Cannot print 132 columns!

Hi --

I need to set up an HP DeskJet printer to print text-only, 132-column
reports from a legacy app. The printer is connected to the PC's parallel
port.

I created a new printer using the Generic/Text Only driver. A test page
confirms that the printer is printing in text-only mode, albeit only 80
columns wide and in 10-pitch.

I then went to the Printer Commands tab in the printer's Properties sheet
and entered the PCL commands to set the line printer (16.6-pitch) font:

Begin Print Job: <1B>(s16.66H<1B>&k6.76H

Now, when I send a job to this printer, the job prints in 17-pitch -- but
still only prints 80 columns! Every line is truncated, and I'm missing the
rightmost one-third of the report.

How do I get this to properly print 132 columns?

Thanks,
CL

Dear Mr. Charles Lavin,

> I need to set up an HP DeskJet printer to print text-only, 132-column
> reports from a legacy app. The printer is connected to the PC's parallel
> port.

you may want to have a look at Printfil which allows your legacy app. to
print to the Windows printer by using its Windows driver (with many extras)

More info and a free trial is available for download at our web site

Kind regards,
Davide Guolo
Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
http://www.guolo.com/printfil
Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

Thanks for the information. But all I need is for a terminal emulator to
properly print to an HP printer in text mode what it receives through a
slave print request. I'm not looking to modify the app, which is on a Unix
system.
"Davide Guolo" <guolo.NOSPAM.davide@libero.it> wrote in message
> Dear Mr. Charles Lavin,
>
>> I need to set up an HP DeskJet printer to print text-only, 132-column
>> reports from a legacy app. The printer is connected to the PC's parallel
>> port.
>
> you may want to have a look at Printfil which allows your legacy app. to
> print to the Windows printer by using its Windows driver (with many
> extras)
>
> More info and a free trial is available for download at our web site
>
> Kind regards,
> Davide Guolo
> Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
> http://www.guolo.com/printfil
> Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
> http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

Try setting the paper selection to "US STD Fanfold". I have no idea if
this will work or not, however, this type of paper is for "132 column"
printing, so the driver shouldn't truncate at 80 columns. The driver
doesn't "know" about your added printer command string, but the fanfold
paper selection (14.8 x 11 inches) might "con" the driver into printing full
width.

Had
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

"Charles Lavin" <x@x.x> wrote in message
> Hi --
>
> I need to set up an HP DeskJet printer to print text-only, 132-column
> reports from a legacy app. The printer is connected to the PC's parallel
> port.
>
> I created a new printer using the Generic/Text Only driver. A test page
> confirms that the printer is printing in text-only mode, albeit only 80
> columns wide and in 10-pitch.
>
> I then went to the Printer Commands tab in the printer's Properties sheet
> and entered the PCL commands to set the line printer (16.6-pitch) font:
>
> Begin Print Job: <1B>(s16.66H<1B>&k6.76H
>
> Now, when I send a job to this printer, the job prints in 17-pitch -- but
> still only prints 80 columns! Every line is truncated, and I'm missing the
> rightmost one-third of the report.
>
> How do I get this to properly print 132 columns?
>
> Thanks,
> CL

Thanks. That worked. Or something similar did ... I created a new paper
type.

I wasn't expecting the text-only driver to be forms-capable...

CL

"Hal Hostetler [MVP-S/U]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
> Try setting the paper selection to "US STD Fanfold". I have no idea if
> this will work or not, however, this type of paper is for "132 column"
> printing, so the driver shouldn't truncate at 80 columns. The driver
> doesn't "know" about your added printer command string, but the fanfold
> paper selection (14.8 x 11 inches) might "con" the driver into printing
> full width.
>
> Had
> --
> Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-S/U -- WA7BGX
> Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>
> "Charles Lavin" <x@x.x> wrote in message
>> Hi --
>>
>> I need to set up an HP DeskJet printer to print text-only, 132-column
>> reports from a legacy app. The printer is connected to the PC's parallel
>> port.
>>
>> I created a new printer using the Generic/Text Only driver. A test page
>> confirms that the printer is printing in text-only mode, albeit only 80
>> columns wide and in 10-pitch.
>>
>> I then went to the Printer Commands tab in the printer's Properties sheet
>> and entered the PCL commands to set the line printer (16.6-pitch) font:
>>
>> Begin Print Job: <1B>(s16.66H<1B>&k6.76H
>>
>> Now, when I send a job to this printer, the job prints in 17-pitch -- but
>> still only prints 80 columns! Every line is truncated, and I'm missing
>> the
>> rightmost one-third of the report.
>>
>> How do I get this to properly print 132 columns?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> CL

Dear Mr. Charles Lavin,

> Thanks for the information. But all I need is for a terminal emulator to
> properly print to an HP printer in text mode what it receives through a
> slave print request. I'm not looking to modify the app, which is on a Unix
> system.

I'm glad to see you already found a solution to your problem, anyway, if you
wish to take advantage of the mentioned extras, you can use Printfil on the
Windows machine also to print your Unix generated reports, without the need
for modify the Unix app. on the remote system.
If you need more info feel free to write to my private e-mail address.

Kind regards,
Davide Guolo
Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
http://www.guolo.com/printfil
Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

I've the same problem as you but I don't find how to create a new paper
for Generic/Text driver.

How have you made this ?