Athlon XP cooling

Any suggestions? I was going to go water cooling, but i have no experience with it (yet). Are there any good HSF's for the athlons? I'm going to get a soltek-sl75drv5 mobo.

"If you wear a turtleneck and a backpack, it's like a weak midget is on your back strangling you"
18 answers Last reply
More about athlon cooling
  1. There are many "good" HSF`s for Athlons...trouble is none rival water cooling in hot air. The avowed best is the Silverado 462 at 80 bucks. Get a water cooler for 20 bucks more. You won`t regret it. Look at the experience you will gain. Goodluck

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.
  2. but here are the things i must consider 1. I've never done water cooling before but i've done a lot of research about it and 2. I'm going to college next year and i'm kinda scared about losing this great water cooled system. I'm still considering it though.

"If you wear a turtleneck and a backpack, it's like a weak midget is on your back strangling you"
  3. the best air cooler are the SWIFTECH range.
  4. The Volcano 7+ is a good hsf to use for the cpu chip. thats good to use keeps it at a good temurature, It has 3 temp controls so the you can have L, M, H.

\\\//3// 7//3 31337 (0///3 |=0|2 J0/\ 83 |234|)j!!!1
  5. I was going to suggest the Thermalright AX-7 but I'm not sure it will fit your chosen motherboard. The AX-7 is an 80x80 heatsink. From the sl75drv5 picture I am looking at there appears to be a capacitor that might be in the way (near corner).

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>
  6. yea...i also heard that the msi board has probs with larger hatsinks like the ax-7
  7. I bought an AX7 yesterday. It's an alright heat sink, but mounting isn't what I would call fun. Put a 80mm Sunon High-Output fan on it and it does well at really low dba.

I think it should work with that motherboard. I used it on a MSI K7T-Turbo and it has capasitors all around the socket.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>
  8. Not fun? Do mean it has a bad clip? Barely fits? What?

How does it perform with that Sunon? What temperatures are you seeing?

I forgot to mention that the AX-7 is one of those choose-your-own-fan heatsinks. I definitely would not want the 56 dBA fan mentioned at the Thermalright site. I don't care if it does pump 80 CFM.

I wasn't sure about the fit on the SL75DRV5, that's why I mentioned it. I know other 80x80 heatsinks didn't fit the SL75DRV4 (4 not 5) without modification. The SL75DRV5 looks like it has the same capacitor stuck right at the corner of the socket. Anyway, I would advise anyone to check with the mobo manufacturer regarding the fit of large heatsinks.

9. The clip is hard to get to and the only part to grasp with anything that will fit is too small. I had my small flat head screw driver slip off too many times. I finally got it on by pushing the clip on the oposite side. Seemed to fit snug and didn't ruin anything.

The Sunon fan works really well. I had a OCZ Goliath before with a delta fan and it gets a little better temps then that. With the Sunon I get 40C average CPU temp. The case temp runs at about 27C at room temp of 23C. The OCZ with the Delta I get basically the same with a CPU temp of 41C average.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>
  10. Oh do I know about those crappy clips! I saw a picture of using a nut driver to install some clips, the ones with just a little bent piece of metal instead of a slot for a screwdriver. Supposed the nut driver won't slip. Unfortunately, my nut driver sockets aren't the thin wall type and would fit over the little tab of metal. I have an Evercool heatsink which are notorious for have tight clips.

Your results sound great. The Goliath is a really good heatsink and to better that with something quiet is quite an accomplishment.

11. I wanted a Panaflo fan so I could retrofit my whole case with quiet fans, but I can't wait for UPS :smile: . It's nice and quiet with the Sunon compared to the Delta Fans anyway, so I'm happy!

I would recommend the AX7 for everything unless you are looking for ease of installation. I get good temps and I like the idea of a built in fan adapter. Keeps you from buying a fan adapter for any other heat sink like I was going to do with the OCZ Goliath.

12. lol...i ordered the same heatsink with a delta fan...i had the 47 cfm panaflo in my cart but when i went to finalize my order it said that is was on back order...crushing...i did get thermaltake fan control for the delta so hopefully it wont be so noisy...more importantly though...would u advise putting a shim on the cpu because the heatsink was so difficult to put on...only other heatsink i have put on is a stock amd and that was pretty difficult
  13. thanks for your input. Is the Thermalright AX7 a good hsf? would an 80cfm fan be way too much?

14. I actually already have a shim because I don't want to take the risk. I would suggest getting one just because they are cheap and it's well worth it! I couldn't tell you if it helped in this situation or not, but I know that it couldn't have hurt to have it!

So far I think it's an excellent heat sink!

15. A few more questions and thanks in advance.

What's your CPU and clockspeed?

What is the noise level of that Sunon fan?

Have you tested with more mundane fans of the 30 and 40 CFM variety? I'm curious just how efficent the AX-7 heatsink really is.

16. My clock is 1GHz. Not OC'ed.

The Sunon fan specs:::
    39-CFM
    32-dba

I haven't tried other fans on this heat sink, but have tried other heat sinks with stock Delta fans that yeild about the same results.

17. Hmmm, I wasn't expecting you to say 1 ghz. I'll have to test my own system at that speed to compare temps (not that it really matters because the AX-7 won't fit my motherboard). With my current heatsink and my system fully warmed up (about 2 hours) I get an idle temp of 44 degrees and full load (Toast) is 49 degrees. This is the worst case (until summer). Room temperature was about 24 degrees and CPU is at 1333 mhz (overclocked from 1000mhz). This is a full 3 degrees worse than my previous heatsink which had a Delta 60x60x25 (don't know which model) but the new HSF is only about 2/3 as loud.

I'm not totally happy with this heatsink because I
    no longer have stability at 1500mhz unless room temperature is around 20 degrees or lower.

Is your average CPU temp of 40 degrees with the CPU at full load?

I'm puzzled by my own heatsink testing. I originally had an Evercool ND-8 (w/ Delta) which is a really small aluminum heatsink. My CPU at 1500mhz was stable (although I only used it in this config for a few days) with temps ranging from 52 degrees to 60 degrees. Now I have a copper heatsink and temps are in the 46-52 range but it is not stable, not at 1500mhz.

18. I actually don't OC too much at all. No need right now.

All temps listed are idle.

Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Water Cooling Cooling Windows XP Overclocking