netgroups or NIS. Maybe you could with LDAP but definitely not with
only local files unless you code a custom /etc/profile entry to check
the hostname and username and logout if they use the wrong hostname.