Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

Is that game pretty fun? i never played it on console but i heard it was amazing, i might pick it up for pc when i see some reviews

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

If you've never played it before, it's probably worth exploring on PC. Hopefully they get patches out to address the full compliment of issues that the PC port is currently plagued with. On the other hand, it's hard to ignore the fact that the developers themselves stated months ago that this port would not be a seamless PC upgrade and that they lacked the knowledge to properly port the game to PC and were only doing this in the wake if massive community appeal for a PC version of the game.

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

Idk anything about the company that made the game, but im gonna bet money that they get the game patched and running perfect, i respect that they even attempt to port a primarily console series after people petitioned for it, you just have to love and respect small companies with good vision: CD project red im looking at you duder!

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Well, I don't know about good vision. Good attentiveness to their community though yes. The PC port as it stands now is a direct translation of the console version, with framerate slowdowns in the exact same spots as the console version, similarly capped at 30 fps with gameplay tied to framekeys and so on. It's nice to see that they made an effort to give people what they wanted, but that doesn't change the fact that as it stands now Dark Souls is the most half-assed PC-port attempt that I can even remember, at least as far as AAA titles go. But, the developer was completely transparent about their lack of knowledge in the area and they openly advertised that people should not buy the PC version expecting a completely revitalized experience. Perhaps they didn't mention that the game would still be entirely dependent on controller (as it stands it's almost unplayable with mouse and keyboard which is not a big deal to me, but to many PC fans this is an issue). We'll see what happens in the months to come with this port though.

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

Ya i guess i more respect them for being open about it and admitting that it will be flawed, from what ive seen and heard tho the company cares about their fans, that i like, most developers would just push out DLC and not fix the game, idk if anyone remembers but CD project red made great patches before they put out DLC and even then it was free, we need more developers like that

tjosborne

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
its definitely worth picking up. i just bought it for pc last night, i already had it for ps3. its just funny because the game prompts you to hit "a" to pick up items and it means on the xbox controller. little distracting but whatever, id rather play it on my pc than ps3.