Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
I don't want to get that over-priced artic siler stuff. I see epoxy all over the place and I was wondering if one could just mix some epoxy with the thermal paste. Also, does anyone have any suggestions for an epoxy to use?

"If you wear a turtleneck and a backpack, it's like a weak midget is on your back strangling you"

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
i suppose ramsinks and/or a hsf for my vid. card.

"If you wear a turtleneck and a backpack, it's like a weak midget is on your back strangling you"

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
if u dont' want 2 pay much for the adhensive, then just go for cheap generic brand, but i would say it's worth paying abit of extra for a set of arctic silver thermal adhensive

i woudn't recommand mixing adhensives together, if u REALLY want cheap solution, go for double sided thermal conductive tape, they are cheap and easy to install

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 10GHZ on 04/22/02 09:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Cheap! JB-weld is a metal filled epoxy similar to the silicon epoxy formerly used by OEM's in both stickyness and thermal conductivity. Use a thin layer and enough pressure to squeeze out air pockets and exess.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
oh, and i can vouch for jbwelds strength....
my uncle has used it in his life of fixing cars...and it holds up quite well to that, so imagine how it would do in the sheltered home of a computer case?!?

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
"I used it to fix a cylinder head on my tracktor so I could finish the day out, and that was 15 years ago, it's still holding-Tennesee farmer says".
LOL, I used it to fix the clutch bracket on a 1979 Yamaha IT175, located on the side of a "Jug" (removable cylider housing). It doesn't stick as well to silicon, and is as easy to remove as stock glue, if you've ever experienced that.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
nah..never used it on anything...personally.
i have seen it used...and have messed around with it, (read, i stuck the mixing paper together...the thing my uncle was mixing it on).
but that is cool that you can get it off...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yep, it's just about as hard to get that off as other filled epoxies. I believe it's the texture of the silicon/ceramic that keeps it from sticking too hard.