Sign in with
Your question

Computer Freezes(Need Help)

Last response: in Video Games
August 24, 2012 3:15:21 PM

I have been facing problem with my desktop pc from past 2-3 weeks.
My pc completely freezes/hangs and stop responding and it happens mostly when i am playing games on it.
On the other side when i do general purpose work i hadn't faced such problem.

So i think it may be game related.

Other options which i came to me is some kind of-
-virus
-hardware error
-some unknown error

Therefore, If someone has faced such random and frequent freezing/hanging of pc,Please do help me out on this one or anyone who can give guidance on how to rectify this error.

(Note- Also i wud like to add that if this section is not meant for this topic,then please guide me where i could post this kind of requests)
Thanks in advance.

More about : computer freezes

August 24, 2012 4:16:31 PM

Mind posting exactly what happens and your specs?

First of all, I'd suspect your memory. Use memtest tool to check it. Make sure to let it pass at least 3 times.

www.memtest.org
August 24, 2012 4:47:53 PM

Sunius said:
Mind posting exactly what happens and your specs?

First of all, I'd suspect your memory. Use memtest tool to check it. Make sure to let it pass at least 3 times.

www.memtest.org

Ok i'll post u the memory test result as soon as i am done with it.
Related resources
August 24, 2012 6:13:24 PM

memory test turned out to be fine.

Any more guidance that can help me...?

also i noticed that my gpu is hot to touch when such stuff happens. Is it normal for a gpu or abnormal?
August 24, 2012 6:21:18 PM

I suppose you got not errors?

Okay then. Next you should check temperatures.

In order to do that, you'll need three programs:

1. HWMonitor - www.cpuid.com
2. Furmark - http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
3. Prime95 - http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205

When you downloaded them, turn on HWMonitor, it will display temperatures. Find CPU and GPU on it. Then, turn on FurMark - do burn-in test and Prime95 - In-Place Large FFTs test.

Then, just sit back and looks at HWMonitor in 5 minutes, CPU and GPU should reach their maximum temperature. GPU should be below 80°C while CPU should be below 70°C.

And for the last time I ask you: post your PC specs. If it isn't temperature issue, I'll need to know them to help you further.
August 24, 2012 7:36:57 PM

Sunius said:
I suppose you got not errors?

Okay then. Next you should check temperatures.

In order to do that, you'll need three programs:

1. HWMonitor - www.cpuid.com
2. Furmark - http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
3. Prime95 - http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205

When you downloaded them, turn on HWMonitor, it will display temperatures. Find CPU and GPU on it. Then, turn on FurMark - do burn-in test and Prime95 - In-Place Large FFTs test.

Then, just sit back and looks at HWMonitor in 5 minutes, CPU and GPU should reach their maximum temperature. GPU should be below 80°C while CPU should be below 70°C.

And for the last time I ask you: post your PC specs. If it isn't temperature issue, I'll need to know them to help you further.

Sorry i didnt read the spec line in hurry, here are my pc details
(Note- my pc is not overclocked)
processor: intel pentium 4 631 cedar mil cpu 3.00Ghz
mainboard: intel D945GCCR
ram: ddr2 1.5gb(333 Mhz)
graphic card: 7300se/7200gs

If you need any more pc spec details fell free to ask, i'll reply with it as soon as possible.

The above tests you told to carry out, I did it.Here are the result what i got-
Furmark-gpu temp didnt go above 74°c
Prime95- the test run well didnt show any error as it says
HWmonitor=didnt show cpu temperature but it did for gpu(not exceeding 74 with furmark)

Any more ideas?

Thanks in advance.
August 24, 2012 7:54:45 PM

Mind running furmark together with Prime95 for around 30 minutes to test if it freezes with it?

What is your power supply unit?

At this point I suspect either Power Supply problem (should be eliminated if it doesn't crash on Furmark + Prime95 after 30 mins), or windows problem. If it's windows problem, you'll have to reinstall them.
August 25, 2012 2:49:42 AM

Sunius said:
Mind running furmark together with Prime95 for around 30 minutes to test if it freezes with it?

What is your power supply unit?

At this point I suspect either Power Supply problem (should be eliminated if it doesn't crash on Furmark + Prime95 after 30 mins), or windows problem. If it's windows problem, you'll have to reinstall them.

As you told i did run both furmark and prime95 not for 30 minutes but for 15 minutes.(max tem ranged b/w 80-81 degree Celsius)

Reason for 15 minutes less because for same amt of time period when i ran the game , my computer got freezed up making somekind of jarring sound.
and due to this i have to restart it again to play it.
temperature i saw on HW monitor during random time while playing game b4 this hang/freeze was around 74 degree celsius.

My power supply is 450W.

Any more ideas..??
cuz its happening frequently now while playing game.

Is it possible that it maybe a virus or maybe game is at fault?
(game i usually play is online game)

Any more ideas would be welcomed.As long as it did not harm the machine itself. :pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :pt1cable: 
Thanks in advance.
August 25, 2012 4:07:50 AM

At this point I'd suggest reinstalling windows to eliminate any possibility for driver/software faults. If that doesn't help, it's either your Power supply, graphics card, motherboard or CPU is dying.
!