  • Hewlett Packard
  • Windows XP
a b α HP
February 8, 2005 11:55:45 PM

Hello,

I recently purchased a new PC with Windows XP Pro. My old PC was running NT
Workstation 4.0. The new PC has my old HP LaserJet 4V printer attached to
it via the parallel port. When I print tax returns to the printer, after
several seconds it prints the first page, then it pauses for 10 seconds or
so and prints the second page and so on. I had the same exact software
running on my NT 4.0 PC and, after the first page, subsequent pages printed
immediately.

I've checked the BIOS settings of the parallel port and it's an ECP port -
but it doesn't appear to have an option to modify the type of port. I've
tried the HP drivers and the Microsoft drivers with the same results. I've
also tried the generic HP LaserJet 4 drive with the same results.

Any MVP's wanna take this one??

Thanks!!

Bill Sutton, CPA
scbill@yahoo.com

More about : slow printing

Anonymous
a b α HP
February 9, 2005 12:11:32 AM

I have seen an ECP parallel port slow down the older parallel printers. Try
other settings for the parallel port, like EPP or SPP.

"Bill Sutton" <scbill@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I recently purchased a new PC with Windows XP Pro. My old PC was running
> NT Workstation 4.0. The new PC has my old HP LaserJet 4V printer attached
> to it via the parallel port. When I print tax returns to the printer,
> after several seconds it prints the first page, then it pauses for 10
> seconds or so and prints the second page and so on. I had the same exact
> software running on my NT 4.0 PC and, after the first page, subsequent
> pages printed immediately.
>
> I've checked the BIOS settings of the parallel port and it's an ECP port -
> but it doesn't appear to have an option to modify the type of port. I've
> tried the HP drivers and the Microsoft drivers with the same results.
> I've also tried the generic HP LaserJet 4 drive with the same results.
>
> Any MVP's wanna take this one??
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Bill Sutton, CPA
> scbill@yahoo.com

Anonymous
a b α HP
February 9, 2005 12:20:39 AM

Thanks for the reply.

The PC is a newer HP and I cannot find in the BIOS any place where I can set
the port type to EPP or SPP. Do you know of any other way I can change the
type?

"Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>I have seen an ECP parallel port slow down the older parallel printers.
>Try other settings for the parallel port, like EPP or SPP.
>

> "Bill Sutton" <scbill@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I recently purchased a new PC with Windows XP Pro. My old PC was running
>> NT Workstation 4.0. The new PC has my old HP LaserJet 4V printer
>> attached to it via the parallel port. When I print tax returns to the
>> printer, after several seconds it prints the first page, then it pauses
>> for 10 seconds or so and prints the second page and so on. I had the
>> same exact software running on my NT 4.0 PC and, after the first page,
>> subsequent pages printed immediately.
>>
>> I've checked the BIOS settings of the parallel port and it's an ECP
>> port - but it doesn't appear to have an option to modify the type of
>> port. I've tried the HP drivers and the Microsoft drivers with the same
>> results. I've also tried the generic HP LaserJet 4 drive with the same
>> results.
>>
>> Any MVP's wanna take this one??
>>
>> Thanks!!
>>
>> Bill Sutton, CPA
>> scbill@yahoo.com

a b α HP
February 9, 2005 12:24:33 AM

On Board devices??

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> The PC is a newer HP and I cannot find in the BIOS any place where I can
> set the port type to EPP or SPP. Do you know of any other way I can
> change the type?
>
> "Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>I have seen an ECP parallel port slow down the older parallel printers.
>>Try other settings for the parallel port, like EPP or SPP.
>>

>> "Bill Sutton" <scbill@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I recently purchased a new PC with Windows XP Pro. My old PC was
>>> running NT Workstation 4.0. The new PC has my old HP LaserJet 4V
>>> printer attached to it via the parallel port. When I print tax returns
>>> to the printer, after several seconds it prints the first page, then it
>>> pauses for 10 seconds or so and prints the second page and so on. I had
>>> the same exact software running on my NT 4.0 PC and, after the first
>>> page, subsequent pages printed immediately.
>>>
>>> I've checked the BIOS settings of the parallel port and it's an ECP
>>> port - but it doesn't appear to have an option to modify the type of
>>> port. I've tried the HP drivers and the Microsoft drivers with the same
>>> results. I've also tried the generic HP LaserJet 4 drive with the same
>>> results.
>>>
>>> Any MVP's wanna take this one??
>>>
>>> Thanks!!
>>>
>>> Bill Sutton, CPA
>>> scbill@yahoo.com

Anonymous
a b α HP
February 9, 2005 12:28:12 AM

What do you mean by on board devices?

"Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:o Yjh$5kDFHA.4072@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> On Board devices??
>
> "Bill Sutton" <scbill@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the reply.
>>
>> The PC is a newer HP and I cannot find in the BIOS any place where I can
>> set the port type to EPP or SPP. Do you know of any other way I can
>> change the type?
>>
>> "Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>>I have seen an ECP parallel port slow down the older parallel printers.
>>>Try other settings for the parallel port, like EPP or SPP.
>>>

>>> "Bill Sutton" <scbill@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b α HP
February 9, 2005 12:35:21 AM

There should be a section which you can program the port settings. Normally
it is listed in 'On Board" device settings.

> What do you mean by on board devices?
>

> "Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> news:o Yjh$5kDFHA.4072@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> On Board devices??
>>
>> "Bill Sutton" <scbill@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the reply.
>>>
>>> The PC is a newer HP and I cannot find in the BIOS any place where I can
>>> set the port type to EPP or SPP. Do you know of any other way I can
>>> change the type?
>>>
>>> "Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

February 9, 2005 2:49:49 PM

Take USB/LPT cabel for your printer. There is driver diskette too.
I have same problem and now I have a quick print and in same time I can use
computer.
Previuosly when I print computer stop respond.
advo@siol.net

"Bill Sutton" <scbill@yahoo.com> je napisal v sporoèilo

!