P III 1G/256/100/E Slot 1

G

Hi,
How I can o/c this PIII 1G/256/100/E real slot 1 and not pga.The m/b is ABIT BE6-II. I have try to do it from the soft menu, multiplier X 10 fsb 115, it did show 1150mhz but after a while win xp pro and win 2K pro warned me that the bios is changed or old and was not responding.The Abit's multiplier is going up to 11.5 X and I am using 3X256MB Kingston sdram.How far can I go o/c with this combo or not?

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
I also have a Abit BE6-II
Update/Flash the Bios to BEH70... the latest.
In Bios, Set/Enable the CPU Health Temp Warning buzzer to like 50 or 55C, Enable CPU Shuttoff temp 75C(don't think it allows lower)

Now crank it up! Can't change multiplier on Intel CPU's, or at least it doesn't take effect. FSB is all ya can bump up... I'v got a 1g PIII 133 FSB on a slot 1 converter card in mine(with PC150 sdram), and loose stability at about 1095 or 146FSB... you've got the 100FSB PIII with a higher multiplier - who knows how high??? Keep that temp buzzer enabled and crank it up... It'll either start buzzin or get unstable. Add cooling and faster memory/components as your wallet, rewards and reasonability suggest. Search the boards here and ya can learn a lot about maxin out that board...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your biggest problem is cooling, the motherboard can go to around 150MHz, the CPU, if it's the newer CDO stepping (1.75v) to maybe 1200MHz or more (had mine to 1250), but the coolers available for Slot 1 suck. I don't know why you didn't get the much cheaper, much faster PIII 1000EB (1G/256/133/EB), a Socket 370 version and Slotket would have allowed you to use the latest greatest Socket style coolers. And saved you around $70. And given you around 15% better performance (do to faster memory transfers, higher bus speed).

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
There is a way to cool down an extreme overclocking in a slot 1: removing the CPU plastic cartridge and installing 2 double fans heatsinks on each side of the CPU making a sandwich and that’s a lot of work.
On the other hand, the sound of those 4 5000 rpm fans……

Another way is installing 1 double fan heatsink and making a direct air duct from the case outside only to feed that HSF with room temperature air (that’s about 10ºC lower than case temp) There is good info about that at <A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com" target="_new">http://www.overclockers.com</A>

after a while win xp pro and win 2K pro warned me that the bios is changed or old and was not responding
Not sure, but did you install the latest BIOS version?

The Abit's multiplier is going up to 11.5 X
Remember that with Intel CPU’s the multiplier is not an option (in this case it’s fixed at 10X) so you can only overclock with the FSB

If you can, try to go for a slocket (ASUS has a good one for about US$ 10) and PIII 1000 EB.

G

Thanks,
The core voltage is 1.70 not 1.75.Do i gain any power if i increase the voltage?I like construction of slot 1,this is why i didn't go for the pga.I have gone to 10x120fsb and it was stable for 1 hour with temp 56 C,is this safe? I have 4 fans in the box.And yes the bios is the latest version.Now i'm thinking going for the P4 1.6A or 1.8A(which one is best for o/c?)and the ABIT TH7II m/b?????.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
56C won't damage anything but is not usually very stable.

As for the P4, both the 1.6A and 1.8A will usually do over 2.4GHz, the advantage of the 1.8A is that you can hit 2.4GHz at 133MHz FSB, using Samsung PC800 at PC1066 speed. The higher bus speed needed to get the 1.6A that high will require a drop in the CPU to RAM speed ratio.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
With the Coppermine Slot 1 you could simply glue a Socket cooler onto the core or modify the earlier SECC2 style cooler used on PII's and Sloted Athlons to make it fit (since these coolers are available in larger sizes).

TRENDING THREADS