Sign in with
Your question

Ps4 rumored to have a 7900 series GPU, should help Pc games?

Last response: in Video Games
August 22, 2012 1:57:50 PM

I think this is good news, the ps4 was originally rumored to have a low end current gen card but is now rumored to have something like a 7950.

Consoles usually hold pc games way back because they need to develop something workable on all platforms. If this is true I may hold off on buying a wii U since it will be so severely underpowered.

What do you guys think?
August 22, 2012 2:02:50 PM

No way it will have HD 7950 inside. First of all, it would make the playstation too expensive. Secondly, it would need too much power. Finally, if it was the truth, they'd have to delay PS4 even further due to HD 7950 having come out recently (remember, hardware modification for consoles takes a very long time: by the time it's ready, it would be outdated already).
August 22, 2012 2:54:13 PM

I think it would be doable in a 400-500 dollar system. It mentions an R10x series chip, I'm guessing that can be had directly from Amd for 150-200 being conservative
Related resources
August 22, 2012 4:33:39 PM

I am with Sunius on this one there have been rumours that put all kinds of hardware in it and a 7950 is one of the most unlikely ones I have heard.
August 22, 2012 4:53:08 PM

It kinda makes sense if they are going to charge 499.99 like the original ps3

At that price in 2013-14, you can easily build a pc around a 7950 as a consumer with no special bulk pricing.... Even right now you're maybe 100-150 off base as a consumer

In 2005 both Microsoft and Sony used very new technology for that time, it wouldn't make sense to use a 76xx chip... That's putting their console so far behind even a mid level 300-400 dollar gaming pc... Idk I could be wrong but to me if it's not even remotely comparible to my current pc I wouldn't even consider buying a console other than Nintendo
August 22, 2012 5:06:46 PM

xxsjxx1 said:
It kinda makes sense if they are going to charge 499.99 like the original ps3

At that price in 2013-14, you can easily build a pc around a 7950 as a consumer with no special bulk pricing.... Even right now you're maybe 100-150 off base as a consumer

In 2005 both Microsoft and Sony used very new technology for that time, it wouldn't make sense to use a 76xx chip... That's putting their console so far behind even a mid level 300-400 dollar gaming pc... Idk I could be wrong but to me if it's not even remotely comparible to my current pc I wouldn't even consider buying a console other than Nintendo

you are forgetting a simple fact

consoles don't need to be as powerful as pc's

a console doesnt need to run a full operating system with other programs and an antivirus.

if we use the psp as an example. when you go into games the console shutsdown loads of functions that are not required for that game (there is bassically a file that has all the functions the game will use in it)

a pc can't do this because if it did then you wouldnt be able to play your games.

and then there is the fact that consoles don't use directx i forget the exact graphics technology they used but its more efficient than directx9 i believe
August 22, 2012 6:25:43 PM

Well it will help PC games if a 7900 ends up in the PS4 as graphics will move forward considerably with the optimisation of the GPU chip. I don't think it would cost loads if a 7950 ended up in one, AMD charges the money they charge for the GPU because they can not because they have to. Their high end chips in the HD4xxx days sold for far less than today and I doubt ATI at the time made a loss. The PS3 started off at £500 anyway so I can see the PS4 having a HD7900.
August 22, 2012 9:58:16 PM

I would put money on it having less than a 7770 but rumours are likely this will crossfire with an A8 or A10 CPU and the Xbox is likely to be very similar. Whatever is correct is consoles having PC hardware I imagine this would lead to games being very easy to port between consoles and PC which is good for both.
August 26, 2012 12:58:11 AM

Consoles have games made around them mostly, so you get more out of it. Also they can get better GPU' at lower prices as they can bulk buy them. The price will be what it was before £425, or at least around that mark. Who knows what they are gonna do things change so much in the matter of a few days. Tomorrow it will be something completely different.
August 27, 2012 2:29:22 PM

shanky887614 said:

a console doesnt need to run a full operating system with other programs and an antivirus.

if we use the psp as an example. when you go into games the console shutsdown loads of functions that are not required for that game (there is bassically a file that has all the functions the game will use in it)

a pc can't do this because if it did then you wouldnt be able to play your games.

and then there is the fact that consoles don't use directx i forget the exact graphics technology they used but its more efficient than directx9 i believe

consoles do use directx, xbox at least. how do you think it got its name? microsoft's directx box. look it up if you dont believe me.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox
August 29, 2012 10:51:23 AM

tjosborne said:
consoles do use directx, xbox at least. how do you think it got its name? microsoft's directx box. look it up if you dont believe me.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox

:whistle: Hi, firstly DirectX is Microsofts ONLY proprietory hardware based instruction set API. Here is what I can remember... :ange: 

Meaning it is their only hand in the cookie jar with regards to hardware accelerated math- and geometry functions and fancy stuff like shaders that, ultimately created a widely used ,accepted and standardised interface for hardware vendors to be licenced by MS to synthesize silicon wavers with preloaded instruction set into their sound cards, graphic accelerators and HID devices.

Hence a DX -9 ,-10 ,-10.1 ,11 and all earlier versions know as the DDI version. Which basically means Direct Draw Interface, the grand father of DirectX. Direct Draw is only simple 2 dimensional shapes, lines and circles. Later MS added simple 3D- ,network- and input functions which was christened Direct3D, DirectPlay, DirectInput respectivelty and packaged together as DirectX.

Lol, I remember back in 95-96 when Windows 95 was launched on CD, and included a demo bumpcar game with very low resolution graphics,which used DirectX 6 or 7 ,cant remember, with a simple 3D world and sprite based enemies. Earlier versions until 5.5 was barely know and still in infancy.(I wonder if they never considered to drop the API) Damn, where have these days gone... ^^ Installing Windows 95 from 30 odd stiffy's 1.44mb at a time with a terrible read-rate of around 100-300kbs. Ghrrrr gruu...shuuk skoook gghruuuoooooouuu. :fou: 

But anyway as time progressed so had DirectX's influence, with versions 8 and 8.1 coming during Windows 98 and before Windows 2000 and -ME.(B.T.W.~ Windows Mellenium Edition, was like Vista's failure but back then...lol) A DirectX boom came to life with game titles like Dungeon Keeper and Age of Empires hitting the shelves.And I think This was the cut-of-the-lint-barrier for DirectX's future road with Windows XP on the horizon and DirectX 9 and 9b released and shipped with "Designed for Windows XP" OEM PC's, DirectX 9c was released a few months later and new developments became stagnent for a year or two after PixelShader2.0 aka PS2.0.

Microsoft Announced Windows codename Longhorn,which I still have a install copy off :kaola:  ♥, with support for DirectX 10 and and PS3.0 .Later released onto shelves the world full and every notebook and new PC was preloaded with the now dreaded Windows Vista.
After many ,many ,many updates Microsoft finally released SP1 for Vista and DirectX 10.1 came to light with PS4.0 support. And new specular-, bump- and other materials was added to create beautiful scenes and virtual worlds.

Alas ,2-3 years later the cheeky, fast, 'trimmed-all-the-fat-off-of'..' Windows 7, was released without the aging GDI released with previous versions and a brand new ui natively supporting DirectX 10.1 and eventually DirectX 11 with PS4.1 and 5.0 and key feature Tessalation, which literaly makes a simple polygon(triangle) split itself into even smaller triangles fitting into the original simple triangle. Creating stunning realism in uneven surfaces like cobble-stones and grassy scenes, mountains and more detailed shapes rendered on the fly inside a game world, greatly reducing sizes of 3D world nurbs-curves and pygons.

And oh yes, the first DirectXbox console released 2001 used a trimmed DirectX 8.1 version and a custom OS believed to be a custmised Windows 2000 kernel, and was later shortened to only XBox.

In 2005 the Xbox360 was unleashed, with better custom OS and which is derived from the XNA Framework created especially to be cross platform compatle with Windows XP and up, Windows Phone and Xbox360,using MS .Net Framework 2.0 and -2.0 Compact. These 2 frameworks were build on the CLR, Common Language Runtime. CLR is basically a multi language code compiler that is part of the .Net Framework. A new Public API named XNA Game Studio was released for developers up to version 4.0. XNA also gave new popularity,but not as widely as expected, a market place where XNA studio subscribers could then sell or freeware custom apps on marketplace for Xbox360. :heink: 
August 29, 2012 6:05:24 PM

@blakwidow
great read, interesting info.
August 29, 2012 7:29:06 PM

shanky887614 said:

You're saying that consoles don't need to be as powerful as pc's with the unspoken sentiment "to perform games similarly" attached. Which is true, they need to be about 95% as powerful. But they're a fraction of that. You probably don't want to explore this train of thought too much further.

To the OP: there is no way that the new PS4 will have a new true hd 7900 series gpu, but stipulating that it did, it would still be pushing 2 generations old by the time that the PS4 (Orbis) actually releases, and only getting more out of date as time passes.

The problem with the logic in the OP is that it only remains relevant in a world where video games don't advance beyond right this second. This isn't reality.
!