Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Stutter in games after replacements

Last response: in Video Games
August 19, 2012 7:20:17 PM

Hope im in the right section, but here goes:

Just this week i have upgraded some components in my pc. A new case, a new motherboard (MSI z77MA-G45) and a new PSU (Corsair TX V2 850W PSU).

After the upgrades i've tried a few different games out, and i'm getting this weird stutter in all of them. It's like the enviroments and characters in the games are skipping around, kinda like when having low fps, but it's a solid 60fps at all times. Tried lower settings, tried different graphics drivers, tried disabling core-parking and disabling some energy saving modes in BIOS but nothing works.

Rest of my spec:

Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3,40 Ghz
8 GB DDR3
MSI GeForce GTX 680 2GB PhysX CUDA

Any help much appreciated!
August 19, 2012 7:26:51 PM

Did you reinstall the windows after motherboard swap? Because I suppose you changed chipset, and if you did, windows reinstall is a must.
August 19, 2012 7:34:58 PM

Sunius said:
Did you reinstall the windows after motherboard swap? Because I suppose you changed chipset, and if you did, windows reinstall is a must.

Yes i did, but that didn't help.
Related resources
August 19, 2012 7:49:44 PM

What about CPU usage? Is it spiking in task manager during the stutters?
August 19, 2012 7:51:13 PM

fromd said:
Yes i did, but that didn't help.

have you got any background programs running and what hdd you using?

some people have stuttering problems when a lot of programs running in background and on a hdd (ssds are faster so dont have this issue)
August 19, 2012 8:03:43 PM

try different ram ratios . some boards will allow you to set different ratios to get the same overall ram speed sometimes if that is set wrong you can get stutters.
August 19, 2012 8:08:06 PM

shanky887614 said:
have you got any background programs running and what hdd you using?

some people have stuttering problems when a lot of programs running in background and on a hdd (ssds are faster so dont have this issue)

Im not sure what HDD it is, but ive also got an SSD, tested games on each seperately and its the same.
August 19, 2012 8:13:44 PM

HEXiT said:
try different ram ratios . some boards will allow you to set different ratios to get the same overall ram speed sometimes if that is set wrong you can get stutters.

How do i set different RAM ratios?

Also since i've reinstalled Win 7 i haven't really installed any background app. Only things running Realtek audio hd config and nvidia drivers and the CPU doesn't spike, no.
August 20, 2012 4:26:30 PM

bump
August 20, 2012 5:07:33 PM

well, you still haven't answered my question...
August 21, 2012 4:24:21 AM

Sunius said:
well, you still haven't answered my question...

I did, but i can do it again: No spiking going on with the CPU while in the games.
August 21, 2012 4:52:22 AM

Can you try disabling VSync just to see if it makes a difference?
August 21, 2012 5:33:37 AM

Sunius said:
Can you try disabling VSync just to see if it makes a difference?

Tried that to, without any luck. I'm beginning to suspect some kind of hardware failure maybe.
August 21, 2012 8:46:51 AM

Did you try another mouse? Silly question, but stuttering can easily be caused by low quality mouse or the surface it's held on. Try putting a book below it.
August 21, 2012 8:49:52 AM

Sunius said:
Did you try another mouse? Silly question, but stuttering can easily be caused by low quality mouse or the surface it's held on. Try putting a book below it.

Tried two different mouses, and also a gamepad but it's the same
August 21, 2012 11:14:08 AM

hi i got the same prob. have u fixed it?
August 21, 2012 11:50:01 AM

meetthegman said:
hi i got the same prob. have u fixed it?

Unfortunately not. Let me know if you do
August 21, 2012 12:28:01 PM

Have u tried older games like just cause 2 , team fortress 2 , they are running without that lag
August 21, 2012 1:09:45 PM

This is really, really odd... But i disabled Intel EIST in my BIOS and the stutter is gone? How...? Can this be right?
August 21, 2012 1:36:46 PM

Worst thing is that i enabled it again to doublecheck, and now i doesn't fix it when i disable it....
August 21, 2012 2:50:22 PM

Try resetting CMOS...
August 21, 2012 4:16:05 PM

Sunius said:
Try resetting CMOS...

Well that actually seemed to help quite a bit! It's not completely gone but it's much better, so i think we're closing in on it! :) 
August 22, 2012 6:13:42 PM

So, after a few hours it returned... I'm really getting frustrated now..
August 22, 2012 7:13:18 PM

if resetting the bios helped try loading optomized defaults in bios. then make sure the pci-e slot is set correctly to peg 1(may be called different) hpet(high precision even timer or event timer) is enabled and if needs be set to mattch your o.s bitrate, ie 32 for 32bit 64 for 64bit... set the correct boot order and then save and quit.

as for setting the memory ratio. it will be in advanced memory menu if it exists. it doesnt on all motherboards.
August 23, 2012 1:16:52 AM

HEXiT said:
if resetting the bios helped try loading optomized defaults in bios. then make sure the pci-e slot is set correctly to peg 1(may be called different) hpet(high precision even timer or event timer) is enabled and if needs be set to mattch your o.s bitrate, ie 32 for 32bit 64 for 64bit... set the correct boot order and then save and quit.

as for setting the memory ratio. it will be in advanced memory menu if it exists. it doesnt on all motherboards.

Tried it all. Nothing helped.. Could it be some kind of hardware failure? PSU maybe? Because the two times i actually made the stutter/frame skipping disappear seems pretty random.
August 23, 2012 5:28:35 AM

Update your BIOS and turn VSync off in nvidia manegiment
August 23, 2012 2:00:21 PM

meetthegman said:
Update your BIOS and turn VSync off in nvidia manegiment

Tried both.. nothing..
August 23, 2012 2:09:50 PM

So just tried to capture a video of my problem with FRAPS. Turns out that the problem disappears when i record, and returns a soon as i stop? Wtf?
August 23, 2012 6:18:47 PM

My cpu went 85' C in gaming that's my prob check your's cpu's temp
August 23, 2012 9:39:35 PM

fraps tends to limit the fps so thats telling you its a gfx based problem. go into the nvidia game profiles and delete the 1 for the game your playing or just disable it if you can.
then in the default profle for the pannel click default button to make sure its at the very base setting and then try your game...
if its still stuttering turn on vsync in game if its still stuttering go to the NV panel and turn it on there also and set it to override the game setting.
also sometimes turning off physx on the game panel will help when playing games that dont support it...
September 15, 2012 7:11:22 PM

Sorry for not having responded in a long time, but ive had my motherboard at RMA just to make sure that wasn't it. Got a new one now and the problem is still there. ive also tried many things with my gfx including fiddling with nvidia control panel, stress tests, afterburner, every single gfx driver still available. Still nothing... I really don't what to do anymore.. Is there any chance it could be the PSU?
!