Panasonic KX2624

I have a KX2624 24 pin printer that will not print after a recent update from
Win Me (OEM) to Win XP SP2. The pinter is connected via a parallel cable to a
Dell Deminsion 8100 on port 1ptl. I've used both IBM and Epson emulation
modes. The KX2624's buffer displays a count up to "data 100%" and the counts
down to 0% and the printer queue shows "failed". The printer works with
Windows; '98,Me,and 2000.
Actions taken:
1)Loaded the KX2624,IBM generic,and Epson 24pin drivers
2)Checked all connections and cables
3)The printer will work using Windows;'98,ME,and 2000
BIOS VERSION A12(?)more that 2yrs, old
512mb
30gb@40% free

--
ss

glow

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005

older printers very rarely work with XP it might be time to upgrade, I would
suggest going and getting a $70 canon, the quality is there compared to what
you have been using.

"ss" <ss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a KX2624 24 pin printer that will not print after a recent update
>from
> Win Me (OEM) to Win XP SP2. The pinter is connected via a parallel cable
> to a
> Dell Deminsion 8100 on port 1ptl. I've used both IBM and Epson emulation
> modes. The KX2624's buffer displays a count up to "data 100%" and the
> counts
> down to 0% and the printer queue shows "failed". The printer works with
> Windows; '98,Me,and 2000.
> Actions taken:
> 1)Loaded the KX2624,IBM generic,and Epson 24pin drivers
> 2)Checked all connections and cables
> 3)The printer will work using Windows;'98,ME,and 2000
> BIOS VERSION A12(?)more that 2yrs, old
> 512mb
> 30gb@40% free
>
> --
> ss

I need real help with the problem detailed below and not some jerk trying to
sell me printer

"
> "ss" <ss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a KX2624 24 pin printer that will not print after a recent update
> >from
> > Win Me (OEM) to Win XP SP2. The pinter is connected via a parallel cable
> > to a
> > Dell Deminsion 8100 on port 1ptl. I've used both IBM and Epson emulation
> > modes. The KX2624's buffer displays a count up to "data 100%" and the
> > counts
> > down to 0% and the printer queue shows "failed". The printer works with
> > Windows; '98,Me,and 2000.
> > Actions taken:
> > 1)Loaded the KX2624,IBM generic,and Epson 24pin drivers
> > 2)Checked all connections and cables
> > 3)The printer will work using Windows;'98,ME,and 2000
> > BIOS VERSION A12(?)more that 2yrs, old
> > 512mb
> > 30gb@40% free
> >
> > --
> > ss

this is a BIOS setting on the system

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313468&Product=winxp
Dell Dimension 8100 Computer Cannot Print After You Install Windows XP

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

> I need real help with the problem detailed below and not some jerk trying
> sell me printer
>
> "
> > "ss" <ss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have a KX2624 24 pin printer that will not print after a recent
update
> > >from
> > > Win Me (OEM) to Win XP SP2. The pinter is connected via a parallel
cable
> > > to a
> > > Dell Deminsion 8100 on port 1ptl. I've used both IBM and Epson
emulation
> > > modes. The KX2624's buffer displays a count up to "data 100%" and the
> > > counts
> > > down to 0% and the printer queue shows "failed". The printer works
with
> > > Windows; '98,Me,and 2000.
> > > Actions taken:
> > > 1)Loaded the KX2624,IBM generic,and Epson 24pin drivers
> > > 2)Checked all connections and cables
> > > 3)The printer will work using Windows;'98,ME,and 2000
> > > BIOS VERSION A12(?)more that 2yrs, old
> > > 512mb
> > > 30gb@40% free
> > >
> > > --
> > > ss

In your last post at 1016 pst on 2/15/05 the only line of your message that I
received reads "...this is a BIOS setting on the system" In your other post
at 1016 you indcate a reconfiguring of my system's BIOS. If you would please
explain how to reconfigure my system's BIOS or direct me to a site that can.
What part of the BIOS needs reconfiguring.And would this change effect my HP
895cse printer? Thanks.

"Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:

> this is a BIOS setting on the system
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313468&Product=winxp
> Dell Dimension 8100 Computer Cannot Print After You Install Windows XP
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team
> ;kbhowto]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> "ss" <ss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I need real help with the problem detailed below and not some jerk trying
> > sell me printer
> >
> > "
> > > "ss" <ss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> update
> cable
> emulation
> with

glow

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005

I'm not trying to sell you a printer, seriously very few older printers
actually work with XP.
"ss" <ss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need real help with the problem detailed below and not some jerk trying
> sell me printer
>
> "
>> "ss" <ss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a KX2624 24 pin printer that will not print after a recent update
>> >from
>> > Win Me (OEM) to Win XP SP2. The pinter is connected via a parallel
>> > cable
>> > to a
>> > Dell Deminsion 8100 on port 1ptl. I've used both IBM and Epson
>> > emulation
>> > modes. The KX2624's buffer displays a count up to "data 100%" and the
>> > counts
>> > down to 0% and the printer queue shows "failed". The printer works with
>> > Windows; '98,Me,and 2000.
>> > Actions taken:
>> > 1)Loaded the KX2624,IBM generic,and Epson 24pin drivers
>> > 2)Checked all connections and cables
>> > 3)The printer will work using Windows;'98,ME,and 2000
>> > BIOS VERSION A12(?)more that 2yrs, old
>> > 512mb
>> > 30gb@40% free
>> >
>> > --
>> > ss

glow

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005

http://panasonic.co.jp/pcc/products/en/printer/winxpcheck.htm

so did you mistype the model just for fun?

had you bothered checking the Panasonic website? if you had mistyped the
model number which I suspect as the other does not exist on the Panasonic
website. then the driver is included in XP

"ss" <ss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need real help with the problem detailed below and not some jerk trying
> sell me printer
>
> "
>> "ss" <ss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a KX2624 24 pin printer that will not print after a recent update
>> >from
>> > Win Me (OEM) to Win XP SP2. The pinter is connected via a parallel
>> > cable
>> > to a
>> > Dell Deminsion 8100 on port 1ptl. I've used both IBM and Epson
>> > emulation
>> > modes. The KX2624's buffer displays a count up to "data 100%" and the
>> > counts
>> > down to 0% and the printer queue shows "failed". The printer works with
>> > Windows; '98,Me,and 2000.
>> > Actions taken:
>> > 1)Loaded the KX2624,IBM generic,and Epson 24pin drivers
>> > 2)Checked all connections and cables
>> > 3)The printer will work using Windows;'98,ME,and 2000
>> > BIOS VERSION A12(?)more that 2yrs, old
>> > 512mb
>> > 30gb@40% free
>> >
>> > --
>> > ss

You need to reconfigure the BIOS on your machine

"Glow" <glowinggibbon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> http://panasonic.co.jp/pcc/products/en/printer/winxpcheck.htm
>
> so did you mistype the model just for fun?
>
> had you bothered checking the Panasonic website? if you had mistyped the
> model number which I suspect as the other does not exist on the Panasonic
> website. then the driver is included in XP
>
> "ss" <ss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I need real help with the problem detailed below and not some jerk trying
> > sell me printer
> >
> > "
> >> "ss" <ss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

No, I did mistype the model number because I'm not terribly observant. I have
checked the Panasonic website at 1604 cst and found a message stating "no
customer support options available. It may be an invalid model number. I have
loaded,deleted, and reloaded the KX-P2624 printer driver from the Microsoft
add printer wizard without a successful print. I mistakenly identified the
BIOS as a12 which it is not it is a06.

"Glow" wrote:

> http://panasonic.co.jp/pcc/products/en/printer/winxpcheck.htm
>
> so did you mistype the model just for fun?
>
> had you bothered checking the Panasonic website? if you had mistyped the
> model number which I suspect as the other does not exist on the Panasonic
> website. then the driver is included in XP
>
> "ss" <ss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I need real help with the problem detailed below and not some jerk trying
> > sell me printer
> >
> > "
> >> "ss" <ss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Dell Dimension 8100 Computer Cannot Print After You Install Windows XP
Article ID : 313468
Last Review : November 4, 2002
Revision : 1.0
On this page
SYMPTOMS
CAUSE
RESOLUTION
MORE INFORMATION

SYMPTOMS
After you install Windows XP on your Dell Dimension 8100 series computer,
your printer may not print. This issue may occur even though you were able
to correctly install the printer, and your print jobs appear to spool
correctly.
CAUSE
This issue can occur because of improper basic input/output system (BIOS)
communication with the LPT port.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, contact Dell to inquire about the availability of a
BIOS update or fix for this issue. For information about how to do so,
please view the following Dell Web site:
http://www.dell.com
Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find
technical support. This contact information may change without notice.
Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact
information.

WORKAROUND
To work around this issue, configure your LPT port to use EPP or PS/2
printing rather than ECP in the BIOS.

WARNING: If you are uncertain how to safely alter BIOS settings, please
consult your hardware documentation or contact Dell before you try to alter
the BIOS.
MORE INFORMATION
For information about how to contact Dell, click the appropriate article
number in the following list to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
Base:
65416 Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, A-K

60781 Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, L-P

60782 Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, Q-Z

----

APPLIES TO
.. Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
.. Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

> In your last post at 1016 pst on 2/15/05 the only line of your message
that I
> received reads "...this is a BIOS setting on the system" In your other
post
> at 1016 you indcate a reconfiguring of my system's BIOS. If you would
please
> explain how to reconfigure my system's BIOS or direct me to a site that
can.
> What part of the BIOS needs reconfiguring.And would this change effect my
HP
> 895cse printer? Thanks.
>
> "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:
>
> > this is a BIOS setting on the system

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313468&Product=winxp
> > Dell Dimension 8100 Computer Cannot Print After You Install Windows XP
> >
> > --
> > Alan Morris
> > Windows Printing Team
> > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> > ;kbhowto]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

rights.

Mr. Hostetler, Thank you for responding to my problem. I decided to use your
suggested workaround of switching the port from ECP to ps/2 and now both
printers work. I have decided at this time to not update my BIOS because of a
complete failure of a BIOS flash update of a Dell Latitude some years back
that turned a $266 laptop into so much plastic. Once again thanks. ss