Verizon Blocks Calls?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
March 23, 2005 2:13:59 AM

Can anyone tell me why Verizon Wireless blocks all calls to the Dominican
Republic (area code 809)? It is OK to call Cuba but not the DO where there
is a Verizon office in every town. All Verizon will say is that they block
the calls.
Thanks - Allen

More about : verizon blocks calls

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 23, 2005 2:14:00 AM

bushman wrote:
> Can anyone tell me why Verizon Wireless blocks all calls to the Dominican
> Republic (area code 809)?

Lots of scams used to, and may still, originate from that area code, that ended
up costing victims tons of money, and US regulatory agencies can't do anything
to perps outside the US.

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 23, 2005 3:23:48 AM

Assuming what you say is correct.. I think there were a lot of shady things
going on with that area code at one time.. lots of people were encouraged to
call that area code and then were charged huge fees... they disputed the
fees and the phone companies got the shaft. Or was that the Virgin Islands?

"bushman" <none@none.net> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me why Verizon Wireless blocks all calls to the Dominican
> Republic (area code 809)? It is OK to call Cuba but not the DO where there
> is a Verizon office in every town. All Verizon will say is that they block
> the calls.
> Thanks - Allen

a b F Wireless
March 23, 2005 3:26:06 AM

here we go... from scambusters.org:

"The "809" scam has many permutations but they all involve a message to you
(either by email, phone or pager) that you immediately call or fax a number
in the "809" area code or some other area code in the Caribbean. Examples of
why you should call or fax the phone number include avoiding litigation,
receiving information about someone who has been arrested or died, winning a
wonderful prize, or getting a job.

"The "809" area code is in the Caribbean, yet most people are not aware that
they are making an international call when they dial the "809" area code,
since you simply dial 1-809-xxx-xxxx to make the call. No international
codes are required.

"The problem comes from the fact that some phone numbers in the "809" area
code are "pay-per-call" numbers (such as 900 numbers in the US) - but there
are no legal requirements that callers be informed that they are being
charged extra in the Caribbean. When you return one of these "pay-per-call"
809 calls, the scamsters try to keep you on the phone as long as possible,
and you may be charged very high rates for the call, reportedly up to $25
per minute.

"It is difficult to get credit for these charges if you do get scammed since
you did make the call, and resolving the problem involves getting credit
from international phone companies.

"Since there are now many area codes in the Caribbean, this scam is no
longer confined to just the 809 area code. "

"bushman" <none@none.net> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me why Verizon Wireless blocks all calls to the Dominican
> Republic (area code 809)? It is OK to call Cuba but not the DO where there
> is a Verizon office in every town. All Verizon will say is that they block
> the calls.
> Thanks - Allen

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 23, 2005 8:52:41 AM

Steve Sobol wrote:
> bushman wrote:
>
>> Can anyone tell me why Verizon Wireless blocks all calls to the Dominican
>> Republic (area code 809)?
>
> Lots of scams used to, and may still, originate from that area code,
> that ended up costing victims tons of money, and US regulatory agencies
> can't do anything to perps outside the US.

If you refuse to pay for these calls, who is going to come after you?
The phone company in the Caribbean? Or does your long distance provider
act as the enforcer?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 23, 2005 8:52:42 AM

I believe your local phone company will be the enforcer since they have been
given the billing information.

"CharlesH" <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message
> Steve Sobol wrote:
> > bushman wrote:
> >
> >> Can anyone tell me why Verizon Wireless blocks all calls to the
Dominican
> >> Republic (area code 809)?
> >
> > Lots of scams used to, and may still, originate from that area code,
> > that ended up costing victims tons of money, and US regulatory agencies
> > can't do anything to perps outside the US.
>
> If you refuse to pay for these calls, who is going to come after you?
> The phone company in the Caribbean? Or does your long distance provider
> act as the enforcer?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 23, 2005 10:05:50 AM

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 05:52:41 GMT, CharlesH <hoch@exemplary.invalid>
wrote:

>If you refuse to pay for these calls, who is going to come after you?

Your LD company.

>The phone company in the Caribbean? Or does your long distance provider
>act as the enforcer?

Your LD company.
a b F Wireless
March 23, 2005 1:15:06 PM

CharlesH wrote:

> If you refuse to pay for these calls, who is going to come after you?
> The phone company in the Caribbean?

*Your* phone company, and for the reasons outlined elsewhere in this thread, it
can be difficult to dispute and/or resolve the charges.

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
March 23, 2005 1:19:34 PM

Gary Fead wrote:

>>>Lots of scams used to, and may still, originate from that area code,
>>>that ended up costing victims tons of money, and US regulatory agencies
>>>can't do anything to perps outside the US.
>>
>>If you refuse to pay for these calls, who is going to come after you?
>>The phone company in the Caribbean? Or does your long distance provider
>>act as the enforcer?

The local phone company does it as a "courtesy" to the other carrier and
doesn't require you to pay.

When last months Verizon landline bill came there was a separate page
for some company I had never heard of. Verizon had the statement "this
portion of your bill is provided as a service to xxxxx" You will not be
disconnected for failure to pay...the service provider may pursue
collections independently"

Then a contact number was given. I called the number and got a recording
which stated all business is handled by "XYZ" and we will transfer you
to them. They said the $5+ charge was for a 1.75 minute collect call
placed to my number from a pay phone in NJ. I replied no one was home at
the listed time and my answering machine does not agree to accept
charges. They immediately said a credit would be issued.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 23, 2005 1:19:35 PM

George wrote:

> The local phone company does it as a "courtesy" to the other carrier and
> doesn't require you to pay.

I'm not absolutely sure that's true. May be true with some phone companies. Not
sure about all of them...

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 24, 2005 5:32:34 AM

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:15:55 -0800, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:

>George wrote:
>
>> The local phone company does it as a "courtesy" to the other carrier and
>> doesn't require you to pay.
>
>I'm not absolutely sure that's true. May be true with some phone companies. Not
>sure about all of them...

It depends on state tariffs. In most cases, you can contest and
refuse to pay a non-regulated charge (long distance, internet, etc),
and they cannot cut your regulated services off. The most they
could/would do is turn you over to a collection agency, but I don't
see scammers turning to legit collection agencies to collect debts
incurred by fraudulent means.

And George is correct AFAIK. Both BellSouth and VZ (not VZW, folks)
do the 3rd party billings as a courtesy or under contract to the 3rd
party, but due to tariff restrictions, they are very limited in the
actions they can take to collect these non-regulated charges.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 24, 2005 8:46:09 AM

Steve Sobol wrote:
> CharlesH wrote:
>
>> If you refuse to pay for these calls, who is going to come after you?
>> The phone company in the Caribbean?
>
> *Your* phone company, and for the reasons outlined elsewhere in this
> thread, it can be difficult to dispute and/or resolve the charges.

I understand that foreign companies are not bound by U.S. law. So does
the argument from the LD company go something along the lines: In your
agreement with us, you have agreed, for all calls made from your phone,
to pay us whatever the terminating provider charges us. If they charge
us $5000/min for your call, that's what you owe us. It's your problem,
not ours. We pay them whatever they bill us, and then we collect from you.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 24, 2005 1:42:06 PM

That sounds about right to me. However if a phone company has enough
of a problem collecting from their customers for calls through a certain
foreign company, I can see their right to refuse to do business with
that company. If citizens of that country have poor telephone service
because of it, that is their problem.
March 24, 2005 4:45:47 PM

After 7 emails from me VW finaly gave a straight answer "Due to high
incidents of fraud, there are some countries that customers are not able to
call" they even suggested I use a calling card. Why that was so hard for
them to come out and say I don't understand.
Thanks for the replies. I will stay subscribed to this NG, interesting stuff
here.
- Allen
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 24, 2005 4:45:48 PM

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:45:47 GMT, "bushman" <none@none.net> wrote:

>After 7 emails from me VW finaly gave a straight answer "Due to high
>incidents of fraud, there are some countries that customers are not able to
>call" they even suggested I use a calling card. Why that was so hard for
>them to come out and say I don't understand.

Put simply, it just took you that many tries to get to someone who
knew the right answer.
March 26, 2005 1:48:11 AM

Yep. Happened to me with AT&T some years ago.

They refused to credit the bill, either.

Dean
__________________________________
"Evan Platt" <evan@TheObvious.espphotography.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 05:52:41 GMT, CharlesH <hoch@exemplary.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>If you refuse to pay for these calls, who is going to come after you?
>
> Your LD company.
>
>>The phone company in the Caribbean? Or does your long distance provider
>>act as the enforcer?
>
> Your LD company.
> --
> To reply, remove TheObvious from my e-mail address.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 28, 2005 6:20:31 AM

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 02:32:34 -0500, The Ghost of General Lee
<ghost@general.lee> chose to add this to the great equation of life, the
universe, and everything:

>And George is correct AFAIK. Both BellSouth and VZ (not VZW, folks)
>do the 3rd party billings as a courtesy or under contract to the 3rd
>party, but due to tariff restrictions, they are very limited in the
>actions they can take to collect these non-regulated charges.

Heh. My SBC local service bill says that about my long distance service.
The long distance carrier? SBC.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"If a huge mutant man-eating lobster were to come lunging out of the surf,
waving the Claws of Doom, I guarantee that its first victim would be a
middle-aged woman, because while everybody else was sprinting away in
terror, she would stop to put on her sarong." - Dave Barry
!