How do you clean burn marks off of copper?

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Well, My 1700+ just bit the dust. and my swifteck Mcxc-370 (?) heatsink with a copper base has a nice mark where the Artic Silver was cooked. right on the edge of where the cpu sits. How do I prepare it for a new CPU? Cant afford a new one, and it cant be that bad Im guessing. I do have a Volcano 5 I can use for an emergency backup, but would like to be able to overclock.

But back to the question at hand? How do i get off this baked on grease?

Crashing takes on a whole new meaning at 9.8 m/s. :tongue:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
hmmm..i have never had to do this...but you could try soaking it in acetone overnight...?
or at least for a few hours.
put it in a tupperware container that you can cover...?
i dunno...
is it like hard to scrape off? can you scrape it off? (with your fingernail...so you dont scratch the base of the heatsink)
of, and how did your cpu bite the dust...you overclock too much?
or did the heatsink start to come off? because you said it was on one edge.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Im not exactly sure why it bit the dust, I actualy clocked it down to normal. I am thinking I either did not attach the block of the heatsink right, or I scatched the core somehow.

As for if I can scratch it off, I tried with my fingernail, tried windex and a tshirt (recomended for Konica Photomachine Lenses, but I am afraid to try anything else so I do not damage the copper or the surface, or leave aresidue. I have fingernail polish remover, but that would leave a residue. I havent tried Isoprol Rubbing Alchahol, I have 98% pure at home. Got the dy off tomorrow, So I will look around. I wonder if it is safe to use copper polish?

Crashing takes on a whole new meaning at 9.8 m/s. :tongue:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
hmm....you could use the nail polish remover, and then clean it up with the alcohol. that should take it off...
if not, you could make this an excuse to lap the heatsink? :wink:
try the nailpolish remover...just to make the stuff soft...because you can easily scratch copper...it is soft!

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-