Console Commands for Steam games HELP?

Heinzman57

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Hi,

I noticed with all steam games using the source engine when enabling Vsync i get serious input lag on my mouse. This only happens in source engine games. I found out an odd combo that if I, in this order, use the console and type FPS_Max 60 (My refresh rate) then go into setting and turn on Vsync with triple buffering i get no input lag.

The problem is once i quit the game and re open it the FPS_Max setting is reverted to 300 making me get input lag again. Even if i just type FPS_Max 60 back in the input lag doesnt go away. I have to first disable the Vsync, then type FPS_Max 60, then re enable it.

So if anyone can help me with a fix or how to save console command changes to reflect after i restart the game i would really appreciate it.

What i think a good fix to this would be is to write a notepad scrypt

FPS_Max 60
(Insert some sort of command to enable Vsync with triple buffering)

And have it auto execute on the startup of all my source engine games. The problem is, i dont know how to do this. Please help?

Thanks,

NOTE: This used to work for TFC (team fortres classic) in the day. I think it works for all valve games, but haven't tried it on anything but tfc and "day of defeat".

Create a file called user.cfg and add the FPS_Max 60 line to it. now find either the autoexec.cfg or config.cfg file in the game (tfc, portal, some valve game folder) folder. make a copy of whichever of these files you will soon edit. Add this as the last line of that file:

exec user.cfg

Save the file and exit. Now whenever you launch the game, it should run your user.cfg file and switch the max fps to 60.

typically there's a cfg file that gets loaded with the source engine. At least that's how it was with CSS, I don't know if this is the game for all other source games. You will have to look for cfg files and go on a game by game basis. with css you could put your custom script into autoexec.cfg, but not sure with other games. If you find autoexec.cfg it's a pretty safe bet you can put it there to have it set at launch

You can modify the autoexec.cfg file and the config.cfg file manually, but if you hose it up, expect problems. This is why I mentioned creating a user.cfg file and just adding one line (exec user.cfg) to the end of the other cfg file. Since the autoexec and config files normally include key bindings, video settings, and other settings, using a user.cfg file makes it easy to copy the user.cfg file to other games and not lose key bindings or other settings for those other games.

Hi :)

That will work...although I would set it to 100 (which is the limit that old Valve games will run at) like Half life 1 etc...

All the best Brett :)