Going Link Dead

Last response: in Video Games
June 11, 2005 6:14:31 AM

Hey folks I could use some help here. I have a home built pc that just
doesn't seem to like EQ1 , I'm on a home network with 5 computers total. 4
of the 5 are box pc's and seem to run EQ fine except for low graphics and
lag (Dell 3000, Dell 2400, Compaq and even a Dell Latitude laptop) but this
home built just has trouble.I'm on a broadband cable modem with a linksys
router. The home built has: AlbatronKX600PRo mainboard, 1 gb ram (in
2-512meg 400hz Corsair sticks), BFG5500OC Vid card, Creative Audigy 2 ZS
Plat sound card and drive, A Maxtor 13gb boot drive and a 40 gb Maxtor
drive, 440watt power supply multiple fans (4 in case) and is running Win XP
Pro.
It goes ld every time I zone. for a while I could only log back on after I
deleted my character files. I seem to have been able to get that to stop but
now I seem to go ld at anytime no matter how many are in the zone with me (2
or 212). I'm just starting on this game and really like it but have already
found that I can't stand Sony's tech support.

Any help would be appreciated.
Luke

More about : link dead

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 11:05:33 AM

> It goes ld every time I zone. for a while I could only log back on after I
> deleted my character files. I seem to have been able to get that to stop but
> now I seem to go ld at anytime no matter how many are in the zone with me (2
> or 212). I'm just starting on this game and really like it but have already
> found that I can't stand Sony's tech support.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
Sony has an online FAQ which has proven to be helpful a few times. I
have had times when going LD would come for days or weeks and then just
go away. A typical solution is to try to disable the different
peripherals until the problem goes away. You might even halve the
memory (i have seen posts that claim EQ crashes more with more memory);
or maybe one of the dimms is bad.

LD problems are the more frustrating.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 2:16:59 PM

Luke Henderson wrote:
> Hey folks I could use some help here. I have a home built pc that just
> doesn't seem to like EQ1 , I'm on a home network with 5 computers total. 4
> of the 5 are box pc's and seem to run EQ fine except for low graphics and
> lag (Dell 3000, Dell 2400, Compaq and even a Dell Latitude laptop) but this
> home built just has trouble.I'm on a broadband cable modem with a linksys
> router. The home built has: AlbatronKX600PRo mainboard, 1 gb ram (in
> 2-512meg 400hz Corsair sticks), BFG5500OC Vid card, Creative Audigy 2 ZS
> Plat sound card and drive, A Maxtor 13gb boot drive and a 40 gb Maxtor
> drive, 440watt power supply multiple fans (4 in case) and is running Win XP
> Pro.
> It goes ld every time I zone. for a while I could only log back on after I
> deleted my character files. I seem to have been able to get that to stop but
> now I seem to go ld at anytime no matter how many are in the zone with me (2
> or 212). I'm just starting on this game and really like it but have already
> found that I can't stand Sony's tech support.

If you only go LD when zoning, and zoning always makes you go LD, that
suggests to me some kind of network issue, rather than a problem
internal to your PC. You might want to consider in what ways the
networking for this machine differs from that on those machines that
have no trouble zoning. Is there a potentially suspect network card?
ARe you running some kind of software firewall or virus checker that
might interfere with network operations? Maybe even try connecting the
problem machine to a different port on the back of your router.

--
Larry Lard
Replies to group please