Fax/phone line

Now that I have broadband, I want to use just one phoneline for fax, email
etc. (In the past I have had a separate fax number). I cannot work out how to
make the fax use a different number. Can anyone help please?
4 answers Last reply
More about phone line

    i am no expertr either.
    i have a stand alone fax on my home phone line and am tring to switch to the
    computer with high speed.
    however, with my stand alone fax i needed a separte number (ident-a-call)
    service from my phone provider, this number was "underneath" my existing
    number and used the same line. it cost $5.- a month
    maybe thats hat you need.

    "Midge" wrote:

    > Now that I have broadband, I want to use just one phoneline for fax, email
    > etc. (In the past I have had a separate fax number). I cannot work out how to
    > make the fax use a different number. Can anyone help please?

    Thanks Rudy. I don't have a stand-alone fax though. When I first set up the
    computer, I must have somehow told it which phone number to use for faxes and
    which for emails.....but now can't remember what I did!

    "rudy" wrote:

    > i am no expertr either.
    > i have a stand alone fax on my home phone line and am tring to switch to the
    > computer with high speed.
    > however, with my stand alone fax i needed a separte number (ident-a-call)
    > service from my phone provider, this number was "underneath" my existing
    > number and used the same line. it cost $5.- a month
    > maybe thats hat you need.
    >
    > "Midge" wrote:
    >
    > > Now that I have broadband, I want to use just one phoneline for fax, email
    > > etc. (In the past I have had a separate fax number). I cannot work out how to
    > > make the fax use a different number. Can anyone help please?

    Windows XP does not support Distinctive Ring:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272943
    Distinctive Ring Is Not Supported by Windows 2000 Fax

    As such, there's no separate phone number for the Fax service. If your
    broadband service is DSL over your telephone line, sending a fax one of two
    methods:

    1. You obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard voice
    telephone to the DSL line, then connect your analog fax modem to the line
    through the line filter. Your DSL provider has these filters, so does your
    local Radio Shack store:

    http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F004%5F004%5F002%5F000&Page=1&find=dsl%20filter(keyword)

    2. You hire an Internet E-faxing service:

    http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm#internetfax
    Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
    http://www.savetz.com/fax/
    FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?

    If your broadband service is cable or wireless, you'll still need a
    telephone line and an analog fax modem or an E-faxing service.

    Hal
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

    > Now that I have broadband, I want to use just one phoneline for
    > fax, email
    > etc. (In the past I have had a separate fax number). I cannot work
    > out how to
    > make the fax use a different number. Can anyone help please?

    Fax machines or fax modems do not know anything about incoming
    telephone numbers. The fax machine or fax modem will answer any
    line to which it is attached if you set it for auto-answer. You
    just have to tell your correspondents which number to dial. You
    have to have a communications program which can tell the difference
    between an incoming fax and data call. Programs from Smith Micro
    can do that. Don't you use your broad band for email? What would
    you need a data line for now? You still have to have a voice line
    unless you have VoIP phone service.

    --
    Earl F. Parrish

Phones Fax Microsoft Windows XP