User cannot print to OfficeJet printer

February 14, 2005 10:20:43 PM

Hi --

I have a Windows XP Pro SP2 PC on a P2P LAN. The PC is also running Norton
Antivirus 2005.

Also on this LAN are several networked printers, one of them being a new HP
OfficeJet 7310xi All-In-One printer. This printer is connected directly to
the LAN and provides networked printing and scanning to the PCs on the LAN.
I have two Windows 2000 Pro PCs and a Mac OS X printing and scanning to that
OfficeJet without any problems.

I installed all the drivers and software for this OfficeJet printer on the
Windows XP PC, using the CD that came with the unit. The installation
completed without error.

From the XP box, I can print to the OfficeJet as long as I'm logged as the
local administrator. When the user logs in with her user account, she is
unable to print. Her jobs get stuck in the queue, labeled "Error -
Printing."

I added this user to the local Power Users group, to no avail.

I found sporadic Print errors in the Event Log, with Event ID 6161, with the
error "Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 67 (0x43)."

I spent over an hour in an online chat with HP earlier today, trying to
solve this problem. Not only did we get nowhere, but I got the definite
impression that the tech wasn't telling me something. His suggestions ranged
from changing the permissions of all files in Windows\System32 to installing
a DeskJet 550c driver for this printer.

The Windows XP PC can print to every other networked printer on the LAN (one
of them is an Apple LaserWriter) using the user's account. And like I
mentioned, I can print to that OfficeJet printer using the local
administrator account.

The two Windows 2000 PCs can also print to that OfficeJet printer without a
problem -- but those users are local administrators (at least for now).

Can anyone help me solve this? Am I dealing with HP software that won't run
on a normal user account? (Windows XP did not complain about uncertified
drivers.)

I am trying to add a Small Business Server to this LAN, which would make
those local administrators on the Windows 2000 boxes also just regular
users. Will I wind up with this same problem on all the Windows boxes?

Thanks,
CL
February 15, 2005 10:23:08 PM

I have a HP 4in1 here, and although an earlier model I found it is better to
plug it in and allow the PC (installed with XP), to recognise and install it
rather than using the disc.
"Charles Lavin" <x@x.x> wrote in message
news:o KlzeRvEFHA.2052@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi --
>
> I have a Windows XP Pro SP2 PC on a P2P LAN. The PC is also running Norton
> Antivirus 2005.
>
> Also on this LAN are several networked printers, one of them being a new
> HP OfficeJet 7310xi All-In-One printer. This printer is connected directly
> to the LAN and provides networked printing and scanning to the PCs on the
> LAN. I have two Windows 2000 Pro PCs and a Mac OS X printing and scanning
> to that OfficeJet without any problems.
>
> I installed all the drivers and software for this OfficeJet printer on the
> Windows XP PC, using the CD that came with the unit. The installation
> completed without error.
>
> From the XP box, I can print to the OfficeJet as long as I'm logged as the
> local administrator. When the user logs in with her user account, she is
> unable to print. Her jobs get stuck in the queue, labeled "Error -
> Printing."
>
> I added this user to the local Power Users group, to no avail.
>
> I found sporadic Print errors in the Event Log, with Event ID 6161, with
> the error "Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 67 (0x43)."
>
> I spent over an hour in an online chat with HP earlier today, trying to
> solve this problem. Not only did we get nowhere, but I got the definite
> impression that the tech wasn't telling me something. His suggestions
> ranged from changing the permissions of all files in Windows\System32 to
> installing a DeskJet 550c driver for this printer.
>
> The Windows XP PC can print to every other networked printer on the LAN
> (one of them is an Apple LaserWriter) using the user's account. And like I
> mentioned, I can print to that OfficeJet printer using the local
> administrator account.
>
> The two Windows 2000 PCs can also print to that OfficeJet printer without
> a problem -- but those users are local administrators (at least for now).
>
> Can anyone help me solve this? Am I dealing with HP software that won't
> run on a normal user account? (Windows XP did not complain about
> uncertified drivers.)
>
> I am trying to add a Small Business Server to this LAN, which would make
> those local administrators on the Windows 2000 boxes also just regular
> users. Will I wind up with this same problem on all the Windows boxes?
>
> Thanks,
> CL

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 10:23:09 PM

Hi --

The printer is attached to the network, not the PC. The PC will never see
it.

CL

"Glow" <glowinggibbon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a HP 4in1 here, and although an earlier model I found it is better
>to plug it in and allow the PC (installed with XP), to recognise and
>install it rather than using the disc.
> "Charles Lavin" <x@x.x> wrote in message
> news:o KlzeRvEFHA.2052@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Hi --
>>
>> I have a Windows XP Pro SP2 PC on a P2P LAN. The PC is also running
>> Norton Antivirus 2005.
>>
>> Also on this LAN are several networked printers, one of them being a new
>> HP OfficeJet 7310xi All-In-One printer. This printer is connected
>> directly to the LAN and provides networked printing and scanning to the
>> PCs on the LAN. I have two Windows 2000 Pro PCs and a Mac OS X printing
>> and scanning to that OfficeJet without any problems.
>>
>> I installed all the drivers and software for this OfficeJet printer on
>> the Windows XP PC, using the CD that came with the unit. The installation
>> completed without error.
>>
>> From the XP box, I can print to the OfficeJet as long as I'm logged as
>> the local administrator. When the user logs in with her user account, she
>> is unable to print. Her jobs get stuck in the queue, labeled "Error -
>> Printing."
>>
>> I added this user to the local Power Users group, to no avail.
>>
>> I found sporadic Print errors in the Event Log, with Event ID 6161, with
>> the error "Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 67 (0x43)."
>>
>> I spent over an hour in an online chat with HP earlier today, trying to
>> solve this problem. Not only did we get nowhere, but I got the definite
>> impression that the tech wasn't telling me something. His suggestions
>> ranged from changing the permissions of all files in Windows\System32 to
>> installing a DeskJet 550c driver for this printer.
>>
>> The Windows XP PC can print to every other networked printer on the LAN
>> (one of them is an Apple LaserWriter) using the user's account. And like
>> I mentioned, I can print to that OfficeJet printer using the local
>> administrator account.
>>
>> The two Windows 2000 PCs can also print to that OfficeJet printer without
>> a problem -- but those users are local administrators (at least for now).
>>
>> Can anyone help me solve this? Am I dealing with HP software that won't
>> run on a normal user account? (Windows XP did not complain about
>> uncertified drivers.)
>>
>> I am trying to add a Small Business Server to this LAN, which would make
>> those local administrators on the Windows 2000 boxes also just regular
>> users. Will I wind up with this same problem on all the Windows boxes?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> CL

Related resources
February 15, 2005 10:31:19 PM

Oh with it on a LAN, just go to your add printers wizard to install it.

"Glow" <glowinggibbon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a HP 4in1 here, and although an earlier model I found it is better
>to plug it in and allow the PC (installed with XP), to recognise and
>install it rather than using the disc.
> "Charles Lavin" <x@x.x> wrote in message
> news:o KlzeRvEFHA.2052@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Hi --
>>
>> I have a Windows XP Pro SP2 PC on a P2P LAN. The PC is also running
>> Norton Antivirus 2005.
>>
>> Also on this LAN are several networked printers, one of them being a new
>> HP OfficeJet 7310xi All-In-One printer. This printer is connected
>> directly to the LAN and provides networked printing and scanning to the
>> PCs on the LAN. I have two Windows 2000 Pro PCs and a Mac OS X printing
>> and scanning to that OfficeJet without any problems.
>>
>> I installed all the drivers and software for this OfficeJet printer on
>> the Windows XP PC, using the CD that came with the unit. The installation
>> completed without error.
>>
>> From the XP box, I can print to the OfficeJet as long as I'm logged as
>> the local administrator. When the user logs in with her user account, she
>> is unable to print. Her jobs get stuck in the queue, labeled "Error -
>> Printing."
>>
>> I added this user to the local Power Users group, to no avail.
>>
>> I found sporadic Print errors in the Event Log, with Event ID 6161, with
>> the error "Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 67 (0x43)."
>>
>> I spent over an hour in an online chat with HP earlier today, trying to
>> solve this problem. Not only did we get nowhere, but I got the definite
>> impression that the tech wasn't telling me something. His suggestions
>> ranged from changing the permissions of all files in Windows\System32 to
>> installing a DeskJet 550c driver for this printer.
>>
>> The Windows XP PC can print to every other networked printer on the LAN
>> (one of them is an Apple LaserWriter) using the user's account. And like
>> I mentioned, I can print to that OfficeJet printer using the local
>> administrator account.
>>
>> The two Windows 2000 PCs can also print to that OfficeJet printer without
>> a problem -- but those users are local administrators (at least for now).
>>
>> Can anyone help me solve this? Am I dealing with HP software that won't
>> run on a normal user account? (Windows XP did not complain about
>> uncertified drivers.)
>>
>> I am trying to add a Small Business Server to this LAN, which would make
>> those local administrators on the Windows 2000 boxes also just regular
>> users. Will I wind up with this same problem on all the Windows boxes?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> CL

February 16, 2005 7:38:40 PM

read the other post
> Hi --
>
> The printer is attached to the network, not the PC. The PC will never see
> it.
>
> CL
>
> "Glow" <glowinggibbon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have a HP 4in1 here, and although an earlier model I found it is better
>>to plug it in and allow the PC (installed with XP), to recognise and
>>install it rather than using the disc.
>> "Charles Lavin" <x@x.x> wrote in message
>> news:o KlzeRvEFHA.2052@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi --
>>>
>>> I have a Windows XP Pro SP2 PC on a P2P LAN. The PC is also running
>>> Norton Antivirus 2005.
>>>
>>> Also on this LAN are several networked printers, one of them being a new
>>> HP OfficeJet 7310xi All-In-One printer. This printer is connected
>>> directly to the LAN and provides networked printing and scanning to the
>>> PCs on the LAN. I have two Windows 2000 Pro PCs and a Mac OS X printing
>>> and scanning to that OfficeJet without any problems.
>>>
>>> I installed all the drivers and software for this OfficeJet printer on
>>> the Windows XP PC, using the CD that came with the unit. The
>>> installation completed without error.
>>>
>>> From the XP box, I can print to the OfficeJet as long as I'm logged as
>>> the local administrator. When the user logs in with her user account,
>>> she is unable to print. Her jobs get stuck in the queue, labeled
>>> "Error - Printing."
>>>
>>> I added this user to the local Power Users group, to no avail.
>>>
>>> I found sporadic Print errors in the Event Log, with Event ID 6161, with
>>> the error "Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 67 (0x43)."
>>>
>>> I spent over an hour in an online chat with HP earlier today, trying to
>>> solve this problem. Not only did we get nowhere, but I got the definite
>>> impression that the tech wasn't telling me something. His suggestions
>>> ranged from changing the permissions of all files in Windows\System32 to
>>> installing a DeskJet 550c driver for this printer.
>>>
>>> The Windows XP PC can print to every other networked printer on the LAN
>>> (one of them is an Apple LaserWriter) using the user's account. And like
>>> I mentioned, I can print to that OfficeJet printer using the local
>>> administrator account.
>>>
>>> The two Windows 2000 PCs can also print to that OfficeJet printer
>>> without a problem -- but those users are local administrators (at least
>>> for now).
>>>
>>> Can anyone help me solve this? Am I dealing with HP software that won't
>>> run on a normal user account? (Windows XP did not complain about
>>> uncertified drivers.)
>>>
>>> I am trying to add a Small Business Server to this LAN, which would make
>>> those local administrators on the Windows 2000 boxes also just regular
>>> users. Will I wind up with this same problem on all the Windows boxes?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> CL

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 4:40:14 AM

The drivers are all installed.

I can print to the printer as an administrator.

I can't print to it any other way.

None of the other printers on the network have this problem.

!