Sign in with
Your question

FSB / Voltages / Multipliers For Abit AT7 Max

Last response: in Overclocking
May 12, 2002 5:19:43 AM

I'm a newb in the overclocking world, but I'm taking a BIG stab at it and am very confused...

The relevant parts of my system:
The new abit at7 max botherboard (damn alot of bios settings)
AMD 2100+ XP processor
OCZ PC3200 RAM
Koolance PC2-C mid tower water cooling system with a cpu-200 and video blocks

So I read about everyone unlocking their processor but it doesn't seem like its the case by using SoftMenuIII cause you can adjust the FSB, timings, multiplers and voltages.

The following link has pictures of the bios screen:
http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/motherboards/abit_a...

Question: Is this like fake overclocking or something?

I've tried different settings and certainly have made the computer not POST and also POST but crash during windows startup....so this leads me to the next question.

Question: In other BIOS's, they simply don't let you change the values unless the chip is unlocked?

For my own experiments, I have only been able to get the FSB up to 145 (4:2:1) and have WinXP still boot. If I go to 150, WinXP crashes with STOP error of 0x0000008E with timings of either 4:2:1/5:2:1. I'm hoping if I figure all this stuff out, I too will be able to get some awesome results!

I know the multiplier is simply: Multipler * FSB = ChipMHZ. But what about the voltages, how do they fit in? There's the core, I/O and DDR voltages. I have plenty of room with heat by using the water cooling system so I'm not afraid to play around, but I want to understand. So the real question here is:

Question: By increasing the voltages, does it forcefully give the thing (core,IO,DDR) more volts?

Now on to the DRAM BIOS screen (the second picture in the above link). I'm very confused on this screen and have the following questions

DRAM Questions:
1) What's the difference between "DRAM Frequency" and "DRAM Clock".
2) If you increase the FSB, do you have to adjust numbers in the DRAM screen to go along with the FSB changes?
3) What the heck is all that other 3T, 6T stuff?
4) Is there a site that explains all this?

Hehe, i'll save my video bios questions for another day.

So if anyone knows sites out there that have comprehensive explainations about how all these things work together, that would be awesome.

A newb gives much thanks in advance for bestowing your knowledge upon me :) 

azbok
May 13, 2002 1:53:22 PM

In answer to two of my own questions

1) What's the difference between "DRAM Frequency" and "DRAM Clock".

Frequency is that clock speed its at NOW, and the DRAM Clock is simply the method of changing it. Its just weird they have different names for the same thing.

2) If you increase the FSB, do you have to adjust numbers in the DRAM screen to go along with the FSB changes?

I have noticed that more aggressive memory settings forces me to run at a lower FSB, so I assume the opposite is true (which I will test out tonite) with much less aggressive memory settings lets you run at a higher FSB.
!