Heatsink material

johnnyx

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2002
I have the opportunity to machine my own heatsink and water block! I just have 1 question: What is the best grade/type of copper and aluminum to make it out of?

Thanks

If an orange was driving a racecar would it peel out? www.jxfiles.com

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
just to tell you, if you are going to make a water cooling system w/ aluminum and copper in it, you should take precautions against corrosion. that happens a lot if you don't protect it w/ something.

Jesus may save, but <i>I</i> invest.

johnnyx

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2002
thats great but what is the best grade of those metals to make it out if?

If an orange was driving a racecar would it peel out? www.jxfiles.com

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
hmm, well, i would say that you would want as pure a copper as you can get your hands on, but i dont know how soft that is going to be.
wouldnt want it to be too soft because then the cpu would smash into it.
but i dunno, maybe there isnt even different grades of copper...
i think that at hardware stores, they sell copper...but i am not sure if they sell blocks of it.
as for aluminum, i dont know what grade to use for heatsinks...
i know that the higher the number, the stronger it is. like anything above 6000 is aircraft grade.
i dont have any links to metallic analysis or anything, but i am sure someone does.
but yeah, if you are making a watercooling system, i would say to make it all out of the same material...that way, you lessen the chance of something corroding. but if the heatsinks are seperate, then i would say dont worry about it.
i wish i knew more about the different types of metallic alloys and their heat dissipation, so i could give more information...
but the copper, i think that what they sell at a hardware store, if they sell blocks, is most likely sufficient. but chances are, that they dont...
are there different grades of copper? and how are they identified?

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I cant help you directly, but if you head over to the overclocking forum at <A HREF="http://www.hardwarecentral.com" target="_new">hardwarecentral</A> and look out for a bloke called bladerunner, Im sure he will help you out, he's made waterblocks for ALL his pc, including the psu!

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
waterblocks for the PSU eh?
sounds like a good idea...would eliminate every last heatsource.
now all he needs to do is make a block for the power mosfets on the mobo...or has he already done that? :smile:

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
he put it all up on the web, <A HREF="http://www.zerofanzone.co.uk/" target="_new">heres his site</A>

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?