Possible to have too many water blocks?

azbok

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2002
I'm gonna be getting a koolance pc2-c midtower case (ya its not the best insano water cooling but its a good start) and debating what water blocks I need. I'm going with the CPU-200 and the video block at the moment.

The big question, is if its worth it to get a motherboard chipset block, hard drive block, 2nd hard drive kit. What I'm thinking is the water passing thru those things will just be even hotter and the cpu and video would be cooled less efficiently.

What do you guys think?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
if I had the time, mine would have a block on the chipset/vid card, and hard drives. as it is, I just have the one on my cpu <A HREF="http://www.calvsplace.cwc.net" target="_new">as you can see here</A>

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

azbok

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2002
I was thinking that for especially for the hard drives since they aren't as critical, you can use air cooling for them and have less heat in the overall water system.

Hmmm hehe maybe I should get the extra blocks and experiment.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I dont totally agree, my hdd's get HOT, temp probe measures about 50-60C on both my maxtor and ibm (they are in removable hdd bays wich have stupid little 40mm fans), out of the bays, they get to about 40C, I'd like to cool down the drives in the bays somehow. But apart from overclocking, the main reason I went watercooled was no fans

svol

Champion
With more waterblocks you need a bigger radiator to cool the water down, and a strong pump.
IMO watercoolers for modern IDE drives are BS, those drives doesn't get hot any more and placing one fan at the site does miracles.
Also I don't think you really need a waterblock for the motherboard, there are enough Northbridges that only have a passive cooling (which means that they don't get hot) and adding a fan will be sufficient for those.

<b>THGC:</b> before: :frown: :eek: , after: :smile: :cool: .

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Again, I partially agree, but as I said the hdds of mine gets dam hot inside those bays, and something other than fans I would like, mainly due to the noise (and I need a new project) as for the northbridge, the fan on mine has since been replaced with a hacked socket A heatsink and a 60mm fan- I can now get to 1700 whereas with the standard fan I couldnt, likewise, with a socket7 fan on my vid card, I can take that higher than with the standard fan, and of course, all these fans are making a noise!! not as loud as the delta I used to have, but noise all the same, I do want to put blocks on the northbridge/vid card, but its just getting round to it!

svol

Champion
I got 4 HDs:
2* 20GB Seagate Barracuda IV 7200rpm
15.3GB Maxtor 7200rpm
and an old 6GB Seagate ATA33 drive.
They are all placed above achother with 3 mm between them, to cool them I got two low rpm and quiet small 60mm sitting at one side blowing air between the drives, works perfect and is very silent.
I don't know if it is because of the bays or your drives that they are running hot, but modern drives really run cool.

<b>THGC:</b> before: :frown: :eek: , after: :smile: :cool: .

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
it is because of the bays, but I need them in removable bays just now as I swap hdd's regularly due to course work, I considered external drives- then saw the price :(

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
My drive in the tray get hot too, that mini fan is a joke for real. No heat problems since installed all my case fans, but the seagate drive in the tray let me know it's running hot (beeping 4 or 6 times every couple of minutes, yes the drive beeps when getting too hot).

<font color=red>We born naked and screaming, then it gets worse.</font color=red>