Hi All,

I used to manage to make this work, but with my 2 week old laptop I won't
manage for some reason.

This is the situation:
- We have a Canon S600 hooked up directly to a Desktop with Windows 98SE
- My laptop and this desktop are connected via a router to a Cable modem
- My laptop is containing the program/data needed for the router.

When I setup my laptop last week (Windows XP Home edition SP2), I selected
following option:
This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway or
through another computer on my network.

And my internet access and email works perfectly, so I was very happy.

Now I downloaded the driver for the Canon S600, since it did not show in the
list and then tried to set it up.
Normally I could see the other computer if online from my Laptop, but right
I am not able to and if I type the address it used on my old laptop for the
printer.
It tells me it is invalid.

If I let the wizard select a printer, then it shows me something like
"Microsoft Windows Networking" and I can't go further here...
Now if I check my networking in windows explorer and expand this network it
shows @home alright, but that is where it stops, since I have no permission
to go further, even if I am the administrator. Now for the few times I need
to printer I can live with taking the information to the other computer and
print it from there directly, but I just want to know what I have missed in
my process.. Maybe it is just because of the 2 different windows
versions??

Any advice/hints are highly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Ellen

Ellen:
Can you see the other computer in your "My Network Places"?
If you cannot, then check to be sure both computers are in the same Workgroup.
If you are unable to see the printer that is physically connected to the
other computer, it is most likely that you are not networked to the other
computer.
Check your network settings, and run the Network Setup wizard again if needed.
A cable modem or dsl modem does not help to network your computers together.
They will just be able to access the Internet.
A Cable Router that has the network ports can allow you to network them but
the IP addressing needs to be correct and the workgroup on the PCs need to be
correct.

"Ellen" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I used to manage to make this work, but with my 2 week old laptop I won't
> manage for some reason.
>
> This is the situation:
> - We have a Canon S600 hooked up directly to a Desktop with Windows 98SE
> - My laptop and this desktop are connected via a router to a Cable modem
> - My laptop is containing the program/data needed for the router.
>

> When I setup my laptop last week (Windows XP Home edition SP2), I selected
> following option:
> This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway or
> through another computer on my network.
>
> And my internet access and email works perfectly, so I was very happy.
>
> Now I downloaded the driver for the Canon S600, since it did not show in the
> list and then tried to set it up.
> Normally I could see the other computer if online from my Laptop, but right
> I am not able to and if I type the address it used on my old laptop for the
> printer.
> It tells me it is invalid.
>
> If I let the wizard select a printer, then it shows me something like
> "Microsoft Windows Networking" and I can't go further here...
> Now if I check my networking in windows explorer and expand this network it
> shows @home alright, but that is where it stops, since I have no permission
> to go further, even if I am the administrator. Now for the few times I need
> to printer I can live with taking the information to the other computer and
> print it from there directly, but I just want to know what I have missed in
> my process.. Maybe it is just because of the 2 different windows
> versions??
>
> Any advice/hints are highly appreciated!!
>
> Thanks,
> Ellen

Hi AccessDev,

thanks for waking me up.

I believe the problem is caused by the Desktop. My dad had recently problems
with the desktop that it could not find the OS and my uncle fix the problem,
somehow...

BUT lot of programs are not accessible anymore... same for the network, it
turned out now, since I can't see the network any longer from the desktop...
I am planning to burn all my dad's data one of these days and do a Quick
restore on his Desktop and install everything from scratch!!

Thanks,
Ellen