Monual's DoN adventures

Well, after taking a three-month break, I've begun to get back into
EverQuest again.

I had a IM conversation with my former guildleader, who was now part of a
guild on Povar. Since all the guilds I had joined on Quellious had died, I
put in a movelog to Povar. I was worried that I wouldn't get there since I
had recently x-servered from Drinal to Quellious, but one day I logged in
and Monual was no longer on Quellious. I quickly renamed all my ini files
and loaded him up on Povar. Yay.

I immediately put in an app with the high-end guild there. They just as
immediately turned me down. Seems they require all the signets needed for
Anguish access. I have all the signets from "normal" zones, but I don't
have any from the instanced zones in Dranik's Scar and Ruined City of
Dranik. Drat.

I got the names of a few people who would similarly be farming signets, so I
added them to my /note. In the meantime, I was alone and guildless on
Povar.

I eased my way into introductions by offering free Convictions / Virtues /
Temperance. I began to learn some of the new terminology. I had only
thought of one bank in PoK, as the other is slightly hidden. However, with
the Dragons of Norrath expansion, that other bank is closer to the guild
lobby than the larger standalone bank. This has led to the new terminology:
"Stone" or "Main" bank, and "Wood" bank, reflecting what the walls of each
bank are made of.

There was also a raging debate one evening in /ooc over whether KEI was "C3"
or not. I myself am firmly in the "KEI" camp, but hey, it doesn't really
matter so long as it's understood. I drew some chuckles by offering free
buffs of "Aego2" and "Aego3".

After a couple of days of this, I put up LFG. I almost instantly got the
tell "DoN?"

I had stopped playing almost as soon as DoN came out. So I knew absolutely
nothing about DoN or what was entailed. So I responded, "Sure. This will
be my first one, though." I was told, "Get to camp." "What camp?" "In
LS."

So I took a PoK stone to Neriak and zoned into Lavastorm. Wow, has *this*
zone changed. My very first character, a Dark Elf wizard I stopped playing
at level 12, spent a lot of time in this zone years ago. The new Lavastorm
is a lot smoother and has a lot nicer texture to it. I opened up the map,
trying to figure out where the camp was. I asked for directions, and was
told to go to the Bloodfield zone. I examine the map thoroughly, then reply
that I don't see a zone to Bloodfield, just an entrance to something called
the Broodlands. "Er, yeah, that's what I meant" is the sheepish reply.

I invis myself, probably an unnecessary precaution as everything here is
green, and run across the fields of lava. I find the camp in short order.
I join the group and we zone into the Broodlands, which is very similar to
the new Lavastorm except it has a lake. We found our instanced adventure
and zoned in.

We were doing something called "the Creator". I again warned everyone how
new this was to me, and they told me not to worry, it was pretty simple.
And indeed it was; we cleared to a couple of places, killed a few mobs,
collected a few key items, then formed up on a bridge to take down the
Creator. He died in relatively short order and I got a token and 40 radiant
crystals.

The group broke up. I went back to camp and, after some inquiries, was told
to hand the token in to one of the Wayfarers. I got lots of faction
adjustment - negative Lanys, positive Fironia. Cool. I also got positive
faction with the "good" camp here, although I was still apprehensive to
everyone and they wouldn't speak to me.

I checked out what I could buy with my crystals. Some very LDoN-like
augments and items, and oh - a new spell, Ward of Vengeance. I looked it
up - hmm, a kind of defensive proc, where mobs would hit me and take
occasional damage. Interesting.

I decided I wanted this, and over the next couple of days did more DoN's.
All of them were the same - the Creator. Must be a relatively easy
adventure. I soon had enough crystals to buy my new spell.

I loaded it up and decided to take on one of the guards at the "evil" camp.
I loaded up my solo spell set, cast the ward, and attacked. And wow - with
about every third hit, the guard took 405 points of damage. Like, wow. The
guard had a ton of hitpoints so killing him took a long time. But at the
end I got some more good faction and the feeling that, perhaps, I could solo
a little better than I could before.

After a few more DoN's, my faction was adjusted enough so that I was
indifferent to the good camp. I spoke with the NPC's there, and now they
would talk to me and gave me three tasks. Basically, kill mobs in some
zones and loot some no-drop items.

The first one was easy: spiders in Lavaspinner's Lair. These mobs were
green or light blue, and I found a nice empty spot to pull the spiders too.
I killed them quickly and easily, and after I got all the drop I instantly
got good faction and 200pp.

Excited, I went to Stillmoon Temple to kill Stillmoon Laborers. There, I
was reminded of my shortcomings as a soloer. The area was crawling with
mobs, making getting singles very difficult, especially since there were
lots of shaman mobs casting SoW all around. And darn it, they'd run after
20%, and despite having my fastest root up they'd get far enough to aggro a
few more. I died once trying to figure out how to zone out (should have
done that first) and gave up after killing three of the eleven laborers
required.

Darn it, I need snare. I checked Allakhazam to see if there were any new
snare items, but nope. The only known source for human clerics was the
Fungusbeast Gland from the caller event in Fungus Grove. I decided to give
it a try with my new Ward of Vengeance. I found my way to FG, found the
merchant, bought the trigger item, found the caller, gave him the trigger,
followed him to an empty passage, and began killing mobs three at a time.
With Pious Elixir I was able to stay ahead of the game healthwise, and with
Mark of Retribution and Ward of Vengeance, the mobs were taking significant
damage hitting me. Alas, they too would run, but only slowly and there were
no nearby mobs to aggro, giving me plenty of time to finish them off.

The Caller event lasts as long as you want it to, and I gave it a good two
hours. I got lots of minor loot but no snare glands. I finally gave up.
Despite the failure to get the drop I needed, I felt much better about my
soloing abilities. If only I had Mark of the Blameless, too.

I went back to Stillmoon temple. This time I found a level 70 chanter who
was also doing the same quest. I grouped with her and suddenly it was much
easier. She could mez the adds I'd bring, and she could stun, mez, and root
the mob when it tried to run. I loaded up three stuns of my own, and while
killing laborers still wasn't pleasant - we often had to zone out to clear
multiple aggro - we made progress. I got my eleven, and a few minutes later
she had hers.

We talked for a bit, too. When she brought forth her steadfast servant, we
talked about the new Veteran AA's. I had five, reflecting that I was born
in 2001. She had all six, having been born in 1999. However, she had a lot
fewer /played days, so she didn't near the equipment and spells you'd expect
of someone who'd been playing for that long. (Neither do I, come to think
of it, but nevermind.)

We also talked about guilds. I have been getting at least one tell a day
asking why I was unguilded and being recruited into various guilds. While I
found this flattering, I didn't want to start all over - just the though of
going through Ikkiniz trials makes my shoulders sag. I wanted to be in a
high-end guild, so I politely declined all the offers.

She had to log so I bid her farewell and headed over to Tirranun's Delve. I
found the goblins I needed to kill close to zone-in. With the way the
roamers were pathing, I couldn't avoid pulling two goblins at a time, but
with my new Ward that was fine. With the chanter slowing, my DPS actually
went down, so I was just as happy to fight two unslowed mobs at once.
Again, Pious Elixir kept even with the damage, and when these mobs ran, they
ran slowly giving my ample time to root and kill. It took me half an hour
to get the five goblin teeth I needed.

That finished the first part of the DoN quests. The next quest is a
one-group adventure to kill some named goblin in Stillmoon. I'll have to
put together a group for that. The reward seems nice - a permanent +10 to
my stats cap.

In the meantime, I keep trying to find groups to do signet farming in the
instanced zones. So far no luck. For now, I'm guildless, but having met
quite a few people through DoN and buffing, I'm no longer quite so alone on
the server. =)

-Richard

Monual Lifegiver
Prelate of Rodcet Nife
Povar server

Richard Lawson wrote:
> Well, after taking a three-month break, I've begun to get back into
> EverQuest again.

*cheering is heard* Welcome back Richard!

I just came back from a six month break myself, and would you believe
it migrated FROM povar to join an Australian guild (woot! raids in my
own timezone!) who accepted me as a 'casual' member because I lacked the
flags they demand. Many parallels there.

In this case though, the flags they want are simple elemental access,
which I don't have as my previous guild generally fielded 30-40 people,
several of which were often as low as high 40's. For the last few
months, we also lacked a high level warrior, and split tanking between
the guild's top Paladin and myself (SK). We never had the faintest hope
of going elemental on our own, but we did some things which I still
regard as pretty amazing, given our limitations. (TT for example,
several epic 1.5's and lots of people Tipt flagged)

> I had a IM conversation with my former guildleader, who was now part
of a
> guild on Povar. Since all the guilds I had joined on Quellious had
died, I
> put in a movelog to Povar. I was worried that I wouldn't get there
since I
> had recently x-servered from Drinal to Quellious, but one day I
logged in
> and Monual was no longer on Quellious. I quickly renamed all my ini
files
> and loaded him up on Povar. Yay.

Spooky logging into a different server isn't it! Everything *looks* the
same but is *called* something else. The biggest problem I've had so far
is that camps are called different things, and people *aren't*
understanding of level 70 folk who have no idea where 'cubby 1' is in
WoS but can pull it as though they've grouped there a dozen times before...

> I immediately put in an app with the high-end guild there. They just as
> immediately turned me down. Seems they require all the signets
needed for
> Anguish access. I have all the signets from "normal" zones, but I don't
> have any from the instanced zones in Dranik's Scar and Ruined City of
> Dranik. Drat.

The guild I wanted to join at least accepted me as a lower-ranking sort
of member (they insist 'casual' is not lower rank, but as you can't bid
on most loot and are lower priority to take on raids if they are full -
which is often, I can't see it any other way). At least having a guild
tag lets me get groups easily, and often get into raids and see the new
content, help my guildmates gear up and rack up my own points against
the day I might be able to spend them :)

As a tank without a guild tag, I found grouping very, very difficult.
We're a very gear dependant archetype, and few people will take a chance
on a guildless tank.

> I eased my way into introductions by offering free Convictions /
Virtues /
> Temperance.

I tried that tack, but nobody wants Endure Disease :(

> I began to learn some of the new terminology. I had only
> thought of one bank in PoK, as the other is slightly hidden.
However, with
> the Dragons of Norrath expansion, that other bank is closer to the guild
> lobby than the larger standalone bank. This has led to the new
terminology:
> "Stone" or "Main" bank, and "Wood" bank, reflecting what the walls of
each
> bank are made of.
>
> There was also a raging debate one evening in /ooc over whether KEI
was "C3"
> or not. I myself am firmly in the "KEI" camp, but hey, it doesn't
really
> matter so long as it's understood. I drew some chuckles by offering
free
> buffs of "Aego2" and "Aego3".

On Povar 'C3' and 'KEI' are used interchangeably, although C3 more
often. Can't imagine people at level 70 not actually knowing what 'KEI'
is - although I have to admit, the frequency of 'ebayers' is going up
and up these days.

> The group broke up. I went back to camp and, after some inquiries,
was told
> to hand the token in to one of the Wayfarers. I got lots of faction
> adjustment - negative Lanys, positive Fironia. Cool. I also got
positive
> faction with the "good" camp here, although I was still apprehensive to
> everyone and they wouldn't speak to me.

Here's the value of you posting here: more relevant information
actually about DoN, the missions, and faction (I have yet to play this
expansion's content so I've no idea) than I've seen anywhere else.

Welcome back ;)

Cheers,
James

Kuloth 70 Shadowknight, The Rathe

"Richard Lawson" <nouma@msn.com> wrote in

> I invis myself, probably an unnecessary precaution as everything here
> is green, and run across the fields of lava. I find the camp in short
> order. I join the group and we zone into the Broodlands, which is very
> similar to the new Lavastorm except it has a lake. We found our
> instanced adventure and zoned in.

The only mobs that I know of that will agro are some skeletons that are
green, and see invis anyway, they are also nothing to worry about at your
level however.

Good to see you back, I did find that DoN did invigorate the game somewhat
for me, after getting rather tired of anything but raiding.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 33 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

"James Hicks" <james@doesntlikespam.org> wrote in message
> Richard Lawson wrote:
> > Well, after taking a three-month break, I've begun to get back into
> > EverQuest again.
>
> *cheering is heard* Welcome back Richard!

Aye, welcome back! *tips hat to you* =)

Rom

"Rom" <singleandlooking@adelphia.net> wrote in news:eek:aqdncg4qcfiYTnfRVn-
tA@adelphia.com:

> "James Hicks" <james@doesntlikespam.org> wrote in message
>> Richard Lawson wrote:
>> > Well, after taking a three-month break, I've begun to get back into
>> > EverQuest again.
>>
>> *cheering is heard* Welcome back Richard!
>>

> Aye, welcome back! *tips hat to you* =)

Ditto, Richard. Great to hear from ya.

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

"Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
> "Richard Lawson" <nouma@msn.com> wrote in
>

>> I invis myself, probably an unnecessary precaution as everything here
>> is green, and run across the fields of lava. I find the camp in short
>> order. I join the group and we zone into the Broodlands, which is very
>> similar to the new Lavastorm except it has a lake. We found our
>> instanced adventure and zoned in.
>
> The only mobs that I know of that will agro are some skeletons that are
> green, and see invis anyway, they are also nothing to worry about at your
> level however.
>
> Good to see you back, I did find that DoN did invigorate the game somewhat
> for me, after getting rather tired of anything but raiding.
>
> --
> On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
> Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Soothsayer of 70 seasons
>
> On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
> Graeme, 33 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter
> Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provision

Ther is another snareitem i know of you have to loot the small bag of dice
from teh prince in the warrens and turn them in to a young female kerran in
the villaage in Stonebrunt you get a ball of burlap yarn non lol with 5
charges of snare on it