Shared local printer names in a database

I’m using a client-server application that stores information about default
printers in a database. I have a printer on “Computer A� shared as “Printer
A.� From Computer A, I selected Printer A to be the default printer for the
application.

However, when logging in to the application from another client (Computer
B), I receive an error message that the default printer is not valid. This is
because Computer B sees the shared printer as \\Computer A\ Printer A but
only “Printer A� was recorded in the database.

If I reconfigure the application default settings from computer B, then
\\Computer A\ Printer A is stored in the database but then the error occurs
on computer A because it only “knows about� Printer A, not \\Computer A\
Printer A.

How do I share a local printer on a network so that the printer name in the
database can be recognized by both “A� and “B?�
2 answers Last reply
More about shared local printer names database

    NO SPACES in the shared printer name!!

    And see:
    www.coribright.com

    "PMTracy" <PMTracy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm using a client-server application that stores information about
    > default
    > printers in a database. I have a printer on "Computer A" shared as
    > "Printer
    > A." From Computer A, I selected Printer A to be the default printer for
    > the
    > application.
    >
    > However, when logging in to the application from another client (Computer
    > B), I receive an error message that the default printer is not valid. This
    > is
    > because Computer B sees the shared printer as \\Computer A\ Printer A but
    > only "Printer A" was recorded in the database.
    >
    > If I reconfigure the application default settings from computer B, then
    > \\Computer A\ Printer A is stored in the database but then the error
    > occurs
    > on computer A because it only "knows about" Printer A, not \\Computer A\
    > Printer A.
    >
    > How do I share a local printer on a network so that the printer name in
    > the
    > database can be recognized by both "A" and "B?"

    Sorry, spaces were a typo in my example. That's not really the point here.

    I have one shot at naming this printer in a database. How do I name it so
    it's recognized as a local printer on one client and a shared printer on all
    others?

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > NO SPACES in the shared printer name!!
    >
    > And see:
    > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterAllUsers.htm
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "PMTracy" <PMTracy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm using a client-server application that stores information about
    > > default
    > > printers in a database. I have a printer on "Computer A" shared as
    > > "Printer
    > > A." From Computer A, I selected Printer A to be the default printer for
    > > the
    > > application.
    > >
    > > However, when logging in to the application from another client (Computer
    > > B), I receive an error message that the default printer is not valid. This
    > > is
    > > because Computer B sees the shared printer as \\Computer A\ Printer A but
    > > only "Printer A" was recorded in the database.
    > >
    > > If I reconfigure the application default settings from computer B, then
    > > \\Computer A\ Printer A is stored in the database but then the error
    > > occurs
    > > on computer A because it only "knows about" Printer A, not \\Computer A\
    > > Printer A.
    > >
    > > How do I share a local printer on a network so that the printer name in
    > > the
    > > database can be recognized by both "A" and "B?"

Default Computers Printers Database Windows XP