Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How about the oldest bug in the world?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 8:30:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Hi group,

reading the "bug shout..." thread it reminded me about what must be the
oldest bug (or feature) in the game.

When I started playing, in the summer of 2000, the marketplace was in the EC
tunnel.

The game very often cut off whitespaces and the last digit of numbers, but
only when the swear filter is on.


Fictional Example:

You auction, WTS Sacrificial Dagger, only 400 pp.

This would show up as "40p", with the last number, the space and one of the
"p"'s missing, for those with the swear filter turned on.

You tell a friend, 'give me a tell with 'two hundred plat'
A friend tells you, '20p'

It's become painfully obvious since I started 4-boxing how what you type is
not always what it looks like on the other side, even if you master the
language you speak and are not intoxicated.

I repeat, this only happens when you have the bad words filter turned on.


Another example is capitalising what you write, I can't see any meaning with
it.
You tell your guild, 'gnome.'
Other people see you tell the guild, 'Gnome'

It's just one of those non-critical bugs that you learn to live with, get
used to and forget to consider them bugs after a while.

See you in there!

/Murmix, Murella, Murmini & Murezza,
Strawberry gnome family of Firiona Vie.

Family picture: http://members.chello.se/murmix/murpeople2.jpg

More about : oldest bug world

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 8:30:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

A bug I would love to see fixed something during my lifetime: ships
running without the dreaded 20k death bug while at sea or fighting a
shark onbord (how it fights while out of the water is beyond me).
--
When you hear the toilet flush, and hear the words "uh oh", it's already
too late. - by anonymous Mother in Austin, TX
To reply, replace digi.mon with phreaker.net
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 6:58:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

The last letter of my text is often cut-off for those viewing it. I've taken
to adding a space and a period after my typing just to make sure that it is
all seen. But it is not all the time and I'm not sure why it happens

Mike W.

How come it seems like it took no time at all to get this far in life,
yet it seems like it takes forever to get to Friday?


"N. Ziember" <nemigaziember@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:c7Nqe.1132$vS6.728@amstwist00...
>
> Hi group,
>
> reading the "bug shout..." thread it reminded me about what must be the
> oldest bug (or feature) in the game.
>
> When I started playing, in the summer of 2000, the marketplace was in the
> EC tunnel.
>
> The game very often cut off whitespaces and the last digit of numbers, but
> only when the swear filter is on.
>
>
> Fictional Example:
>
> You auction, WTS Sacrificial Dagger, only 400 pp.
>
> This would show up as "40p", with the last number, the space and one of
> the "p"'s missing, for those with the swear filter turned on.
>
> You tell a friend, 'give me a tell with 'two hundred plat'
> A friend tells you, '20p'
>
> It's become painfully obvious since I started 4-boxing how what you type
> is not always what it looks like on the other side, even if you master the
> language you speak and are not intoxicated.
>
> I repeat, this only happens when you have the bad words filter turned on.
>
>
> Another example is capitalising what you write, I can't see any meaning
> with it.
> You tell your guild, 'gnome.'
> Other people see you tell the guild, 'Gnome'
>
> It's just one of those non-critical bugs that you learn to live with, get
> used to and forget to consider them bugs after a while.
>
> See you in there!
>
> /Murmix, Murella, Murmini & Murezza,
> Strawberry gnome family of Firiona Vie.
>
> Family picture: http://members.chello.se/murmix/murpeople2.jpg
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:05:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Impmon" <impmon@digi.mon> wrote in message
news:8q9na1tkdeovp1cqb37cu2ndqe680pd665@4ax.com...
>A bug I would love to see fixed something during my lifetime: ships
> running without the dreaded 20k death bug while at sea or fighting a
> shark onbord (how it fights while out of the water is beyond me).
> --
> When you hear the toilet flush, and hear the words "uh oh", it's already
> too late. - by anonymous Mother in Austin, TX
> To reply, replace digi.mon with phreaker.net

How about buffs landing nanoseconds after your buff icon blinks it's final
blink, and the buff doesn't hold and you get the text:

Your Buff X spell has faded.
You are filled with the spell Buff X.
Your Buff X spell has faded.

I remember this happening to me since I started playing in Kunark days.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 8:04:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Mike W." <dropster69NO@SPAMhotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:f4Yqe.1679$kj5.847@trnddc03...
> The last letter of my text is often cut-off for those viewing it. I've
> taken to adding a space and a period after my typing just to make sure
> that it is all seen. But it is not all the time and I'm not sure why it
> happens
>

I have been experimenting more with this since I posted, and turned on the
badword filter on two characters in my fourbox army.


Those two characters, and only those two, have since that seen that
happening a lot. First letter becomes a capital one, and last letter with
the punctuation disappears.

The bad word filter is bad.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 9:26:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Impmon" <impmon@digi.mon> wrote in message
news:8q9na1tkdeovp1cqb37cu2ndqe680pd665@4ax.com...
| A bug I would love to see fixed something during my lifetime: ships
| running without the dreaded 20k death bug while at sea or fighting a
| shark onbord (how it fights while out of the water is beyond me).

Oh they did fix that bug, they deleted the ship ; )
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 8:15:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Mike W. wrote:
> The last letter of my text is often cut-off for those viewing it. I've taken
> to adding a space and a period after my typing just to make sure that it is
> all seen. But it is not all the time and I'm not sure why it happens

I used to get that when talking to one guy from Asia. I didn't know anyone else from there so i don't know if that was
relevant, but as his English was poor anyway, it was very frustrating. He'd type "so" when he meant sow or soe, and i'd
explain that i kept losing the last character and ask which one he wanted. "So", he'd reply. We were going through a lot
of zones in those days where the choice could be crucial. Oh well.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 9:20:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Shadow <na@na.na> wrote in
news:aiire.15797$F7.1843@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

> Mike W. wrote:
>> The last letter of my text is often cut-off for those viewing it.
>> I've taken to adding a space and a period after my typing just to
>> make sure that it is all seen. But it is not all the time and I'm not
>> sure why it happens
>
> I used to get that when talking to one guy from Asia. I didn't know
> anyone else from there so i don't know if that was relevant, but as
> his English was poor anyway, it was very frustrating. He'd type "so"
> when he meant sow or soe, and i'd explain that i kept losing the last
> character and ask which one he wanted. "So", he'd reply. We were going
> through a lot of zones in those days where the choice could be
> crucial. Oh well.
>

I've seen that issue off and on, and took to padding everything with a
period on the end and/or a space, and it seemed to take care of it. I
have not seen that issue as much for quite some time, although I do hear
others occasionally complain about it happening to what they type.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Soothsayer of 70 seasons

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 33 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 10:59:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

>A bug I would love to see fixed something during my lifetime: ships
>running without the dreaded 20k death bug while at sea or fighting a
>shark onbord (how it fights while out of the water is beyond me).

Official word is that not a bug but is to stop an "exploit", ie
stops you fighting fish where they can't reach you. Sounds like a
sensible tactic to me but anyway how wants to fight fish? No one by the
look of it! Be far better to make fish background critters you can't
fight and the few that can sensible come onto land (eg turtles, sirens
etc) mobs you can attack.
June 15, 2005 6:26:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On 14 Jun 2005 06:59:52 -0700, "BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk>
wrote:

>>A bug I would love to see fixed something during my lifetime: ships
>>running without the dreaded 20k death bug while at sea or fighting a
>>shark onbord (how it fights while out of the water is beyond me).
>
>Official word is that not a bug but is to stop an "exploit", ie
>stops you fighting fish where they can't reach you. Sounds like a
>sensible tactic to me but anyway how wants to fight fish? No one by the
>look of it! Be far better to make fish background critters you can't
>fight and the few that can sensible come onto land (eg turtles, sirens
>etc) mobs you can attack.

yes i have always wondered about that.. why call it an "exploit" after
all why shouldnt one be able to shoot a mob from afar so that it cant
reach you? to me it sounsd more sensible to let the mob run away if it
can.
--
"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
Groucho Marx.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 10:01:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

>>>A bug I would love to see fixed something during my lifetime: ships
>>>running without the dreaded 20k death bug while at sea or fighting a
>>>shark onboard (how it fights while out of the water is beyond me).

>>Official word is that not a bug but is to stop an "exploit", i.e.
>>stops you fighting fish where they can't reach you. Sounds like a
>>sensible tactic to me but anyway how wants to fight fish? No one by the
>>look of it! Be far better to make fish background critters you can't
>>fight and the few that can sensible come onto land (eg turtles, sirens
>>etc) mobs you can attack.

>Yes I have always wondered about that. Why call it an "exploit" after
>all why shouldn't one be able to shoot a mob from afar so that it cant
>reach you? To me it sounds more sensible to let the mob run away if it
>can.

Because SOE says if you can attack a mob, which can't harm you, it
would encourage powerleving. Mind you hitting from distance is the
sensible tactic for a mage, ie fire of loads of spells at range, once
the mob closes the distance root it, back of and start hitting it
again.

The thing about fighting in water that gets me is how it works. I mean
how does my mage ignite and fire a fire bolt while under water? How
come my electric bolt doesn't kill me and everything else near it?
The whole thing is ludicrous if you think about it.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 6:48:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in
news:1118837397.215272.19500@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
> The thing about fighting in water that gets me is how it works. I mean
> how does my mage ignite and fire a fire bolt while under water? How
> come my electric bolt doesn't kill me and everything else near it?
> The whole thing is ludicrous if you think about it.
>

It's magic...

I mean how does your mage just will a fire to ignite? The whole thing is
ludicrous if you think about it...

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Soothsayer of 70 seasons

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 34 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner
June 15, 2005 10:02:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

In article <1118837397.215272.19500@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
bombaymix@altavista.co.uk says...
> >>>A bug I would love to see fixed something during my lifetime: ships
> >>>running without the dreaded 20k death bug while at sea or fighting a
> >>>shark onboard (how it fights while out of the water is beyond me).
>
> >>Official word is that not a bug but is to stop an "exploit", i.e.
> >>stops you fighting fish where they can't reach you. Sounds like a
> >>sensible tactic to me but anyway how wants to fight fish? No one by the
> >>look of it! Be far better to make fish background critters you can't
> >>fight and the few that can sensible come onto land (eg turtles, sirens
> >>etc) mobs you can attack.
>
> >Yes I have always wondered about that. Why call it an "exploit" after
> >all why shouldn't one be able to shoot a mob from afar so that it cant
> >reach you? To me it sounds more sensible to let the mob run away if it
> >can.
>
> Because SOE says if you can attack a mob, which can't harm you, it
> would encourage powerleving. Mind you hitting from distance is the
> sensible tactic for a mage, ie fire of loads of spells at range, once
> the mob closes the distance root it, back of and start hitting it
> again.
>
> The thing about fighting in water that gets me is how it works. I mean
> how does my mage ignite and fire a fire bolt while under water? How
> come my electric bolt doesn't kill me and everything else near it?
> The whole thing is ludicrous if you think about it.

Its 'magic' ;) 

If you've already accepted that then complaining that its not realistic
is ludicrous.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 12:01:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On 14 Jun 2005 06:59:52 -0700 in
<1118757592.482012.78650@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, "BombayMix"
<bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> graced the world with this thought:

>Official word is that not a bug but is to stop an "exploit", ie
>stops you fighting fish where they can't reach you. Sounds like a
>sensible tactic

you probably wouldn't find it quite as sensible, if you were the one
being killed, and you had no way of fighting back... and it's not just
fish.
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 6:30:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

BombayMix wrote:
>>A bug I would love to see fixed something during my lifetime: ships
>>running without the dreaded 20k death bug while at sea or fighting a
>>shark onbord (how it fights while out of the water is beyond me).
>
>
> Official word is that not a bug but is to stop an "exploit", ie
> stops you fighting fish where they can't reach you. Sounds like a
> sensible tactic to me but anyway how wants to fight fish? No one by the
> look of it! Be far better to make fish background critters you can't
> fight and the few that can sensible come onto land (eg turtles, sirens
> etc) mobs you can attack.
>
I agree except having a few underwater zones where you could fight sharks etc would be good. I miss fighting sahuagin
and their pets!


I hated the underwater combat in eq1 but at least EB items were a little easier to get at low level. The seas are really
underutilised in eq2.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 6:08:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1118837397.215272.19500@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>>>A bug I would love to see fixed something during my lifetime: ships
>>>>running without the dreaded 20k death bug while at sea or fighting a
>>>>shark onboard (how it fights while out of the water is beyond me).
>
>>>Official word is that not a bug but is to stop an "exploit", i.e.
>>>stops you fighting fish where they can't reach you. Sounds like a
>>>sensible tactic to me but anyway how wants to fight fish? No one by the
>>>look of it! Be far better to make fish background critters you can't
>>>fight and the few that can sensible come onto land (eg turtles, sirens
>>>etc) mobs you can attack.
>
>>Yes I have always wondered about that. Why call it an "exploit" after
>>all why shouldn't one be able to shoot a mob from afar so that it cant
>>reach you? To me it sounds more sensible to let the mob run away if it
>>can.
>
> Because SOE says if you can attack a mob, which can't harm you, it
> would encourage powerleving. Mind you hitting from distance is the
> sensible tactic for a mage, ie fire of loads of spells at range, once
> the mob closes the distance root it, back of and start hitting it
> again.
>
> The thing about fighting in water that gets me is how it works. I mean
> how does my mage ignite and fire a fire bolt while under water?

its a phosphorous fireball?


lee

>How
> come my electric bolt doesn't kill me and everything else near it?
> The whole thing is ludicrous if you think about it.
>
!