Dragged my old rig from the dead - but CPU not quite up to standard.

StephenUK

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Hey all,

I built my computer about 4-5 years ago. The specs were:

-AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ (2.6GHZ)
-6GB DDR3 RAM
-Geforce 8 8500GT
-600GB HD

I overclocked the hell out of that 8500GT and it did fantastically for so long but it just cant cope with the more recent games. So I went out an bought an ATI HD 7770 which I think is on par with what I should be spending on a system as old as this and will hopefully keep it going another year or two.

Anyway, the type of games I would really like this rig to play are the likes of GTA 5, Dishonored etc etc. The only problem is, I just checked the requirements for Dishonored and it meets all the recommended apart from the CPU, which is a MINIMUM Dual core at 3ghz and recomended Quad core 2.4 ghz.

I really dont want to spend anymore money on this rig, otherwise I might as well just build a totally new computer. Do you think I will still be able to run it or will that 0.4ghz deficit make it unplayable (I don't mind toning down some settings)

coz amd athlons dont overclock that well. the 90nm 1s were lucky if they were stable at 200mhz oc many could only do 100-133mhz without a serious bump in volts and temps.
the max temp was only 62'c-65'c and the cpu often hit that on stock clocks and volts.
the 65nm parts would overclock by about 500mhz but because they used hi-K materials they were less efficient over all reducing the performance of the cpu by an average of 2%, so even with 500mhz bump they were lucky if they managed a 5% bump in performance. over the 90nm cpu... all i can recommend is that if your motherboard is socket 940 and your bios allows it. get a phenom 9 series (not phenom II)3.0 quad core off ebay for 40-80quid.