How to Enable Print Job Notification in XP?

Have an Active Directory with Windows 2000 servers. One of the 2000 servers
is a print server. Starting to install XP (with SP2) on new workstations.
Print job notificatons are NOT appearing on the XP machines when the job is
printed. The 2000 workstations do not have this problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Enable the File and Printer Sharing ports on the SP2 clients.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"D Chand" <d.chand@unsw.edu.au> wrote in message
> Have an Active Directory with Windows 2000 servers. One of the 2000
servers
> is a print server. Starting to install XP (with SP2) on new workstations.
> Print job notificatons are NOT appearing on the XP machines when the job
is
> printed. The 2000 workstations do not have this problem.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance.

In the Windows Firewall settings,

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
;kbhowto]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

"D Chand" <d.chand@unsw.edu.au> wrote in message
> Have an Active Directory with Windows 2000 servers. One of the 2000
servers
> is a print server. Starting to install XP (with SP2) on new workstations.
> Print job notificatons are NOT appearing on the XP machines when the job
is
> printed. The 2000 workstations do not have this problem.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Alan,

Thanks for that. Enabling the File and print sharing in the Exceptions for
the Firewall did not help.

But Turning the firewall off did the trick. I foresee the firewall creating
more headaches for later and we do not need firewalls on the desktops as we
have ACL on our perimeter.

Thanks again

"Alan Morris(MSFT)" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In the Windows Firewall settings,
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team
> ;kbhowto]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

rights.

> "D Chand" <d.chand@unsw.edu.au> wrote in message
> > Have an Active Directory with Windows 2000 servers. One of the 2000
> servers
> > is a print server. Starting to install XP (with SP2) on new
workstations.
> > Print job notificatons are NOT appearing on the XP machines when the job
> is
> > printed. The 2000 workstations do not have this problem.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

Is there a way to enable print notifications even with the firewall enabled?

I can't seem to get them to show up with or without the firewall.
--
Lawrence Wong