what does the v-core do?

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
ok, i tried overclocking my p41.6 on abit th7II mb. but when i over clocked to a mediocre 2.01 that stupid win98se would restart and lock up upon initial boot-up(but interestingly enough not subsequent ones). so my question is, does my problem have anyhting to do with the v-core? what does uping the vcore do? i tried my oc with default vcore1.5 as well as the highest i can see in the bios 1.675 or something, neither one worked. would maybe a v-core setting inbetween those make my oc work or do i need to update the bios and get a vcore of 1.7? or does vcore have nothing to do with my problem?

in sum: what does the vcore do for the p4 and what vcore do you p4 ocers have set right now and at what mhz are you running? oh eyah, what temp are you guys at too? i am running like 41C at idle with my stock 1.6, is that too hot for p4?

repeat after me, we are all individuals!

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Vcore is the amount of voltage the CPU is allowed to draw, not how much voltage that will be sent to the CPU.

Increasing your vcore is standard when overclocking.

You can update your BIOS to get higher vcore settings. and I would highly recomend doing so.

Your temps seem a little hot, Arkua makes a nice heatsink for dirt cheap for the P4 that performs extreamly well.

The cooler you get your CPU the higher you can overclock with stability.

Increasing your vcore to max will not harm your system. so do not worry about hurting something with BIOS changes on the TH7-II mobo.

Once you have mastered overclocking using vcore, ram 300/400 divider, and FSB locking, and a beefy heatsink, then you can move on to modding the motherboard for higher vcore than normally possible.

I have above average cooling and have breached 2.8Ghz on my P4 1.6a on a TH7-II motherboard booting from onboard RAID drives. Once again, <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=649275#649275" target="_new">my cooling is above average.</A>

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.