  • Fax
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
January 31, 2005 1:23:06 PM

Now that I have broadband, I want to use just one phoneline for fax, email
etc. (In the past I have had a separate fax number). I cannot work out how to
make the fax use a different number. Can anyone help please?

More about : fax phone line

January 31, 2005 1:35:14 PM

i am no expertr either.
i have a stand alone fax on my home phone line and am tring to switch to the
computer with high speed.
however, with my stand alone fax i needed a separte number (ident-a-call)
service from my phone provider, this number was "underneath" my existing
number and used the same line. it cost $5.- a month
maybe thats hat you need.

"Midge" wrote:

> Now that I have broadband, I want to use just one phoneline for fax, email
> etc. (In the past I have had a separate fax number). I cannot work out how to
> make the fax use a different number. Can anyone help please?
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 1:45:03 PM

Thanks Rudy. I don't have a stand-alone fax though. When I first set up the
computer, I must have somehow told it which phone number to use for faxes and
which for emails.....but now can't remember what I did!

"rudy" wrote:

> i am no expertr either.
> i have a stand alone fax on my home phone line and am tring to switch to the
> computer with high speed.
> however, with my stand alone fax i needed a separte number (ident-a-call)
> service from my phone provider, this number was "underneath" my existing
> number and used the same line. it cost $5.- a month
> maybe thats hat you need.
>
> "Midge" wrote:
>
> > Now that I have broadband, I want to use just one phoneline for fax, email
> > etc. (In the past I have had a separate fax number). I cannot work out how to
> > make the fax use a different number. Can anyone help please?
January 31, 2005 4:37:53 PM

Windows XP does not support Distinctive Ring:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272943
Distinctive Ring Is Not Supported by Windows 2000 Fax

As such, there's no separate phone number for the Fax service. If your
broadband service is DSL over your telephone line, sending a fax one of two
methods:

1. You obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard voice
telephone to the DSL line, then connect your analog fax modem to the line
through the line filter. Your DSL provider has these filters, so does your
local Radio Shack store:

http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=C...(keyword)

2. You hire an Internet E-faxing service:

http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm#intern...
Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
http://www.savetz.com/fax/
FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?

If your broadband service is cable or wireless, you'll still need a
telephone line and an analog fax modem or an E-faxing service.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

"Midge" <Midge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Rudy. I don't have a stand-alone fax though. When I first set up
the
> computer, I must have somehow told it which phone number to use for faxes
and
> which for emails.....but now can't remember what I did!
>
> "rudy" wrote:
>
> > i am no expertr either.
> > i have a stand alone fax on my home phone line and am tring to switch to
the
> > computer with high speed.
> > however, with my stand alone fax i needed a separte number
(ident-a-call)
> > service from my phone provider, this number was "underneath" my existing
> > number and used the same line. it cost $5.- a month
> > maybe thats hat you need.
> >
> > "Midge" wrote:
> >
> > > Now that I have broadband, I want to use just one phoneline for fax,
email
> > > etc. (In the past I have had a separate fax number). I cannot work out
how to
> > > make the fax use a different number. Can anyone help please?
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 3:03:12 AM

> Now that I have broadband, I want to use just one phoneline for
> fax, email
> etc. (In the past I have had a separate fax number). I cannot work
> out how to
> make the fax use a different number. Can anyone help please?

Fax machines or fax modems do not know anything about incoming
telephone numbers. The fax machine or fax modem will answer any
line to which it is attached if you set it for auto-answer. You
just have to tell your correspondents which number to dial. You
have to have a communications program which can tell the difference
between an incoming fax and data call. Programs from Smith Micro
can do that. Don't you use your broad band for email? What would
you need a data line for now? You still have to have a voice line
unless you have VoIP phone service.

--
Earl F. Parrish
!