water vs. air cool

jedge78

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2002
I was reading the cooling solution rankings on overclockers.com and their doesn't seem to be a huge performance advantage to water cooling in comparison with one of the upper end heatsinks. ie the difference between the AX-7 heatsink with a delta fan and the average water cooling system (aside from noise) assuming you have a well ventilated case. Is there something I am missing here?
Thanx

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
you can get much colder with water than with air (generally), and cold is good as far as overclocking goes, and of course, the noise. My cpu idles under 30C (1400 @ 1700 2.05V) under load doesnt go near 40C anymore, no chance of getting that with air (unless I lived in an igloo...)

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

Garasaki

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2002
Yeah, I think you're missing the noise feature. Also, you can cool your GPU and CPU on the same system...

And water-cooling does perform A LOT better when done correctly!

svol

Champion
I have a watercooling and under full load my temp is 34C instead of 37C. Also with watercooling you temp won't rise that much if you OC.

<b>THGC:</b> before: :frown: :eek: , after: :smile: :cool: .

jedge78

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2002
couple of question then...what is the best water cooling solution for the money and is it better to but a kit or the separate parts? Guess ill just have to convince my sis that she needs the ax-7 i just ordered for myself :) water cooling it is

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
it all depends on your budget, and your rig, <A HREF="http://www.calvsplace.cec.net" target="_new">heres my setup</A> may give you an idea or two.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

svol

Champion
For me it depended on which parts I could get nearby without buying it in another country. I like the Swiftech Waterblocs... but you will have to look at some OC sites to find tests between differnt systems.
I bought separate parts because there wheren't good kits to get here, but a kit saves you much building time. And you always got watercoolingcases like Koolance.

<b>THGC:</b> before: :frown: :eek: , after: :smile: :cool: .