Printer download.

I just bought an HP Officejet 7310xi all-in-one and while trying to install
it on my Sony Vaio, PCV-RX-550, I get a prompt telling me the file:
"SERSCAN.SYS" is needed and that I should insert my XP-Home CD-ROM to get the
file. My computer came with XP-Home on it and no CD-ROM. Where can I get this
file?

Point it at the i386 folder inside C:\Windows
--
Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing & Imaging)
www.coribright.com

"jb1017" <jb1017@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just bought an HP Officejet 7310xi all-in-one and while trying to install
> it on my Sony Vaio, PCV-RX-550, I get a prompt telling me the file:
> "SERSCAN.SYS" is needed and that I should insert my XP-Home CD-ROM to get
> the
> file. My computer came with XP-Home on it and no CD-ROM. Where can I get
> this
> file?

I ran a search of all files in both the C and D drives, also manually checked
the i386 folder. There is no Serscan.sys file in there. Is there any place I
can download the file off the internet?

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Point it at the i386 folder inside C:\Windows
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing & Imaging)
> www.coribright.com
>
> "jb1017" <jb1017@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just bought an HP Officejet 7310xi all-in-one and while trying to install
> > it on my Sony Vaio, PCV-RX-550, I get a prompt telling me the file:
> > "SERSCAN.SYS" is needed and that I should insert my XP-Home CD-ROM to get
> > the
> > file. My computer came with XP-Home on it and no CD-ROM. Where can I get
> > this
> > file?

The file is located inside the drivers.cab file in the I386 folder. With
Windows XP Pro, typically it is in C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\I386.

Your computer, if purchased new, should have come with some way of
accessing Windows install files. This could be a Windows CD (you ruled
that out in your case), some sort of "restore CD" or files in a
directory on the computer's HD. If the last, the directory might be
"hidden". Hopefully, a check in the computer's user manual, whether a
paper copy or on-line would tell you what provisions Sony made.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

:I ran a search of all files in both the C and D drives, also manually
checked
: the i386 folder. There is no Serscan.sys file in there. Is there any
place I
: can download the file off the internet?
:
: "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
:
: > Point it at the i386 folder inside C:\Windows
: > --
: > Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing & Imaging)
: > www.coribright.com
: >
: > "jb1017" <jb1017@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: > news:D404CF68-05AF-4256-A05B-D553F78F4384@microsoft.com...
: > >I just bought an HP Officejet 7310xi all-in-one and while trying to
install
: > > it on my Sony Vaio, PCV-RX-550, I get a prompt telling me the
file:
: > > "SERSCAN.SYS" is needed and that I should insert my XP-Home CD-ROM
to get
: > > the
: > > file. My computer came with XP-Home on it and no CD-ROM. Where can
I get
: > > this
: > > file?
: > >