Help with P4 1.8ghz (Williamette)

No_Tone

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Right now I have the FSB set as 112mhz and so my current clock speed is 2.02ghz. But I think I can push it up even more, but when I do, the computer won't boot. I'm a newbie at OC and have no idea how the V-core fits into OC. Right now the default voltage in the BIOS is 1.7V and I was wondering how far I could increase it without destroying my CPU and if that will help increase my FSB. I have plenty of cooling so that isn't a program (copper heatsink and 5200rpm fan). Also my mobo is a ASUS P4T and was also wondering why my BIOS only shows the maximum FSB is 133mhz, which means I can only reach 2.4ghz and I've heard people go much higher than that. Please help a newbie =)

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
the vcore is the amount of power that the processor takes... if you up the vcore, you allow the processor to take more power. This helps a lot when you overclock since it needs more power. This also makes it more stable. Up the vcore (use the smallest vcore jump you have, probably .05 volts).. then increase the fsb and see if you still have trouble booting. As for the maximum voltage you should have set for your processor when you overclock it more, i am unsure.

Jesus may save, but <i>I</i> invest.

Conehead

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
The most imporant thing to think about when you overclock is your temps!! Watch your temps! If you have pretty decent cooling, you can increase your vcore without worrying too much, but like I said, watch the temperatures and you should be fine.

"If there's grass on the field...play ball!!"

No_Tone

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
I was able to get my FSB to 122mhz and my vcore was 1.775V, but after 122mhz, my system won't start, and so I turn it back down and it works. Any ideas?

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
it's best to keep the vcore within 10% of default specs.
since the willy's default vcore is 1.75...then you should be able to bump the vcore up to a max of about 1.9 safely

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool: