Printer won't install

January 31, 2005 7:49:06 PM

When my PC detects my printer (DeskJet340), it starts the installation, but
aborts the wizard stating "There was a problem installing this hardware. An
error occurred during the installation of this device. The data is invalid".
Can anyone help me how to resolve this? I have tried to install it manually
using the wizard, as well, but it won't install.
Any help is appreciated.

Periwinkle

More about : printer install

Anonymous
January 31, 2005 8:33:05 PM

Thank you for the post. I have used the wizard in the XP in 2 different ways:
- 1 - to let the system detect "New Hardware" and attempt to install it
automatically; and
- 2 - to use the "Add New Printer" wizard from the Printers and Faxes
section in the Control Panel.
Both ways have resulted in the installation aborting, and telling me that
they cannot finish. I have tried both the 340 standard and the 340
(Monochrome) version, but they both end up with the same result.
I'm stumped.

Periwinkle

"periwinkle" wrote:

> When my PC detects my printer (DeskJet340), it starts the installation, but
> aborts the wizard stating "There was a problem installing this hardware. An
> error occurred during the installation of this device. The data is invalid".
> Can anyone help me how to resolve this? I have tried to install it manually
> using the wizard, as well, but it won't install.
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Periwinkle
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 10:13:15 PM

Open your Control Panel and click on the "Add Hardware" icon­.
The "Add Hardware Wizard" will appear.

1. Click on Next and place a dot next to "Yes, I have alrea­dy connected the hardware".
2. Click Next and scroll all the way down to "Add a new har­dware device".
3. Click once to highlight it and click Next.
4. Place a dot next to "Install the hardware that I manuall­y select from a list (Advanced)".
5. Click Next and scroll down to "Printers", click once to ­highlight and click Next.
6. Place a dot next to "Use the following port" and click N­ext.
7. In the "Install Printer Software Screen", on the left si­de scroll down to "HP"
and click once to highlight, then in the right-side scr­oll down to
"HP DeskJet 340", click on it to highlight, then ­click Next to install the software.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"periwinkle" wrote:

| When my PC detects my printer (DeskJet340), it starts the installation, but
| aborts the wizard stating "There was a problem installing this hardware. An
| error occurred during the installation of this device. The data is invalid".
| Can anyone help me how to resolve this? I have tried to install it manually
| using the wizard, as well, but it won't install.
| Any help is appreciated.
|
| Periwinkle
January 31, 2005 10:13:16 PM

Thank you for the reply.
I have tried this way of installing. After it begins installing the driver,
the system tells me "Printer Driver was not installed. Operation could not be
completed". I have a feeling that there's something wrong with the drivers in
the XP, but I'm unable to verify this. Thank you, againa.

Periwinkle

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Open your Control Panel and click on the "Add Hardware" icon­.
> The "Add Hardware Wizard" will appear.
>
> 1. Click on Next and place a dot next to "Yes, I have alrea­dy connected the hardware".
> 2. Click Next and scroll all the way down to "Add a new har­dware device".
> 3. Click once to highlight it and click Next.
> 4. Place a dot next to "Install the hardware that I manuall­y select from a list (Advanced)".
> 5. Click Next and scroll down to "Printers", click once to ­highlight and click Next.
> 6. Place a dot next to "Use the following port" and click N­ext.
> 7. In the "Install Printer Software Screen", on the left si­de scroll down to "HP"
> and click once to highlight, then in the right-side scr­oll down to
> "HP DeskJet 340", click on it to highlight, then ­click Next to install the software.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

> "periwinkle" wrote:
>
> | When my PC detects my printer (DeskJet340), it starts the installation, but
> | aborts the wizard stating "There was a problem installing this hardware. An
> | error occurred during the installation of this device. The data is invalid".
> | Can anyone help me how to resolve this? I have tried to install it manually
> | using the wizard, as well, but it won't install.
> | Any help is appreciated.
> |
> | Periwinkle

Anonymous
February 1, 2005 4:09:06 AM

periwinkle wrote:
> When my PC detects my printer (DeskJet340), it starts the
> installation, but aborts the wizard stating "There was a problem
> installing this hardware. An error occurred during the installation
> of this device. The data is invalid". Can anyone help me how to
> resolve this? I have tried to install it manually using the wizard,
> as well, but it won't install.
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Periwinkle

There is no Windows XP or 2000 driver for this printer. How are you
installing it? If you're using the CD it will not work (you cannot use 9x
drivers under XP). The only driver is the native one - is that what you're
using?

Suggest you uninstall and reinstall the unit properly

If that doesn't work, then you might consider purchasing an XP-compatible
printer.

on salads.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 4:11:04 PM

Has anyone helped you with this? I have the exact same frustrating problem.
It seems as though there are no drivers available via the add printer wizard.
Downloading the drivers results in the very generic error "Printer driver

"periwinkle" wrote:

> Thank you for the post. I have used the wizard in the XP in 2 different ways:
> - 1 - to let the system detect "New Hardware" and attempt to install it
> automatically; and
> - 2 - to use the "Add New Printer" wizard from the Printers and Faxes
> section in the Control Panel.
> Both ways have resulted in the installation aborting, and telling me that
> they cannot finish. I have tried both the 340 standard and the 340
> (Monochrome) version, but they both end up with the same result.
> I'm stumped.
>
> Periwinkle
>
> "periwinkle" wrote:
>
> > When my PC detects my printer (DeskJet340), it starts the installation, but
> > aborts the wizard stating "There was a problem installing this hardware. An
> > error occurred during the installation of this device. The data is invalid".
> > Can anyone help me how to resolve this? I have tried to install it manually
> > using the wizard, as well, but it won't install.
> > Any help is appreciated.
> >
> > Periwinkle
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 4:36:42 PM

They are definitely included
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293378

Try the drivers for the DeskJet 500 if everything else has failed. They are
about the most generic driver that is possible to get.
www.coribright.com

"DWildner" <DWildner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone helped you with this? I have the exact same frustrating
> problem.
> It seems as though there are no drivers available via the add printer
> wizard.
> Downloading the drivers results in the very generic error "Printer driver
> was not installed. Operation could not be completed."
>
> "periwinkle" wrote:
>
>> Thank you for the post. I have used the wizard in the XP in 2 different
>> ways:
>> - 1 - to let the system detect "New Hardware" and attempt to install it
>> automatically; and
>> - 2 - to use the "Add New Printer" wizard from the Printers and Faxes
>> section in the Control Panel.
>> Both ways have resulted in the installation aborting, and telling me that
>> they cannot finish. I have tried both the 340 standard and the 340
>> (Monochrome) version, but they both end up with the same result.
>> I'm stumped.
>>
>> Periwinkle
>>
>> "periwinkle" wrote:
>>
>> > When my PC detects my printer (DeskJet340), it starts the installation,
>> > but
>> > aborts the wizard stating "There was a problem installing this
>> > hardware. An
>> > error occurred during the installation of this device. The data is
>> > invalid".
>> > Can anyone help me how to resolve this? I have tried to install it
>> > manually
>> > using the wizard, as well, but it won't install.
>> > Any help is appreciated.
>> >
>> > Periwinkle

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 4:59:05 PM

My problem is that the drivers don't appear in the wizard. I know they're
supposed to be there, but the only one that appears in the list is "Dell
Photo Printer 720".
I have downloaded the appropriate drivers from the manufacturer and can
follow the "Have Disk" link in the wizard to get the driver to appear. But
when I finish the driver I get the message "Printer driver was not installed.
Operation could not be completed."
David

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> They are definitely included
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293378
>
> Try the drivers for the DeskJet 500 if everything else has failed. They are
> about the most generic driver that is possible to get.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing & Imaging
> www.coribright.com
>
> "DWildner" <DWildner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Has anyone helped you with this? I have the exact same frustrating
> > problem.
> > It seems as though there are no drivers available via the add printer
> > wizard.
> > Downloading the drivers results in the very generic error "Printer driver
> > was not installed. Operation could not be completed."
> >
> > "periwinkle" wrote:
> >
> >> Thank you for the post. I have used the wizard in the XP in 2 different
> >> ways:
> >> - 1 - to let the system detect "New Hardware" and attempt to install it
> >> automatically; and
> >> - 2 - to use the "Add New Printer" wizard from the Printers and Faxes
> >> section in the Control Panel.
> >> Both ways have resulted in the installation aborting, and telling me that
> >> they cannot finish. I have tried both the 340 standard and the 340
> >> (Monochrome) version, but they both end up with the same result.
> >> I'm stumped.
> >>
> >> Periwinkle

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 1:52:57 PM

Run a System File Check.....

From the command prompt, type

sfc /scannow

(note the space between the c and the /)

> My problem is that the drivers don't appear in the wizard. I know they're
> supposed to be there, but the only one that appears in the list is "Dell
> Photo Printer 720".
> I have downloaded the appropriate drivers from the manufacturer and can
> follow the "Have Disk" link in the wizard to get the driver to appear.
> But
> when I finish the driver I get the message "Printer driver was not
> installed.
> Operation could not be completed."
> David
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> They are definitely included
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293378
>>
>> Try the drivers for the DeskJet 500 if everything else has failed. They
>> are
>> about the most generic driver that is possible to get.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing & Imaging
>> www.coribright.com
>>
>> "DWildner" <DWildner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Has anyone helped you with this? I have the exact same frustrating
>> > problem.
>> > It seems as though there are no drivers available via the add printer
>> > wizard.
>> > Downloading the drivers results in the very generic error "Printer
>> > driver
>> > was not installed. Operation could not be completed."

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 10:37:01 AM

Tried it, and nothing was found to have errors.
I did uninstall SP2 and re-install. That brought the list of printers into
the wizard, but I still get the error "Printer driver was not installed.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Run a System File Check.....
>
> From the command prompt, type
>
> sfc /scannow
>
> (note the space between the c and the /)
>

> --
> Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing & Imaging
> www.coribright.com
>
> "DWildner" <DWildner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My problem is that the drivers don't appear in the wizard. I know they're
> > supposed to be there, but the only one that appears in the list is "Dell
> > Photo Printer 720".
> > I have downloaded the appropriate drivers from the manufacturer and can
> > follow the "Have Disk" link in the wizard to get the driver to appear.
> > But
> > when I finish the driver I get the message "Printer driver was not
> > installed.
> > Operation could not be completed."
> > David
> >

> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> They are definitely included
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293378
> >>
> >> Try the drivers for the DeskJet 500 if everything else has failed. They
> >> are
> >> about the most generic driver that is possible to get.
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing & Imaging
> >> www.coribright.com
> >>
> >> "DWildner" <DWildner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 22, 2005 4:45:11 PM

Has anyone found a solution to the problem below that doesn't involve
re-loading XP?
Thanks,
Dave

!