Fat Burger Please Help

dangerpowers

Distinguished
May 9, 2002
Is it possible to get my P4A 1.6ghz to OC to 2.4 or 2.5 using the retail hsf? That was my goal with the system I posted in the CPU forum. I guess i would have to try huh..well it'll be next week when I open the stuff. i cant wait!

NurseMSIC

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
I got mine to 2.2 (nearly) no worries, but the truth is that every single CPU is an individual, with individual defects and individual maximum settings.
Remember too that the higher you get, the closer and closer you are to the breaking point (at which your system won't run properly) and the less and less performance increase you'll get (it's an exponential curve), so i genuinely don't believe it's worth pushing the FSB to the absolute max.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=18108" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=18108</A>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Like nursemsic says, every CPU is different. You should be able to get to ~2.4-2.5, but who knows. You might only make it to 2.133 (133 bus), and you might make 2.8. It's tough to say. You can send me a PM, too. I'm likely to reply quicker that way.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
so my problems with my computer locking up or randomly restarting with win98se when i was ovcerclocked may be because i happened to get a p4 that doesn't like to overclock? that sucks. i will give my overlcock on last attempt as soon as i can find that abit bios that lets me increase the v-core. of course for increasing the bus to 125(2.01ghz), do i even need more that 1.625 vcore? and fatburger, what temps you running on your 1.6 with stock hsf?

repeat after me, we are all individuals!

FatBurger

Illustrious
More likely it's the motherboard or RAM, not the CPU itself. I don't remember my temps offhand (since I never check them), I'll have to look tonight.

dangerpowers

Distinguished
May 9, 2002
So how will i know if my 1.6A isn't a keeper? can i exchange it at Newegg? I've never dealt with their RMA procedure before.

I was bored today waiting for the boxes to come in and saw how high these people can push the northwood...like 200% or more with liquid nitrogen cooling..geez where did they get that.

FatBurger

Illustrious
That's a tough one. If you can't get up to at least 133 easily, then it's time to start figuring out which component it is. I'd say just cross that bridge when you come to it.

(I doubt Newegg would let you replace it for that reason, but when it's this long after release, I find it very doubtful that you'd get a poor OCer.)