Which of these 80mm FANS is better?

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<b><A HREF="http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/ther80smarfa.html" target="_new">Thermaltake 80mm Smart Fan</A></b>
Maximum Air Flow
46 CFM @ lowest RPM
53 CFM @ highest RPM

Noise Level
27 dBA @ lowest RPM
39 dBA @ highest RPM

<b><A HREF="http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/80clearulwit.html" target="_new">Enermax 80mm Clear Ultra w/speed dial</A></b>
Low (1000 RPM): 25.4 CFM; 21 dBA
Medium (2000 RPM): 32.37 CFM; 27.4 dBA
High (3000 RPM): 39.8 CFM; 32.6 dBA

I'm looking for a good performing fan that is QUIET. As you can see, both these fans are speed adjustable-the TT is automatic, while the Enermax is manual...looks like the TT would be the sensible fan to get, but i could get the Enermax rather easily for cheap, compared to the TT. I'm really thinking of just getting the Enermax....what do you think? Does anyone own either? How does it fair in terms of performance, and most important--NOISE LEVEL!

<b><font color=blue>VIA chipsets, SiS chipsets -- all the same, all made in TAIWAN!!!

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
On the side note....
anyone ever used the <b>Arctic Alumina Thermal Compound</b>?
I guess it's a low-end Artic Silver III substitute--probably not as good, but less than half the price.

<b><font color=blue>VIA chipsets, SiS chipsets -- all the same, all made in TAIWAN!!!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i would say to get the enermax...seeing as how the thermal probes on the TT fans are uaually kinda crap...and people end up cutting them off...
and the enermax fans are NICE. and 21dba is barely noticeable, i think...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
I own two of the enermax in my Antec case, they're great. HIGHLY recommend them. I believe you can get them for 8 dollars apiece with a 3pin to 4pin pass through power adapter from www.directron.com still. Bought mine there, good price, good fan.

"WtF? Package just said silver stuff, why won't the HSF come off?" - Failed A+ 6 times

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
i would get the enermax....
TT doesnt seem to know how to measure sound in db so the 27 db at lowest setting may actually be 37 db.
i have TT's crystal orb and its rated at 26 db...but its louder than my cpu fan...thats at 37 db...

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Alright!
Looks like i'll be getting the Enermax.
Thanks for the input, everyone!