Conehead

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
I just bought a Volcano 7+ for my T-bird 850mhz (soon to be Xp 1800). When I put it in, the temperature sky rockets up to over 100 degrees Celcius!! What is going on??! Do I have a faulty heatsink or did I miss something when installing it?? When I take it out and replace it with my orb, the temp goes back down to about 45 degrees...please help!
any suggestions are welcome!
Thanks

"If there's grass on the field...play ball!!"

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
sure you put it the right way? people tend to screw up by installing it the wrong way and get bad or no contact at all. never happened to me so no clue, not into trying it out.

<font color=red>We born naked and screaming, then it gets worse.</font color=red>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
100°C is over the limit set by AMD...you might have a record on your hands there! :wink:
hmm....things to check.
make sure you took the plastic strip off of the thermal pad (if it had one, and if you are using that). second, make sure that the heatsink is installed using the socketA kit, and that you put the clip in the right way...
also make sure that the heatsink is sitting FLAT on the cpu...not tweaked at all.
make sure the fan is spinning.
that is REALLY high.
i think the only way it could get that high is if you are pumping hot air in there, or if it is sitting wrong on the core.
double check it, with the motherboard on an antistatic pad on a table, so that you can see if the heatsink is on right.
i hope you can figure it out...good luck!

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
true, did hear people leaving the tape on the bottom of the heatsink

<font color=red>We born naked and screaming, then it gets worse.</font color=red>

Conehead

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
There doesn't seem to be a plastic strip covering the heatsink. I took the board out of the case to try it out, same result. The heatsink seems to be resting flat on the cpu. The air is definitly blowing out and not in. I did use the Socket A clips. I'm pretty sure the contact is made correctly because when I take the HS off, the thermal paste I put on the cpu rubs off on the HS.
Any more suggestions?? I think I'll bring it back to the computer store I bought it from yesterday...hopefully they'll be able to figure it out. Or maybe I have a bad HSF...it that is possible...

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
hmm...i guess that taking it to them and seeing what they say would be a good idea.
i cant understand how it would be a bad heatsink.
heh.
unless there is some physical defect...
the air is blowing out, not in?
that is odd.
i would think that the air would be going into the heatsink, as in the fan is blowing down into the heatsink.
but i dunno...never seen a v7+ in person! :wink:
but even if the fan was blowing out drawing air out of the heatsink, i think it would keep the cpu WAYYY cooler than that.
maybe the base of the heatsink is not flat?
you can check that with a straitedge.

-DAvid

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
Before you go back to the store, flip the fan over. Those fans NEED to blow air down on the chip, not away (BIG difference in temps, heh, heh). Also, what is the RPM of the fan on that HS? (If you don't know, and the fan is connected to the board MBM 5.0 is a very accurate probing app.)

<font color=orange> You can lead the whores to salad, but you can't make them toss </font color=orange>

Conehead

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
My mistake...the fan was blowing towards the heatsink and not out...I figured out what the problem was...turned out that the temperature sensor under my cpu was a bit too low and didn't touch the cpu...it was reading the temp of the air underneath (probably) and gave readings of over 80 degrees Celcius! So what I did is take it off, lift the temp sensor a bit, put some Arctic Silver on, put the Volcano 7+ on and voila! Temps are now back down to about 35 degrees idle...hehe...my bad! Thanks for the advice anyways! I knew I wasn't stupid! I know how to put a god damn heatsink on! hehe...

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
hmm..that is crazy that the air under there gets so hot...
never thought it could.
if it does get that hot, then wouldnt it effect the readings from the thermal probe? i mean that probe doesnt just get the temp from the one part that touches the cpu, it takes the temp from its (the probe) entire surface. am i correct in thinking this? :eek:
maybe we need to figure out how to get air flowing under the cpu...lol...drop the temps even more! :smile:

-DAvid

Conehead

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
I don't know if it was the air under the cpu or not...but I was getting temp readings of over 100 degrees celcius...after I lifted the sensor a notch, I put my cpu back with the Volcano 7+ and everything was back to normal...mid 30's. Hmmm, airflow underneath the cpu...sounds like a challenge to me! hehe...almost impossible though...hmmm, do I smell a new cpu socket!!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
hehe....maybe i will try it someday with an old motherboard, like a socket7, and try it with a k6-2. see what i can do! hehe...
just as an experiment...

-DAvid