Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Fax feedback always says no answer

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 2:39:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Good Morning,

I would be really grateful for some help.

The XP fax wizard seems fine, but everytime I try and send a fax I get the
feedback that there has been no reply. (ie the fax machine at the other end
must be off.) This is not the case.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to get my faxes going, would be great.

I am very ignorant though, so would be hugely grateful for simple
instructions if possible.

All best wishes,
Canna.

More about : fax feedback answer

Anonymous
February 7, 2005 8:30:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not apparent
during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when you
first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will answer
an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception error."
There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the problem
might lie.

These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest drivers.


--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Canna W" <CannaW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5280F869-5731-4600-B912-883B80E3007F@microsoft.com...
> Good Morning,
>
> I would be really grateful for some help.
>
> The XP fax wizard seems fine, but everytime I try and send a fax I get the
> feedback that there has been no reply. (ie the fax machine at the other
> end
> must be off.) This is not the case.
>
> Any suggestions as to what I can do to get my faxes going, would be great.
>
> I am very ignorant though, so would be hugely grateful for simple
> instructions if possible.
>
> All best wishes,
> Canna.
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 3:43:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Hi Russ,

Just a note to say thank you very much for your help.

It's bad news (faxes are so helpful!), but at least I know where I am now.

Thanks a lot
Canna.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
> modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
> they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not apparent
> during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when you
> first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will answer
> an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
> messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception error."
> There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the problem
> might lie.
>
> These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
> enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
> require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
> advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
> on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest drivers.
>
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Canna W" <CannaW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:5280F869-5731-4600-B912-883B80E3007F@microsoft.com...
> > Good Morning,
> >
> > I would be really grateful for some help.
> >
> > The XP fax wizard seems fine, but everytime I try and send a fax I get the
> > feedback that there has been no reply. (ie the fax machine at the other
> > end
> > must be off.) This is not the case.
> >
> > Any suggestions as to what I can do to get my faxes going, would be great.
> >
> > I am very ignorant though, so would be hugely grateful for simple
> > instructions if possible.
> >
> > All best wishes,
> > Canna.
>
>
>
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 3:50:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

It does not mean you should give up sending faxes from XP. You could take a
look at different faxing software system like WinFax Pro and/or Acitve Fax
Servrer.


"Canna W" <CannaW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5A3A716B-4CAC-4D20-8BC4-1C13193BB9EA@microsoft.com...
> Hi Russ,
>
> Just a note to say thank you very much for your help.
>
> It's bad news (faxes are so helpful!), but at least I know where I am now.
>
> Thanks a lot
> Canna.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many
>> common
>> modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers
>> claim
>> they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not
>> apparent
>> during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when
>> you
>> first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will
>> answer
>> an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
>> messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception
>> error."
>> There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the
>> problem
>> might lie.
>>
>> These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
>> enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
>> require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
>> advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is
>> listed
>> on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest
>> drivers.
>>
>>
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Canna W" <CannaW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:5280F869-5731-4600-B912-883B80E3007F@microsoft.com...
>> > Good Morning,
>> >
>> > I would be really grateful for some help.
>> >
>> > The XP fax wizard seems fine, but everytime I try and send a fax I get
>> > the
>> > feedback that there has been no reply. (ie the fax machine at the
>> > other
>> > end
>> > must be off.) This is not the case.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions as to what I can do to get my faxes going, would be
>> > great.
>> >
>> > I am very ignorant though, so would be hugely grateful for simple
>> > instructions if possible.
>> >
>> > All best wishes,
>> > Canna.
>>
>>
>>
Related resources
!