? Registry fix for: MS photo editor won't print w/ WIN XP ..

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Subject: MS photo editor won't print w/ WIN XP & Word 2003.
Q. I like to use MS photo editor for editing and printing my digital images.
My company recently provided me with a Dell D800 laptop running WIN XP Pro
and Office 2003. Office 2003 does not come with "MS photo editor" instead it
comes with "windows picture and fax viewer" which has almost no editing
capability. I can still open MS photo editor, because I copied it over to the
new computer, and edit my digital images. But when I try to print I get the
following error "Microsoft Photo Editor has encountered a problem and needs
to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." and must close Photo Editor
to continue. Does anyone know of a way to make Photo Editor work & print in
this environment, like via a registry change. I believe there was an earlier
such change to enable Photo Editor to work fully with Office 2000, not sure
though.
Photo Editor came with Office 97, which I still have. Perhaps I could dual
load Word 97 along with Word 2003 and choose Word 97 when I want to run Photo
Editor? I'm not sure that this would work even if I did this. The
incompatibility is maybe with WIN XP, don't know.
Any help would be appreciated.

If you merely copied it over and did not install it, it's missing all the
Registry Entries it needs.

Find your original Office CDs and install it (through a Custom
Installation).
www.coribright.com

"Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Subject: MS photo editor won't print w/ WIN XP & Word 2003.
> Q. I like to use MS photo editor for editing and printing my digital
> images.
> My company recently provided me with a Dell D800 laptop running WIN XP Pro
> and Office 2003. Office 2003 does not come with "MS photo editor" instead
> it
> comes with "windows picture and fax viewer" which has almost no editing
> capability. I can still open MS photo editor, because I copied it over to
> the
> new computer, and edit my digital images. But when I try to print I get
> the
> following error "Microsoft Photo Editor has encountered a problem and
> needs
> to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." and must close Photo
> Editor
> to continue. Does anyone know of a way to make Photo Editor work & print
> in
> this environment, like via a registry change. I believe there was an
> earlier
> such change to enable Photo Editor to work fully with Office 2000, not
> sure
> though.
> Photo Editor came with Office 97, which I still have. Perhaps I could dual
> load Word 97 along with Word 2003 and choose Word 97 when I want to run
> Photo
> Editor? I'm not sure that this would work even if I did this. The
> incompatibility is maybe with WIN XP, don't know.
> Any help would be appreciated.

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, how did I forget that.
I installed as you advised, from Office 97, but problem still remains. I am
thinking it's an incompatibility with WIN XP ??
What do you think ?

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> If you merely copied it over and did not install it, it's missing all the
> Registry Entries it needs.
>
> Find your original Office CDs and install it (through a Custom
> Installation).
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing & Imaging
> www.coribright.com
>
> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Subject: MS photo editor won't print w/ WIN XP & Word 2003.
> > Q. I like to use MS photo editor for editing and printing my digital
> > images.
> > My company recently provided me with a Dell D800 laptop running WIN XP Pro
> > and Office 2003. Office 2003 does not come with "MS photo editor" instead
> > it
> > comes with "windows picture and fax viewer" which has almost no editing
> > capability. I can still open MS photo editor, because I copied it over to
> > the
> > new computer, and edit my digital images. But when I try to print I get
> > the
> > following error "Microsoft Photo Editor has encountered a problem and
> > needs
> > to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." and must close Photo
> > Editor
> > to continue. Does anyone know of a way to make Photo Editor work & print
> > in
> > this environment, like via a registry change. I believe there was an
> > earlier
> > such change to enable Photo Editor to work fully with Office 2000, not
> > sure
> > though.
> > Photo Editor came with Office 97, which I still have. Perhaps I could dual
> > load Word 97 along with Word 2003 and choose Word 97 when I want to run
> > Photo
> > Editor? I'm not sure that this would work even if I did this. The
> > incompatibility is maybe with WIN XP, don't know.
> > Any help would be appreciated.

glow

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005

Actually that's strange, because with my installation of office 2003 on my
other PC I receive Microsoft office picture manager, and Microsoft office
document imaging along with Microsoft office document scanning , I don't use
the windows picture and fax viewer except for Jpg's on the other PC. are you
sure they didn't screw up the install, or you just didn't know what it was
you were looking for due to name changes?

> Of course, how did I forget that.
> I installed as you advised, from Office 97, but problem still remains. I
> am
> thinking it's an incompatibility with WIN XP ??
> What do you think ?
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> If you merely copied it over and did not install it, it's missing all the
>> Registry Entries it needs.
>>
>> Find your original Office CDs and install it (through a Custom
>> Installation).
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing & Imaging
>> www.coribright.com
>>
>> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Subject: MS photo editor won't print w/ WIN XP & Word 2003.
>> > Q. I like to use MS photo editor for editing and printing my digital
>> > images.
>> > My company recently provided me with a Dell D800 laptop running WIN XP
>> > Pro
>> > and Office 2003. Office 2003 does not come with "MS photo editor"
>> > instead
>> > it
>> > comes with "windows picture and fax viewer" which has almost no editing
>> > capability. I can still open MS photo editor, because I copied it over
>> > the
>> > new computer, and edit my digital images. But when I try to print I get
>> > the
>> > following error "Microsoft Photo Editor has encountered a problem and
>> > needs
>> > to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." and must close Photo
>> > Editor
>> > to continue. Does anyone know of a way to make Photo Editor work &
>> > print
>> > in
>> > this environment, like via a registry change. I believe there was an
>> > earlier
>> > such change to enable Photo Editor to work fully with Office 2000, not
>> > sure
>> > though.
>> > Photo Editor came with Office 97, which I still have. Perhaps I could
>> > dual
>> > load Word 97 along with Word 2003 and choose Word 97 when I want to run
>> > Photo
>> > Editor? I'm not sure that this would work even if I did this. The
>> > incompatibility is maybe with WIN XP, don't know.
>> > Any help would be appreciated.

I have been upgrading people in my company and everybody who I have
upgraded has this same problem. A temporary solution is to open it with
another program such as Imaging. Other than that I don't know what to
tell you. Any thoughts by anybody else?