How about the oldest bug in the world?

Hi group,

reading the "bug shout..." thread it reminded me about what must be the
oldest bug (or feature) in the game.

When I started playing, in the summer of 2000, the marketplace was in the EC
tunnel.

The game very often cut off whitespaces and the last digit of numbers, but
only when the swear filter is on.

Fictional Example:

You auction, WTS Sacrificial Dagger, only 400 pp.

This would show up as "40p", with the last number, the space and one of the
"p"'s missing, for those with the swear filter turned on.

You tell a friend, 'give me a tell with 'two hundred plat'
A friend tells you, '20p'

It's become painfully obvious since I started 4-boxing how what you type is
not always what it looks like on the other side, even if you master the
language you speak and are not intoxicated.

I repeat, this only happens when you have the bad words filter turned on.

Another example is capitalising what you write, I can't see any meaning with
it.
You tell your guild, 'gnome.'
Other people see you tell the guild, 'Gnome'

It's just one of those non-critical bugs that you learn to live with, get
used to and forget to consider them bugs after a while.

See you in there!

/Murmix, Murella, Murmini & Murezza,
Strawberry gnome family of Firiona Vie.

Family picture: http://members.chello.se/murmix/murpeople2.jpg
15 answers Last reply
More about oldest world

    A bug I would love to see fixed something during my lifetime: ships
    running without the dreaded 20k death bug while at sea or fighting a
    shark onbord (how it fights while out of the water is beyond me).

    The last letter of my text is often cut-off for those viewing it. I've taken
    to adding a space and a period after my typing just to make sure that it is
    all seen. But it is not all the time and I'm not sure why it happens

    Mike W.

    How come it seems like it took no time at all to get this far in life,
    yet it seems like it takes forever to get to Friday?

    "Impmon" <impmon@digi.mon> wrote in message
    >A bug I would love to see fixed something during my lifetime: ships
    > running without the dreaded 20k death bug while at sea or fighting a
    > shark onbord (how it fights while out of the water is beyond me).
    > --
    > When you hear the toilet flush, and hear the words "uh oh", it's already
    > too late. - by anonymous Mother in Austin, TX
    > To reply, replace digi.mon with phreaker.net

    How about buffs landing nanoseconds after your buff icon blinks it's final
    blink, and the buff doesn't hold and you get the text:

    Your Buff X spell has faded.
    You are filled with the spell Buff X.
    Your Buff X spell has faded.

    I remember this happening to me since I started playing in Kunark days.

    "Mike W." <dropster69NO@SPAMhotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > The last letter of my text is often cut-off for those viewing it. I've
    > taken to adding a space and a period after my typing just to make sure
    > that it is all seen. But it is not all the time and I'm not sure why it
    > happens

    I have been experimenting more with this since I posted, and turned on the
    badword filter on two characters in my fourbox army.

    Those two characters, and only those two, have since that seen that
    happening a lot. First letter becomes a capital one, and last letter with
    the punctuation disappears.

    The bad word filter is bad.

    "Impmon" <impmon@digi.mon> wrote in message
    | A bug I would love to see fixed something during my lifetime: ships
    | running without the dreaded 20k death bug while at sea or fighting a
    | shark onbord (how it fights while out of the water is beyond me).

    Oh they did fix that bug, they deleted the ship ; )

    Mike W. wrote:
    > The last letter of my text is often cut-off for those viewing it. I've taken
    > to adding a space and a period after my typing just to make sure that it is
    > all seen. But it is not all the time and I'm not sure why it happens

    I used to get that when talking to one guy from Asia. I didn't know anyone else from there so i don't know if that was
    relevant, but as his English was poor anyway, it was very frustrating. He'd type "so" when he meant sow or soe, and i'd
    explain that i kept losing the last character and ask which one he wanted. "So", he'd reply. We were going through a lot
    of zones in those days where the choice could be crucial. Oh well.

    Shadow <na@na.na> wrote in

    > Mike W. wrote:
    >> The last letter of my text is often cut-off for those viewing it.
    >> I've taken to adding a space and a period after my typing just to
    >> make sure that it is all seen. But it is not all the time and I'm not
    >> sure why it happens
    >
    > I used to get that when talking to one guy from Asia. I didn't know
    > anyone else from there so i don't know if that was relevant, but as
    > his English was poor anyway, it was very frustrating. He'd type "so"
    > when he meant sow or soe, and i'd explain that i kept losing the last
    > character and ask which one he wanted. "So", he'd reply. We were going
    > through a lot of zones in those days where the choice could be
    > crucial. Oh well.

    I've seen that issue off and on, and took to padding everything with a
    period on the end and/or a space, and it seemed to take care of it. I
    have not seen that issue as much for quite some time, although I do hear
    others occasionally complain about it happening to what they type.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
    Graeme, 33 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter
    Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

    >A bug I would love to see fixed something during my lifetime: ships
    >running without the dreaded 20k death bug while at sea or fighting a
    >shark onbord (how it fights while out of the water is beyond me).

    Official word is that not a bug but is to stop an "exploit", ie
    stops you fighting fish where they can't reach you. Sounds like a
    sensible tactic to me but anyway how wants to fight fish? No one by the
    look of it! Be far better to make fish background critters you can't
    fight and the few that can sensible come onto land (eg turtles, sirens
    etc) mobs you can attack.

    On 14 Jun 2005 06:59:52 -0700, "BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >>A bug I would love to see fixed something during my lifetime: ships
    >>running without the dreaded 20k death bug while at sea or fighting a
    >>shark onbord (how it fights while out of the water is beyond me).
    >
    >Official word is that not a bug but is to stop an "exploit", ie
    >stops you fighting fish where they can't reach you. Sounds like a
    >sensible tactic to me but anyway how wants to fight fish? No one by the
    >look of it! Be far better to make fish background critters you can't
    >fight and the few that can sensible come onto land (eg turtles, sirens
    >etc) mobs you can attack.

    yes i have always wondered about that.. why call it an "exploit" after
    all why shouldnt one be able to shoot a mob from afar so that it cant
    reach you? to me it sounsd more sensible to let the mob run away if it
    can.
    --
    "I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
    Groucho Marx.

    >>>A bug I would love to see fixed something during my lifetime: ships
    >>>running without the dreaded 20k death bug while at sea or fighting a
    >>>shark onboard (how it fights while out of the water is beyond me).

    >>Official word is that not a bug but is to stop an "exploit", i.e.
    >>stops you fighting fish where they can't reach you. Sounds like a
    >>sensible tactic to me but anyway how wants to fight fish? No one by the
    >>look of it! Be far better to make fish background critters you can't
    >>fight and the few that can sensible come onto land (eg turtles, sirens
    >>etc) mobs you can attack.

    >Yes I have always wondered about that. Why call it an "exploit" after
    >all why shouldn't one be able to shoot a mob from afar so that it cant
    >reach you? To me it sounds more sensible to let the mob run away if it
    >can.

    Because SOE says if you can attack a mob, which can't harm you, it
    would encourage powerleving. Mind you hitting from distance is the
    sensible tactic for a mage, ie fire of loads of spells at range, once
    the mob closes the distance root it, back of and start hitting it
    again.

    The thing about fighting in water that gets me is how it works. I mean
    how does my mage ignite and fire a fire bolt while under water? How
    come my electric bolt doesn't kill me and everything else near it?
    The whole thing is ludicrous if you think about it.

    "BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in

    > The thing about fighting in water that gets me is how it works. I mean
    > how does my mage ignite and fire a fire bolt while under water? How
    > come my electric bolt doesn't kill me and everything else near it?
    > The whole thing is ludicrous if you think about it.

    It's magic...

    I mean how does your mage just will a fire to ignite? The whole thing is
    ludicrous if you think about it...

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
    Graeme, 34 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter
    Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

    In article <1118837397.215272.19500@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    bombaymix@altavista.co.uk says...

    > >>Official word is that not a bug but is to stop an "exploit", i.e.
    > >>stops you fighting fish where they can't reach you. Sounds like a
    > >>sensible tactic to me but anyway how wants to fight fish? No one by the
    > >>look of it! Be far better to make fish background critters you can't
    > >>fight and the few that can sensible come onto land (eg turtles, sirens
    > >>etc) mobs you can attack.
    >
    > >Yes I have always wondered about that. Why call it an "exploit" after
    > >all why shouldn't one be able to shoot a mob from afar so that it cant
    > >reach you? To me it sounds more sensible to let the mob run away if it
    > >can.
    >
    > Because SOE says if you can attack a mob, which can't harm you, it
    > would encourage powerleving. Mind you hitting from distance is the
    > sensible tactic for a mage, ie fire of loads of spells at range, once
    > the mob closes the distance root it, back of and start hitting it
    > again.
    >
    > The thing about fighting in water that gets me is how it works. I mean
    > how does my mage ignite and fire a fire bolt while under water? How
    > come my electric bolt doesn't kill me and everything else near it?
    > The whole thing is ludicrous if you think about it.

    Its 'magic' ;)

    If you've already accepted that then complaining that its not realistic
    is ludicrous.

    On 14 Jun 2005 06:59:52 -0700 in
    <1118757592.482012.78650@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, "BombayMix"
    <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> graced the world with this thought:

    >Official word is that not a bug but is to stop an "exploit", ie
    >stops you fighting fish where they can't reach you. Sounds like a
    >sensible tactic

    you probably wouldn't find it quite as sensible, if you were the one
    being killed, and you had no way of fighting back... and it's not just
    fish.

    BombayMix wrote:
    >>A bug I would love to see fixed something during my lifetime: ships
    >>running without the dreaded 20k death bug while at sea or fighting a
    >>shark onbord (how it fights while out of the water is beyond me).
    >

    > Official word is that not a bug but is to stop an "exploit", ie
    > stops you fighting fish where they can't reach you. Sounds like a
    > sensible tactic to me but anyway how wants to fight fish? No one by the
    > look of it! Be far better to make fish background critters you can't
    > fight and the few that can sensible come onto land (eg turtles, sirens
    > etc) mobs you can attack.

    I agree except having a few underwater zones where you could fight sharks etc would be good. I miss fighting sahuagin
    and their pets!

    I hated the underwater combat in eq1 but at least EB items were a little easier to get at low level. The seas are really
    underutilised in eq2.

    "BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in message

    >>>Official word is that not a bug but is to stop an "exploit", i.e.
    >>>stops you fighting fish where they can't reach you. Sounds like a
    >>>sensible tactic to me but anyway how wants to fight fish? No one by the
    >>>look of it! Be far better to make fish background critters you can't
    >>>fight and the few that can sensible come onto land (eg turtles, sirens
    >>>etc) mobs you can attack.
    >
    >>Yes I have always wondered about that. Why call it an "exploit" after
    >>all why shouldn't one be able to shoot a mob from afar so that it cant
    >>reach you? To me it sounds more sensible to let the mob run away if it
    >>can.
    >
    > Because SOE says if you can attack a mob, which can't harm you, it
    > would encourage powerleving. Mind you hitting from distance is the
    > sensible tactic for a mage, ie fire of loads of spells at range, once
    > the mob closes the distance root it, back of and start hitting it
    > again.
    >
    > The thing about fighting in water that gets me is how it works. I mean
    > how does my mage ignite and fire a fire bolt while under water?

    its a phosphorous fireball?

    lee

    >How
    > come my electric bolt doesn't kill me and everything else near it?
    > The whole thing is ludicrous if you think about it.

Filter Bug Video Games