Computer Freezes(Need Help)

HardwareTwitch

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
I have been facing problem with my desktop pc from past 2-3 weeks.
My pc completely freezes/hangs and stop responding and it happens mostly when i am playing games on it.
On the other side when i do general purpose work i hadn't faced such problem.

So i think it may be game related.

Other options which i came to me is some kind of-
-virus
-hardware error
-some unknown error

Therefore, If someone has faced such random and frequent freezing/hanging of pc,Please do help me out on this one or anyone who can give guidance on how to rectify this error.

(Note- Also i wud like to add that if this section is not meant for this topic,then please guide me where i could post this kind of requests)
Thanks in advance.

HardwareTwitch

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

Ok i'll post u the memory test result as soon as i am done with it.

I suppose you got not errors?

Okay then. Next you should check temperatures.

In order to do that, you'll need three programs:

1. HWMonitor - www.cpuid.com
2. Furmark - http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
3. Prime95 - http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205

When you downloaded them, turn on HWMonitor, it will display temperatures. Find CPU and GPU on it. Then, turn on FurMark - do burn-in test and Prime95 - In-Place Large FFTs test.

Then, just sit back and looks at HWMonitor in 5 minutes, CPU and GPU should reach their maximum temperature. GPU should be below 80°C while CPU should be below 70°C.

And for the last time I ask you: post your PC specs. If it isn't temperature issue, I'll need to know them to help you further.

HardwareTwitch

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

Sorry i didnt read the spec line in hurry, here are my pc details
(Note- my pc is not overclocked)
processor: intel pentium 4 631 cedar mil cpu 3.00Ghz
mainboard: intel D945GCCR
ram: ddr2 1.5gb(333 Mhz)
graphic card: 7300se/7200gs

If you need any more pc spec details fell free to ask, i'll reply with it as soon as possible.

The above tests you told to carry out, I did it.Here are the result what i got-
Furmark-gpu temp didnt go above 74°c
Prime95- the test run well didnt show any error as it says
HWmonitor=didnt show cpu temperature but it did for gpu(not exceeding 74 with furmark)

Any more ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Mind running furmark together with Prime95 for around 30 minutes to test if it freezes with it?

What is your power supply unit?

At this point I suspect either Power Supply problem (should be eliminated if it doesn't crash on Furmark + Prime95 after 30 mins), or windows problem. If it's windows problem, you'll have to reinstall them.

HardwareTwitch

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

As you told i did run both furmark and prime95 not for 30 minutes but for 15 minutes.(max tem ranged b/w 80-81 degree Celsius)

Reason for 15 minutes less because for same amt of time period when i ran the game , my computer got freezed up making somekind of jarring sound.
and due to this i have to restart it again to play it.
temperature i saw on HW monitor during random time while playing game b4 this hang/freeze was around 74 degree celsius.

My power supply is 450W.

Any more ideas..??
cuz its happening frequently now while playing game.

Is it possible that it maybe a virus or maybe game is at fault?
(game i usually play is online game)

Any more ideas would be welcomed.As long as it did not harm the machine itself. :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable:
Thanks in advance.