What's limiting my performance?

Aug 24, 2012
I've been gaming a lot lately and I'm noticing my frame rate for newer games (arkham city, skyrim, etc.) is stuttering pretty bad. I just built my pc a few months back and it's bugging me.

Specs:
GPU: AMD radeon 6850 1gb
CPU: intel core i3-2120 3.3ghz
Motherboard: msi P67A-G43 (B3)
Ram: 8gb (don't know specifics at the moment.)
I'm assuming that's all I really need to look at.

I really just want to know what the biggest limit on my performance is and what's the best solution. I'd just rather not spend $120 on another 6850 for crossfire, when my CPU is actually the culprit. All suggestions are welcome!

Aug 24, 2012
I guess I should also ask about a sound card while I'm here. I'm big into music and plus better gaming sound effects would be nice. Can anyone say if they're worth the extra cash? And if so, any suggestions for a good budget one?

Gallarian

Distinguished
Skyrim is a notoriously stuttery game - especially on low end CPU's.

You can find an article on toms that shows just how much your CPU effects performance in Skyrim, and its quite significant.

Compared with a stock clock (3.3ghz) i5-2500k, one that that has been overclocked by even 1.0ghz to 4.3ghz shows an increase in performance by around 20fps. Also most newer games recommend a Quad core CPU.

As others have stated though, your PSU may be the problem.

Aug 24, 2012
To be honest, I bought it a while ago before I really got into computers because it was cheap and I needed to replace my non-working one. It was listed on eBay as "775w Modular ATX power supply" and that's it. I guess that should have told me something in the first place..
Btw sorry I'm slow to reply, by the time school and work are done I just crash when I get home.