Cooling Enlosure?

straius

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Hello Everyone,

I am a composer who writes music for videogames and I have a humble home studio set up. The hub of which is my computer since everything I do is done digitally on my system.

My comp is in the same room that I do all my recording in. It's a few feet away from me and right now it produces so much noise that I can barely record anymore and my temporary solution is tok cover it with towels and blankets. But my system ends up getting extremely hot that way and I don't want to do that any longer. (Especially since I have several Ultra 160 SCSI drives internally that run at 15,000RPM)

What I want to do is find the best way of possibly enclosing the entire tower into a cabinet or something like that that I can sound-proof.

Does anyone here have any suggestions of the best way to go about this and efficiently cool the system while reducing the noise to Nill?

Is there anyone out there who makes something already for what I want to do?

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
well, this will take some doing, you will need to get several quiet low rpm fans. you could also add some sound dampning material, go to a car audio shop and get some dynomat. that stuff works good.

you shot who in the what now?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I suppose building a box out of wood or MDF to house the entire pc would do it, as mentioned, a few quiet fans to keep it cool. I havnt any new px of my setup, but basically under my desk I put on sliding doors, and behind them are my p60 router and my 2k server box, this gets pretty warm so I fitted 2 x 80mm fans in the back wall of the desk. if you look at the pic of my system <A HREF="http://www.calvsplace.cwc.net" target="_new">here</A> In the corner on the shelf are now 2 dekstop cases with the above mentioned systems in, basically the same idea- it IS quiet, and as long as you have a couple of fans you hould be ok.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

straius

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Heh, that's what I was thinking too. Now... I'm supposed to invision these doors you talked about right? hehe

So you think that just putting a couple 80mm fans in front and back will do the trick? Nothing else is needed for cooling? Cause I tend to worry about my SCSI devices since I use 15K RPM drives for all my sampling and I know how hot they can get.

Also, are you talking about just regular internal case fans for a computer? That you jimmy into slots I'd cut out of the front door to the small cabinet? Or are you talking about something different. Because what would I do about hooking these fans up to a power source? I doubt that the cables in my computer would be long enough to run out of my computer somehow and up to the fans. Plus that's not something I'd want to do.

Oh also...

Do you guys know of a good QUIET fan bay for cooling high RPM SCSI devices? Right now I'm using a generic $10 bay or something and it's doing it's job, but it's producing a whole lotta noise doin it.

jedge78

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2002
i have seen a rig for an oced xp where the tower is placed in what looks like a modded refrigarator...unfortunately i can not find the pix...i guess that would be a good solution for your situation...sorry i cant help more

straius

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
lol, yeah! haha... I should take out my minifridge and just plop my computer in there. that would be great. lol, talk about the ability to overclock if it's in a fridge...

Ah well, it'd be too much noise anyways. Maybe with my super gaming machien that I"ll build someday... haha... computer in a fridge... that'd be great.

Think that I'll end up doing the modified cabinet solution with a bunch of fans.

Where is a good place for me to find some extra quiet fan bays (For SCSI Drives) case fans, etc... ??? Is there anyone that specializes in odd ball components like that?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
jhiggs, its not cramped- just lookes smaller on the picture, I need to make a new one (picture...) as I've changed it a bit now- just zero time :(

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=649371#649371" target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=649371#649371</A>

extremely quiet. i dont ear it.

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...

straius

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Hey,

Haha, a Household Fan and you don't hear it? That would produce so much noise for me I wouldn't even be able to record. Plus.. I dunno if I'd trust the fan with my 15K RPM SCSI drive... It has all my samples and most of my songs. And I haven't had a chance to get enough drives to actually back everything up since I have about 10Gig alone of audio so there's no way I'm going to backup on CD or ZIP drive or anything like that.

Eventually I'm going to have 6 SCSI at 15K RPM in my computer. Since I will need that amount of power to do audio the way it's TRULY meant to be done. Which is why I'm starting to reserach options for cooling the entire tower inside an enclosure.

Already my noise floor is unbearably high with just the 1 fan bay for my HDD.

Optimally I just need to get some fans that are quiet enough that they don't produce any noise. Cause surprisingly, the drive itself makes so little noise that it's not a problem.

Anyone know of good vendor who can supply those parts? (cooling fan for CPU, Case fan, Power supply and fan bays for SCSI devices)

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i have suggested this to other people...
make it so that the case is outside the room.
extend the mouse and kb cables and monitor cables so that they reach the desk inside the studio.
then you can have all the fans and stuff you want.
and wouldnt have to worry about it.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
hehe. move your informatics stuff in your toilet room, by a Wireless Remote Control & some cables & your pb is resolved.

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
DUH, I finally get 10 minutes spare at the weekend and my camera dont work anymore!
Anyways, I'll get one up there sometime, as for the fans in the desk, they are casefans

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I don't know if your setup is like a friend of mine. He works with a bunch of guys in St. Catherines, Ontario. They have a few machines in the studio with them. They however have the sound booths isolated from the recording equipment.

I propose to you that you build the box to house the case in. I modify the suggestion with this...

Make two or four holes. Set the holes on both sides of the box. Mount 120mm or 192mm fans on each hole. One set passing air into and on set passing air out of the box.

Then build a channel for the air to go through that is sound dampened. Basically a maze for the air to travel through. This would probably be the best solution for you.

It will take some work but it will be well worth it. I also would sugget making a box large enough for future upgrades. (I.E. larger cases or additional cases.) At least make the box large enough for two and a half cases to fit in side by side. This will ensure that enough air is available for the computer case to intake and expell.

<b>"Sometimes you can't hear me because I'm talking in parenthesis" - Steven Wright</b> :lol:

straius

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Idealy, I would have isolation booths set up in my home and have my console in a totally seperate sound proofed room... but alas... mucho money is needed to construct all that. I also have the added problem that I'm recording 95% of my own instrumentals.

I play Piano, Guitar, Bass Guitar, Banjo and Mandolin. So it covers the range of music I'm asked to do pretty well.

I think that the best thing to do is just build myself a cabinet to the specifications you mentioned with the fans and the "duct" inside it.

My worry is that with the larger fans there will be more noise produced in the actual fan bays. And my ultimate concern is to have a silent machine.

My other question is:

How would I power the fan bays? Is there a seperate external power supply I can buy that I could mount inside the case?

Again I come to the problems too... Where do I buy these things? Cause most web-based computer places (tigerdirect, etc...) don't have that sort of thing. (120mm, 190mm fans.) Or am I just blatantly wrong?

BTW... Stephen Wright = greatest comedian of all time :)

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Remove all your fans and go with watercooling.

You should be able to find a kit that fits your CPU and hard drives.

I went from too many fans to no fans, I love the silence.

Dynomat is also a good idea. I have been looking for some since I saw it at a car show.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
The fans will be on the inside of the "Box." If you dampen the air passage into and out of the "Box" with dampening material, egg-crate foam etc., the fans will not be heard.

Where do you live? USA, Canada, or elsewhere?

The <A HREF="http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/appliance/pdf/fba12g.pdf" target="_new">120mm Panasonic (Panaflo) FBA12G12LA</A> is a good fan with a low dBA level. Use two or three of these directing air into and two or three directing air out of the "Box" would be a good solution for airflow. 2 in and two out would give you 137.8 cubit feet per minute (CFM) of airflow.

Look here to purchase...

1. <A HREF="http://www.plycon.com/fans120.htm" target="_new">Plycon</A>

2. <A HREF="http://www.subzeropc.com/store/fans.htm" target="_new">SubZeroPC</A>

3. <A HREF="http://www.directron.com/120l1a.html" target="_new">Directton</A>

4. <A HREF="http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/contact/sales_and_contact_domestic.asp" target="_new">To do a search for a vendor near you.</A>

There are others...

You could use 90mm fans 120mm or larger. Tell me the budgeted amount that you want to spend and I will look for you.

You will need plywood, 2x4's, paint, screws, hinges for the door, and glue, and sound dampening material to construct the “Box”. You will also want rubber washers for the fans so there are no vibrations from the fans against the walls of the “Box” and you will want plastic/rubber feet for the bottom. Or you could put something else like strips of carpet or felt.

I don’t know what that costs where you live but stop by Home Depot or a local construction/hardware store and find out what it will cost.

As for the fans… Like I said, I will help you find what will fit the rest of your budget for this project. Others in here will as well… they always do.

<b>"Sometimes you can't hear me because I'm talking in parenthesis" - Steven Wright</b> :lol:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
not to be picky :wink: but that CFM is theoretical...other factors play into it...but the only way to really know is to get one of those ridiculous CFM measuring machines...UGH.
but yeah, i think that a box like that would be a great idea.
oh, and as for the rubber washers...they will help a LOT.
i took apart this old dead cdrom i had, and got these (what i have dubbed) "aircushion" grommets. i put those in the holes for my 120mm fan, and had the "aircushion" side inbetweeen the fan and the metal, and it really reduced vibration noise from the fan...i know that there are better ways to dampen the vibrations, like use long bolts with nuts and several rubber washers on each bolt to REALLY dampen and isolate the fans vibrations. and since you are probably going to build this thing out of wood (because it has very good dampening properties when compared to metal, you will have quite a good vibration isolator setup.
you could also look into lining the inside of th ebox with DYNAMAT, a sound dampening material used in the automotive industry. many people have used it to line the inside of their case. but you could line the inside of the box. then use the dampening foam filter idea that Bum_JCRules gave to even further the dampening setup.
you could also set the computer case on something soft. like put some egg crate foam on the bottom of the case, so that the feet of the case are not transferring vibrations to the box.
i think that if you built the box solidly, and insulated it, and isolated the fans, you could have quite the quiet setup. good luck, and i hope that you can find all the parts you need...if not, like JC said, people here are always willing to help find places to get stuff. :smile:

-DAvid

straius

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Hey thanks for the advice guys!

I'll sit down and plan out thoroughly what I want to do before I ask for you help. Cause if your'e going to spend time to find what I'm looking for I shoudl at least have the courtesy to KNOW what I want. hehe

I think that for the walls I'm going to do somethign similar that people do in constructing sound proof rooms. Build two walls with some sound proofing material between the two, some foam, (maybe some dynamat), then another layer of wood that the computer will rest up against.

I'll have to sketch it all out of course. (Something to do at work tomorrow! woo hoo!)

Thanks for the advice about the washers too, I'll definitely look into it.

BTW, I live in Pennsylvania, about 20min outside of Philly. So I have access to everything you mentioned above.

I'm guessing that the project won't exceed $200, but if it does, it does, so oh well. hehe

It's important so I'm willing to spend what I have to to get it done.

Thanks again for your help everyone, I really appreciate it!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
well, when you get it planned out, let us know...i am sure everyone here can input something useful! :smile:

-DAvid

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
The fan manufacturers almost always display CFM at the median voltage setting. So you are correct in saying it is theoretical output. Air density, temperature, and various other things determine CFM. You can push more volts through the fan's motor above the median. I am sure that obtaining the CFM rating on the fan is quite feasible. Thanks for the heads-up on that though. Most people probably wouldn’t think of that.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
hehe...i have heard people call that "overclocking" their fans...LOL...
i didnt know that they rate it at the MEDIAN voltage...i thought it was rated at the normal operating voltage...12v...
i dunno. :eek:

-DAvid

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i saw a guide how to make a circut that takes the 12v power and hooks it up to a pot meter and a transformer, when you turn the pot up, the voltage increases up to 17 volts.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
maybe <A HREF="http://www.dwpg.com/content.php?contid=3" target="_new">THIS</A> will give you an idea or two, scroll down to mahogony case :)

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Look at the white papers from any fan manufacturer. There is always a large variance between the maximum and the minimum. Look at this for the FBA12G12L1A 120mm fan from <A HREF="http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/appliance/pdf/fba12g.pdf" target="_new">Panasonic</A>. The minimum is 7V and the maximum is 13.8V. The optimal is the rating of 12V for the fan. However this is probably the modal figure or the most probibal voltage figure for the fan. Notice the doubling effect of the Voltage on the 24V fans. The range is 14V to 27.6V. The spread gets wider.