CPU running 90%, no programs running, win7

steadfast1984

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I have no programs opened but my cpu is running at 90+-%=. I checked in task manager and it says that Explorer.exe is running at say amount. like i said there are no programs running in the background or forground. the cpu useage is just idling at around 90%.
restarting my PC fixes the problem. but from time to time this still happens.
what is causing this?
my system specs are in my profile if your wondering.
Im running windows 7 pro 64-bit
intel q9400 O/C 3.2 GHz
Asus P5Q Turbo
4GB DDR2 1066 Mushkin

if you need to know anything else, like i said, my full system specs are in my profile.

thanks for the help,
Steadfast1984

steadfast1984

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
i ran avast came up clear. you cant run boot scans with a 64 bit OS, tonight i will hit it with widows malicious software removal tool, malware bytes. see what it comes up with.. probably nothing, I'm a really safe surfer after-all, I know what not to click on. but like anything, human error can come into affect.

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

I might not really get the situation. When you say that the CPU usage is idling at 90%, what do you mean? That the total load is 90% or the idle process is 90%?

Does Taskmgr show that it is explorer.exe that is consuming the CPU?

steadfast1984

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
yes, the total CPU usage just hovers around 90%. I call it idle because nothing is running, as in i dont have any load on it, there are no background programs with any load on them, there are no programs open period.

Iv hit it with everything i got in safemode, Malware bytes, windows malicious software removal tool, avast 5.0. everything comes up clean as a whistle.
when still from time to time like once every day or 2. I will notice that my CPU monitor is running hard, all 4 cores are being worked up to around 90% usage. I check task manager in the processes and its Explorer.exe eating up all the usage. can't figure out why.

my PC specs are in my profile.