Win_98 Fax Server and Win XP Pro Clients

I have an old Win98 box that is used to do various tasks like SNTP server, dyn
ip updater etc..

One of the tasks I want it to handle is network fax too.

I can get this setup to work on the Win98 Boxen to add the network fax server, I
can not seem to get the WinXP client to let me add the network fax server to use
that versus a fax modem in the WinXP box. The WinXP box has no modem what so
ever.

WinXP seems to want a Fax Printer of some sort, and under the Devices Tab there
is no option to "add device" like the Win98 client have. The "Add Printer"
option for a network printer doesn't like the \\server\FAX for a printer.

Any one done this and if so how?

Thanks!

Won't work, the XP Fax service cannot use the older Windows 98 network Fax
service at all. The only network fax service that Windows XP Fax can act
as a client with is the Shared Fax Service provided by either Small Business
Server or Windows Advanced Server 2003.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:19:02 -0700, "Hal Hostetler [MVP-S/U]" <hhh@kvoa.com>
wrote:

>Won't work, the XP Fax service cannot use the older Windows 98 network Fax
>service at all. The only network fax service that Windows XP Fax can act
>as a client with is the Shared Fax Service provided by either Small Business
>Server or Windows Advanced Server 2003.

Thank you for your response.

URRRGH! URRRGH! URRRGH!

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:51:33 -0500, xxnonexnonexx@tampascanner.info
wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:19:02 -0700, "Hal Hostetler [MVP-S/U]" <hhh@kvoa.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Won't work, the XP Fax service cannot use the older Windows 98 network Fax
>>service at all. The only network fax service that Windows XP Fax can act
>>as a client with is the Shared Fax Service provided by either Small Business
>>Server or Windows Advanced Server 2003.
>
> Thank you for your response.
>
>URRRGH! URRRGH! URRRGH!

>http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
>----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

As Hal implies, there is no "no added cost" way of providing a shared
fax service to XP systems without running a Server OS on the fax
server. However, if you don't mind spending a few dollars on software,
a Google search on "xp fax server" will give you lots of potential
solutions to your problem.

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher