Have I destroyed my XP2000+ ?

G

I have today unsuccessfully tried to unlock my Athlon XP2000+, by using a supposedly conductive epoxy, that turned out to be no more conductive than an ordinary plastic epoxy (i.e. infinite resistance). I guess the silver in the tubes wasn't mixed very well...

Scratching to remove the epoxy, I unfortunately also removed some laquer (I can see a metal surface under a couple of scratches in the surface), so that when using a conducting silver paint, all the L1 terminals are now suddenly connected to the ground. I don't think it is possible to isolate them again. :-(

My question is (since Tom's guide is very vague on this); can I still use the processor as a multiplier-locked CPU, or will I have to order a new one?

groth2757

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Have you tried to use the cpu in the mobo and power it on yet? If it works and it doesn't get to hot I would use it. Why throw it away when it works. If it does work, download Motherboard Monitor and keep a close eye on the temps to see if your pc will run stable. I'm also going to attempt to unlock a Athlon 2100 and hopefully everything goes well.

<font color=red>When overclocking always be sure to wear clean underwear!</font color=red>

G

I'd like someone to confirm that I won't burn my motherboard or other components before I power it up.

I don't want to risk burning more money, I may already have burnt $300 on the CPU. :-/

AMD XP2000+ @ 1.8 GHz, Soltek SL-75DRV4, 512MB PC266 DDR PC2100, Leadtek GeForce 3 Ti200 128 MB.

jedge78

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2002
is it possible to use crazy glue to insulate the portions of the cpu that you scratched and then clean off all of the lacquer with alcohol or did you actually scratch L1...also, couldnt you test whether it is ground or not with a multimeter?

groth2757

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Please don't take this the wrong way but did you get a chance to watch the video on this site on how to unlock an AMD Atlon XP? I watched it and found it very informative. It seems you have a couple of choices, like jedge 78 says, you can test the CPU with a multimeter if your familiar with one. Second you can just try the CPU in the mobo and see what happens. If neither of these appeal to you, you can buy another CPU and try again hopefully with better results. In the review of how to unlock the Athlon XP Tom gave us some links on where to purchase good conductive silver laquer. Remember when modifying any type of PC hardware there is always some type of risk involved...hey that's how we learn right!!! Anyway I'm just trying to help and make you feel better about what your trying to do because I've been in your shoes on numerous occassions.

<font color=red>When overclocking always be sure to wear clean underwear!</font color=red>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, that is how we learn, "there is always some type of risk involved...hey that's how we learn right!!!"
BUT, it kinda sucks to see an athlonxp 2000+ get thrashed...heh....what a kick in the nuts...
even if you have money to buy another...but oh well, i guess you learned that is not the way to unlock an xp! :wink:

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

G

Yes, I have of course used a multimeter to measure that the terminals are in fact electically connected to ground, albeit with a couple of hundred Ohms of resistance.

As I wrote, I tried to insulate the scratches with superglue before applying conductive paint, but it wasn't enough.

Thanks for the tips of testing the CPU on the Mobo, but I'd like to hear from someone who really knows that it would work, based on knowledge of the actual wiring of the CPU, not just "try it and see what happens."

Anyone?

AMD XP2000+ @ 1.8 GHz, Soltek SL-75DRV4, 512MB PC266 DDR PC2100, Leadtek GeForce 3 Ti200 128 MB.

groth2757

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Is there a way you can take a picture of the CPU and post it on some free web space so some of the people here can take a look at the damage? That might help us make a more clear decision as to what you should do.

G

I'm afraid my Sony cam can't come close enough for you guys to see anything.

I have now scratched the CPU to get rid of all the remains of the failed epoxy, the silver paint and the super glue.

Measuring now, all the top L1 terminals are not grounded, but all the bottom ones are, albeit with a little resistance.

I'm seriously thinking of just testing it, I'm tired of the suspense... :)
I've already attached the big heatsink. I'm gonna do it, you just watch...
I'll keep you posted as soon as I power it up...

G

Courage is a good thing! It worked, the multiplier is now set at the default 12.5x, so my CPU is back to its normal, locked state. I wouldn't call it "pristine" from the scratched look of the CPU, but it is up and running at 12.5 x 143 = 1802 MHz.

I'll think twice before trying to unlock it again, that's for sure!

groth2757

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Good to hear that your up and running again!!!

:tongue: <font color=red>When overclocking always be sure to wear clean underwear!</font color=red>' :tongue: