Charlie

Iam using Windows XP SP2

Im trying to write a batch file which uses the net use lpt1:
\\servername\printername command.

The command works fine under an administrator account, under a normal user i
am getting the following requests.

'The password is invalid for \\servername\printername
Enter the username for servername'

The printer itself has all the right permissions and the user can print too
it fine, wondering has anyone encountered this problem or if it is something
within XP.

thanks

This is designed behaviour for security reasons. See
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313644
for work-around.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

"Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: Iam using Windows XP SP2
:
: Im trying to write a batch file which uses the net use lpt1:
: \\servername\printername command.
:
: The command works fine under an administrator account, under a normal
user i
: am getting the following requests.
:
: 'The password is invalid for \\servername\printername
: Enter the username for servername'
:
: The printer itself has all the right permissions and the user can
print too
: it fine, wondering has anyone encountered this problem or if it is
something
: within XP.
:
: thanks
:

Walt

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
I had the same problem as you described. What I did was leave out the lpt1 part of the statement.

My batch file looks like this and it works fine reqardless of priviledges.

copy filename.txt \\computername\printersharename