Slow Network Printing after SP2

Hi Guys,
we have some problems with slow network printing after installing SP2 on all
our desktop-systems. The problems show up in any application and even if
you open print properties with no application open. It takes 7 up to 20
seconds to get a dialoge box from the printer.
I found out that this isnt a problem for all kind of printers in SP2. We
have some old HP printer which havent any problems at all, but the moast
printers we use are from Kyocera and they all have the same problems. I found
out that the main reason for the slowness has to be some DevMode settings
in the HKey_CU\Printers\Connection\"Printername". If i deleate the DevMode
the printer will response quickly. The problem is if i click printer
properties\printing preferences the DevMode entry is back and the printer is
slow again. No matter if i changed something in the preferences or not. I
also found out that if i localy map the network printer to a LPT Port and use
the exact driver there will be no problems, but localy map ~30 Printers isn
realy a option to me.

You are not alone. I actually have some applications that crash trying to
bring up the printer dialog box. If you de-install SP2, the problem goes
away immediately.

I think MS has a subtle bug in SP2 GDI32.DLL, and I further believe that it
involves a memory conflict with certain video drivers.

Harry

fred

"Harry Whitehouse" wrote:

> You are not alone. I actually have some applications that crash trying to
> bring up the printer dialog box. If you de-install SP2, the problem goes
> away immediately.
>
> I think MS has a subtle bug in SP2 GDI32.DLL, and I further believe that it
> involves a memory conflict with certain video drivers.
>
> Harry

fred

I see a similar problem with SP1. An EPSON Sylus COLOR 880i is shared. The
remote computer sees response times around 1 minute.

I "solved" the problem but don't know why:
The host computer is "Front" at 192.168.1.1
One printer port on the remote computer is:
\\Front\EPSON Stylus COLOR 880
another port is defined as
\\192.168.1.1\EPSON Sytlus COLOR 880

Neither port worked except very slowly as above.
However, if Printer Pooling is enabled it requires that both ports be
selected.
This seems to solve the slowness problem but I think I need to know more
about what's going on.

I got an answer back from Epson that may bear investigation:

If a networked computer (not the printer host) has the printer monitor
running / enabled then it apparently loads things up.
Their suggestion was to turn off the printer monitor on the networked
computers. They said it's OK to have the monitor on the printer's host
computer.

I could provide more details but figure everyone has their own printer /
monitor situation.

Fred