Resetting ink levels

February 12, 2005 3:32:09 PM

I've replaced the color cartridge in my Dell A940 printer (was running very
low, while black ink still at 80%). Aligned cartridges, and the printer is
working just fine. However, the pop-up window that comes up when I hit
'Print', that displays ink levels has not detected the new cartridge. It
continued to go down until it told me the cartridge was completely empty. In
fact, it's almost full. Can find no instructions for resetting the meter.
Can anyone give me the steps? (Computer is Dell 4600C, running Windows XP
Home Edition). Thanks!

More about : resetting ink levels

Anonymous
February 12, 2005 6:10:18 PM

If they are Dell cartridges then read the printer manual. If they are
refilled, you'll probably be lookinf for some device to reset the chip on
the cartridges.
--
Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing & Imaging)
www.coribright.com

"stork" <dpurdin@atlanticbb.net> wrote in message
> I've replaced the color cartridge in my Dell A940 printer (was running
> very
> low, while black ink still at 80%). Aligned cartridges, and the printer is
> working just fine. However, the pop-up window that comes up when I hit
> 'Print', that displays ink levels has not detected the new cartridge. It
> continued to go down until it told me the cartridge was completely empty.
> In
> fact, it's almost full. Can find no instructions for resetting the meter.
> Can anyone give me the steps? (Computer is Dell 4600C, running Windows XP
> Home Edition). Thanks!

Anonymous
February 12, 2005 8:09:45 PM

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums?category.id=dpr...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"stork" wrote:

| I've replaced the color cartridge in my Dell A940 printer (was running very
| low, while black ink still at 80%). Aligned cartridges, and the printer is
| working just fine. However, the pop-up window that comes up when I hit
| 'Print', that displays ink levels has not detected the new cartridge. It
| continued to go down until it told me the cartridge was completely empty. In
| fact, it's almost full. Can find no instructions for resetting the meter.
| Can anyone give me the steps? (Computer is Dell 4600C, running Windows XP
| Home Edition). Thanks!
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 3:51:10 PM

Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
> If they are Dell cartridges then read the printer manual. If they are
> refilled, you'll probably be lookinf for some device to reset the
> chip on the cartridges.

You can't refill tanks - it just won't work. I also have to say the OP must
either not use the printer very much, or must be incredibly wealthy - as you
know, Dell printers can only take Dell tanks.

Depending on when - and where - the system was purchased, the printer could
have very well have been a freebie (but I hope it wasn't the pivotal
influence on purchase). A black tank is £25 and a colour £30 - the unit only
costs £50!

on salads.
!