figured out my prob, now need help

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
ok i ahve posted a million times about my problem with lock-ups and random restarts upon initial boot-up of my abit TH7II mb, p4 1.6a, and samsung rdram, in win98 se. well after messing with re-installing the o/s all day yesterday i still ahd the problem. so only after i spent all the time to re-install the o/s and loose all my links and games did it dawn on me to un-overclock and put things back to stock. and it worked.

so now my question is why can't i overclock? is it because of win98se? or is because of somehting else? i only had it overclocked to 2.01ghz via 125bus. i had my v-core at the stock 1.5 and even at the highest 1.625. is there any other settings that might help or do i maybe have bad hardware?

repeat after me, we are all individuals!

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
is there really a point in overclocking to less than 2.0 ghz from 1.6? why can't i even oc to 2.01 when others in this forum have been able to get to like 2.4?

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
hmm..i havent had much EXP overclocking the P4, but i do know that EVERY chip and EVERY board will have slight differences.

it also depends on how hot your cpu is getting.
you will need some REAL good airflow, with COLD air...not too cold that it creates CONDENSATION, but cold to drop the case temps.
temp has a big role in how high you can overclock...that is why people who cool with FREON can go up to like 3ghz+!
check temps...that might be holding you back.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
i am pretty sure heat was not an issue, the cpu was running around 43C. right now on it's stock 1.6 it's running at 41C.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
hmm....that doesnt sound hot....
i dunno...someone who has EXP with P4 needs to post here!!!
cmon guys, i know you are reading this! :wink:

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I always thought the pents ran a lot cooler than the athys, is the 41C idle? if so, then going off what I hear about pents being cooler, then it may well be a heat problem based on the theory that if a pent runs cooler than an athy, and an idle temp of 41C is about ok for an athy, then the pent running a the same temp must be too hot
er I hope that makes sense!!

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?