AMD Restructures Entire CPU Lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richeemxx

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
The new naming scheme 'should' eliminate some of the confusion that is out there now. The only problem is that all the chips we have now will still be on the market and there will be some overlap as always in terms of performance.

To bad we can't go pack to the simple Athlon days. The xp1700 is fast, xp1800 is faster xp2500 is even faster. None of this 3-4 different series of chips being outed crap!

retrig

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
The reason is that AMD reportedly wants to emphasize its corporate AMD Vision trademark and focus consumer attention to its corporate brand.

I wonder if AMD is throwing in the towel as far as consumer processors go...

G

Who cares what they name the end product I just want to know if Bulldozer is going to end up being as fast as an i7 core to core.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]retrig[/nom]I wonder if AMD is throwing in the towel as far as consumer processors go...[/citation]

No, they're not. What this does, though, is divide the upcoming technologies we're going to be seeing from AMD.

The new APUs sound very intriguing :)

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
It is confusing now but this will simplify things down the road. The idea is to take more of the thinking and research out of the equation for the common consumer. Right now a Phenom, depending on which model could fall into at least two of those categories.

fishrule

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
The new naming scheme helps convey the appropriate performance level of AMD CPUs.

FX= Slow
A Series= Slower
E Series= Slowest

Inferno1217

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
AMD was at their best with the FX lineup which leads me to believe they have something great. Not a fan of either company. I just want the best product for the dollar.[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Uhh, this should be an "AMD Radeon" correct? Didn't they drop the ATI naming scheme? With that said, simple typo or is this claim bogus?[/citation]

longshotthe1st

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]another naming scheme again? confusing...[/citation]
Really? You are actually confused? Or are you just trolling?

luke904

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
"Vision is AMD's contribution, which comes with the intention of simplifying the purchasing for folks who know what they want to do with their PC and don't care to learn the intricate sub-component technical nuances to make a buying decision. Will we do the same with Llano and Zambezi? You'll have to wait and see."

I dont like this, naming schemes need to informative to people who know the "technical nuances" as well as simple to the idiots.

a produce number should incorporate these things:
# of cores
clockspeed
generation
some sort of indication of cache if needed

Phenom II x4 965 does ok at this
-second generation phenom
-clockspeed differences between chips can be interpreted (965 vs 955)
-quad core shown by x4
-9 series means 6 megs of L3, 8 series means 4 megs of L3

an improvement would be something like:
Phenom II 4634 = 4 cores, 6 meg L3 cache, 3.4 Ghz
or just drop the 6 as its not that important
Phenom II 434
if there was a version with less cache then you could add a "B" to it or something

434>432>328
easy for consumer^

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]fishrule[/nom]The new naming scheme helps convey the appropriate performance level of AMD CPUs.FX= SlowA Series= SlowerE Series= Slowest[/citation]

But good prices and good overclocking potential = a smart decision to go with AMD ;)

But yeah 4GHZ sandbridge i7 ftw.

tychoblu

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]fishrule[/nom]The new naming scheme helps convey the appropriate performance level of AMD CPUs.FX= SlowA Series= SlowerE Series= Slowest[/citation]
lol

kashtr0_305

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Why the hell would I want to pay a premium for an APU core that will include a graphics processor that I'll never even use? No way AMD! Oh well, I hope they continue their GPU technological evolution and not throw the baby out with the bath water -- so-to-speak!

Status
Not open for further replies.