random restart

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
i ahve a p4 1.6a oced to 2.01. the first time that i start the computer up from being off it restarts once it hits windows. but the second time it boots up it goes into windows no problem. so what's up here?

repeat after me, we are all individuals!

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
i have a 300watt power supply and i am using stock fan/heatsink for the p4 and i have one front fan as well as one rear fan. i am only overcloking to 2ghz so my cpu temp is stayiong around 41C my vcore volatge is set in the bios foir 1.65 but runns around 1.58-1.62. sometimes when i boot up it doesn't auto restart but rather a blue screen comes up, but again when i press ctrl-alt-del the system restarts into windows just fine. i had just installed this os(win 98 se) so i don't think it's that, although it could be. these problems just started happening when i started ocing. has anyone else seen this problme or have any sugestions?

GearJammer2513

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
Are you able to adjust your Vcore setting to 1.70v or 1.75v? This might eliminate your rebooting problem. I think there is a minimum voltage your chip is supposed to run at or above, not sure what it is since I'm using AMD Athlon XP chip (default is 1.75v). The reason I'm asking is because I tried experimenting with a lower voltage and experienced the problem you described. All I did was move the voltage back to default (manually set Vcore to 1.75) and the problem went away. Hope this might help.

Believe only half of what you read and none of what you hear! Unless it's in THGC forum.

svol

Champion
Yes GearJammer2513's suggestion is good, and your temps are not high so overheating will also not be a problem.
And if that doesn't fix the problem look for updates on Windows Update they might fix it.

<b>THGC:</b> before: :frown: :eek: , after: :smile: :cool: .

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
well i heard a lot of other p4 overclockers updated their abit bios so that they could get higher voltages, i haven't done so yet and 1.65 is the highest i can go. so i will download the newest bios and try uping my vcore, i'll let you guys know how it went.

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
If you're runnin XP check to see if "auto restart" is enabled under the sytem recovery tab. You'll most likely still crash, but now you'll be able to read the BSOD.

EDIT....Whoops hehe, youre usin 98.

I sold my sig for $50.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by LED on 04/28/02 09:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>