Geforce 3 Ti200 Overclocking

G

I got a Chaintech geforce 3 Ti200 and it is fully loaded with ramsinks and a good gpu cooling fan and a hugeass heatsink, default speeds 175/400, Does anyone know how high i can push the card. I have it running currently at 180/405.

Conehead

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
The best way to oc your card is to raise the speeds in increments of about 5 mhz...then each time test them out for stability and/or artifacts (weird things appear in screen) If your system is stable and you don't notice anything different, then keep going. You should be able to get it waaayyy higher than that with just the stock cooling.
I have a Geforce2 Ti which is set at 250/400 stock speeds and I can oc it too about 280/480 with stock cooling.
Hope this helps!
Good luck with the oc!

"If there's grass on the field...play ball!!"

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
you should get it higher than that easily...
i got my MSI geforce 2 pro, which is stock at 200/400 to run perfectly fine at 215/445 with no errors and stock cooling.
only set it that high to benchmark it, and then clocked it back down so when it gets really hot in my room, i wont have to worry about frying my card...but that is just me being paranoid i think... :wink:
good luck!

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

G

U can push it more, i overclocked mine to 265/535 and it works like a charm. All with the stock cooling.
And it rocks on bench mark :)
<A HREF="http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=2881067" target="_new">3DMark 2001 Score</A>

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
Mine is at 240/520 right now....I haven't tried higher yet but I haven't had any stability problems yet. You can safely go higher I think.

<b><font color=green>Garbage Can?</font color=green></b>

G

Mines running at 210/470 as opposed to 175/400 and I've had zero problems, been running like this for 6months now . I have taken the added precautions mind of adding 2 case fans and one port vent...Just increase it in increments and if your having problems drop it back down.

Chasim

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2001
I'm building a new system but keeping my Geforce 3 Ti 200 (Hercules). What would a strong but conservative overclock setting be assuming stock cooling... Also, on the overclock settings (I'm new at this), one number is the GPU and one is the memory speed? And, it appears from the above posts that the first setting is increased less than the second - why is that? In other words, why wouldn't use do say increments of 5 on both?

Thanks for any help.

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
Update. I got it running at 240/544 now.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=white>bless</font color=white> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue>

ZeuSueZ

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2002
A simple question - what is the stock clock for a gf3 ti500?

Real men don't do backup...
...real men cry ALOT!

Linux RoxX

Kelemvor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2002
I can't give any great technical insight on this question, but I'll tell you what I can. That issue is due to the fact that the two parts come from two different places. NVIDIA produces the GPU (I hate NVIDIA acronyms btw) to run at a certain speed. They then determine what speeds (GPU and RAM) get the performance they want for each grade of vid card (Ti4200, MX440, etc.). When they're producing their GPUs, they use the ones that come out "better" for the higher grade cards, and thus, the higher clocks. For the GeForce 3, the Ti200 and the Ti500 are mostly identical, but the 500 was tested more. However both have their limits. If you'll notice, while the Ti500 will consistently get higher SPEEDS than the Ti200 in overclocks, it doesn't get as high of an INCREASE in speeed as the Ti200. For instance, I think that the Ti200 can get to around 250, an increase of 75MHz over stock speeds, while the Ti500 can get to 270, and increase of 30MHz over stock speeds.

Now you're asking yourself, "How does this explain the RAM?" If you remember, we're running DDR RAM. I THINK, THOUGH I AM NOT SURE that the RAM itself is only being stressed half as much as its rating. Not knowing exactly how DDR works, I'm not entirely sure how this would come about, but I'm almost positive that this is the biggest factor here. If you'll notice, dr jones bsc claimed an overclock of 35/70 on the GPU/RAM respectively. So, when overclocking, I suggest going in increments of 5/10 rather than 5/5. Also, as I mentioned before, the manufacturers actually put the RAM on the card and can choose any RAM that at least meets the specifications of each particular card. For the Ti500 that would be 4ns RAM, while the Ti200 would need only 5ns RAM. In case you don't know, the ratings translate into frequencies in the following way: 1second / "X" nanoseconds = Hz Rating. Many manufacturers (I'm almost positive your Gainward is one of them) put higher-rated (or lower, depending on whether you're measuring MHz or ns) RAM on their cards so that the enthusiasts buying them will be able to clock their cards just a little bit faster than everyone else, giving them an advantage in that market. Or, they just buy a bunch of RAM for the GF3 Ti line, getting a decent bulk price, and put the same RAM on the Ti200 as the Ti500, making the 200 rated to at least 500MHz. Therefore your enthusiasts are happy at a lower cost.

I can tell you this for sure: you will see the best gains IN MOST INSTANCES when you overclock at a rate of 5/10. However, this wasn't true with the GF2s. Though I have no idea why, I know that overclocking the RAM gave the GF2s their biggest increases in speed. After pushing the RAM to its limit, pulling the GPU up to speed gave very little incremental performance.

To answer the other question from ZueSueZ, the GF3 Ti500 was 240/500 while the Ti200 was 175/400. Go to http://www17.tomshardware.com/graphic/02q2/020418/index.html for a complete rundown of all cards.

She said "I love a man in tight jeans" and I said "They're not supposed to be tight I just got fat."

ZeuSueZ

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2002
Thx for the very clear and well written anwser....

Keep ti cool...the GPU I mean =)

Real men don't do backup...
...real men cry ALOT!

Linux RoxX

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
Heh, I didn't even remember what the stock speed was.....I left it there for about 2 secs before I overclocked it :smile:

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=white>bless</font color=white> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue>