Ram question by newbie

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Have a Compaq deckpro EP/SB,win98,pentiumlll 600 megahertz,128 ram. Can
anyone tell me about ram or a site that is eazy to understand about
types of ram and how to buy. I have Belarc and showes 3 slots, 2 with 64
dimm. Do they need to be pc100?. I have 6 used computers i picked up and
theres a pc100, 64kb stick in one, can i add it to compaq 3rd slot ?, or
need it be a special for my pc ?.
6 answers Last reply
More about question newbie
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    The DeskPro EP/SB motherboard has an Intel 440BX chipset and uses common
    low-density non-parity non-registered non-buffered PC100 DIMM memory. Not sure
    whether the board and its BIOS will accept 256MB capacity DIMMs (probable), but
    64MB or 128MB DIMMs are a no-brainer... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:06:39 -0800, Tommeylee@webtv.net (TOM) wrote:

    >Have a Compaq deckpro EP/SB,win98,pentiumlll 600 megahertz,128 ram. Can
    >anyone tell me about ram or a site that is eazy to understand about
    >types of ram and how to buy. I have Belarc and showes 3 slots, 2 with 64
    >dimm. Do they need to be pc100?. I have 6 used computers i picked up and
    >theres a pc100, 64kb stick in one, can i add it to compaq 3rd slot ?, or
    >need it be a special for my pc ?.
    >
    >
    >
    >
  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Searched and found Crucial ram co..Says 512 max which is find, so guess
    if i look for a pc100 sdram 168 pin dimm they will work. Seen some deals
    on ebay but want to make sure of right one.---- Question---Crucial said
    cl=2. What does this mean and BIOS, is that something i update if i
    change ram or drive ?.. Looks like BIOS has not been updated since new
    1999. Thanks for help.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    If the motherboard has a Socket 370, then the max is 512MB as determined by the
    Intel 810 chipset. If it's a Slot 1, then the limit is 384MB as determined by
    the Intel 440BX chipset. The 512MB limit sounds a lot like a Socket 370 with
    Intel 810 chipset.

    The Intel 810 chipset can handle either PC100 or PC133 memory. Go by Crucial's
    info. They are very good at what they do. CL2 is the memory clocking on a
    DIMM.

    As far as the BIOS goes, leave it as is. There may not even be a newer version,
    but even so, you should have good reason to update a BIOS, such as an improved
    feature or the fix of a defect.

    The memory has no effect whatsoever should you change out the hard drive.

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 15:01:00 -0800, Tommeylee@webtv.net (TOM) wrote:

    >Searched and found Crucial ram co..Says 512 max which is find, so guess
    >if i look for a pc100 sdram 168 pin dimm they will work. Seen some deals
    >on ebay but want to make sure of right one.---- Question---Crucial said
    >cl=2. What does this mean and BIOS, is that something i update if i
    >change ram or drive ?.. Looks like BIOS has not been updated since new
    >1999. Thanks for help.
    >
    >
    >
    >
  4. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    That was very usfull and thanks.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Ben,

    My 5600i is Slot 1 (P3-450 and P3-500 -- I have two). With the latest BIOS,
    it happily supports 768M (3 x 256 -- PC100 Single Density).

    Just thought it was interesting.

    Tom
    <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    news:41fc231b.9156796@nntp.charter.net...
    > If the motherboard has a Socket 370, then the max is 512MB as determined
    > by the
    > Intel 810 chipset. If it's a Slot 1, then the limit is 384MB as
    > determined by
    > the Intel 440BX chipset. The 512MB limit sounds a lot like a Socket 370
    > with
    > Intel 810 chipset.
    >
    > The Intel 810 chipset can handle either PC100 or PC133 memory. Go by
    > Crucial's
    > info. They are very good at what they do. CL2 is the memory clocking on
    > a
    > DIMM.
    >
    > As far as the BIOS goes, leave it as is. There may not even be a newer
    > version,
    > but even so, you should have good reason to update a BIOS, such as an
    > improved
    > feature or the fix of a defect.
    >
    > The memory has no effect whatsoever should you change out the hard drive.
    >
    > On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 15:01:00 -0800, Tommeylee@webtv.net (TOM) wrote:
    >
    >>Searched and found Crucial ram co..Says 512 max which is find, so guess
    >>if i look for a pc100 sdram 168 pin dimm they will work. Seen some deals
    >>on ebay but want to make sure of right one.---- Question---Crucial said
    >>cl=2. What does this mean and BIOS, is that something i update if i
    >>change ram or drive ?.. Looks like BIOS has not been updated since new
    >>1999. Thanks for help.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    The 440BX is designed to support up to 1GB of memory in 4 DIMM sockets. With 3
    sockets, the limit is 768MB. Early BIOSes in 440BX motherboards were written
    before 256MB DIMMs were available, and often limited the max to 384MB. Some
    brands of motherboards have BIOS updates to deal with the "newer" 256MB DIMMs,
    and some do not... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 20:09:53 -0500, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

    >Ben,
    >
    >My 5600i is Slot 1 (P3-450 and P3-500 -- I have two). With the latest BIOS,
    >it happily supports 768M (3 x 256 -- PC100 Single Density).
    >
    >Just thought it was interesting.
    >
    >Tom
    ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    >news:41fc231b.9156796@nntp.charter.net...
    >> If the motherboard has a Socket 370, then the max is 512MB as determined
    >> by the
    >> Intel 810 chipset. If it's a Slot 1, then the limit is 384MB as
    >> determined by
    >> the Intel 440BX chipset. The 512MB limit sounds a lot like a Socket 370
    >> with
    >> Intel 810 chipset.
    >>
    >> The Intel 810 chipset can handle either PC100 or PC133 memory. Go by
    >> Crucial's
    >> info. They are very good at what they do. CL2 is the memory clocking on
    >> a
    >> DIMM.
    >>
    >> As far as the BIOS goes, leave it as is. There may not even be a newer
    >> version,
    >> but even so, you should have good reason to update a BIOS, such as an
    >> improved
    >> feature or the fix of a defect.
    >>
    >> The memory has no effect whatsoever should you change out the hard drive.
    >>
    >> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 15:01:00 -0800, Tommeylee@webtv.net (TOM) wrote:
    >>
    >>>Searched and found Crucial ram co..Says 512 max which is find, so guess
    >>>if i look for a pc100 sdram 168 pin dimm they will work. Seen some deals
    >>>on ebay but want to make sure of right one.---- Question---Crucial said
    >>>cl=2. What does this mean and BIOS, is that something i update if i
    >>>change ram or drive ?.. Looks like BIOS has not been updated since new
    >>>1999. Thanks for help.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>
    >
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Compaq RAM Computers